Pet update

domsdead

Greenhorn
i'm sure i'm not alone when i say that pets are easily one of my favorite parts of stardew valley. after slaving away on your farm all day, going into your house and seeing your dog curled up by your cozy little fire or your cat all snug on your bed is such a unique part of the game and it adds a whole other potential area of content to stardew valley that is currently untapped.

i, for one, would love pet specific items that the pet can interact with. i'm aware that there are mods that add a dog house to the game, however mods aren't available to a large portion of the game's player base. pet specific items like cat scratching posts, those cat towers, decorative litter boxes, pet beds, food dishes for inside the house, dog houses, and things along the likes of those items would add a whole depth to the game. perhaps a unique interaction you could have with a pet bed would be to tell your pet to go to their bed at the beginning of the day or stay in a designated area for the whole day so they don't get in the way while you're planting and cause you to miss a spot.

another idea i would love would be more pet options, these don't even have to be as in-depth as the dog and cat are, maybe just decorative items like a snake, frog, or lizard terrarium, a fish or turtle tank, a bird cage, and or a hamster/mouse cage. these items would liven up the house a bit more and make it seem less lonely, especially in your first year(s) if you choose to wait to get a spouse.

as for obtaining these items, maybe a quest could be implemented to the game for building a pet shop that shane runs once the community center is done (whether by joja route or otherwise) that is obtained receiving a letter from marnie once you reach max friendship level with your pet. the quest could involve contacting robin and getting her the materials to build this pet shop. once built, you can go inside and if you go up to the counter you can purchase pet related items or maybe even something akin to the furniture catalogue but for pets. i believe children of the town would probably frequent this town and maybe even occasionally people from outside of the valley looking for a new family friend. maybe even you could have the opportunity to adopt a new puppy or kitten (depending on which animal that was chosen at the start of the game).

as promising as this may sound, though, i do understand that this would be difficult to implement, and ultimately, just receiving the pet related items would be amazing! let me know what you guys think :)

Last edited: