New Farmer n

would appreciate if I could get pointed in the right direction as far as what I should start off doing regarding daily tasks! Already met the wizard,

Boo1972

Farmer
If you met the wizard, I assume you’ve been to the community center. I would start trying to complete the community center bundles. The bundles are a good guide to what the game has to offer. mine when your luck is good; try to get down in multiples of 5 to trigger the elevator. Fish when you can. Honestly though, one mistake I made at first was not checking what new gadgets I could craft as I gained experience. I took a long time before I made my first keg, because I failed to check to see if I could. There is a guides and resources section on the forums if you’d like more detailed information on how to get your farm up and running efficiently. Not my thing, but plenty of people have great advice in that area. But daily, I check the tv to find out my luck. I always mine on high luck days, especially if it’s raining. Otherwise, I tend the crops and animals, check the calendar and help wanted signs and then either fish or meander around foraging for goods, chatting up the townsfolk, and hunting artifacts. If I’m feeling really ambitious I gather materials for crafting and make a thing or two (or 20 as my farmer progresses). But I’m sure you’ll find your own groove soon. Enjoy the game!

Uzzlegorf

Farmer
Tip for early farming: Even if you have the money, don't buy too many seeds if you don't have sprinklers yet.
Watering them takes both energy and time, and both are limited resources (Time even more so).

Tip for writing: A wall of text is not a nice thing to read ;)

Quillmagic

Farmer
Another tip! Check Community Center bundles ahead of time to set goals, and keep a few of everything. You don't want Jodi asking for a potato on the Help Wanted Board and you just sold it!

McBuggykinz

Farmhand
Check the TV every morning! The fortune teller tells you that day's luck and you can see what the weather will be like the next day (If it's raining you don't have to water your crops, so you can plan for other things!). There are helpful tips in "Livin' off the Land" too, but it's not a daily program.

Horsepipe

Farmhand
I pretty much lived off selling mayonnaise by the dozen in my first year, so getting a coop would be a good place to start. Albeit they are expensive but they pay for themselves pretty quickly. Also fishing is a good way to make money quickly.

Thaddeus_

Sodbuster
would appreciate if I could get pointed in the right direction as far as what I should start off doing regarding daily tasks! Already met the wizard,
Welcome!

This is a small, condensed guide I have decided to make for you :heart: (Mostly spoiler free)

You're going to learn very quickly like other users have mentioned that sprinklers are love, sprinklers are life.

In other news, Cauliflower, Melons, and Pumpkins are great for before you can grow things like starfruit/make artisan goods (just make sure to check the calendar and leave 1 extra day for harvesting/growing in case you forget to water one day)

For basic sprinklers a zigzag pattern, or diagonal row pattern works very well For example this is the diagonal row style:
tZXgUxX.png

Learn about scarecrows. They save you so much money in the long run when you have small crop fields because especially in early game crows are an absolute menace to you making any money.

If you need money, fish. You may not make a lot at first because of the basic or silver star quality of the fish due to your low fishing skill, but it a great source of extra income to bridge the gap when you need money for seeds. Pro tip: for maximum fishing money don't bother with treasure chests most of the time, by getting a perfect reel you raise the chance for higher quality fish. Later when you have a higher fishing skill they can be very worthwhile because you can get some rarer items.

Try to get the greenhouse if it all possible before winter as it allows you to grow things during winter guaranteeing a fair bit of income year round (You unlock the pantry bundle scroll by entering Pelican town between 8am-1pm to unlock the community center and then completing a few foraging bundles), if you can't do that year 1 try for year 2 and spend some time in the mines/fishing in winter.

SAVE YOUR ORES! You will need them for bars for sprinkler/artisan machines. Trust me. I made this mistake with my first playthrough and it severely delayed my progress.

SAVE YOUR GEODES! They can drop rare things, useful ores, and items you need for the museum.

SAVE YOUR WOOD/STONE! You will need it for buildings in large amounts. Wood can be expensive once you deforest your farm.

If you get a barn, start working towards cheese presses and oil makers Cheese sells for way more than milk. Truffle oil (truffles are produced by pigs, but they aren't cheap) sells for ~900g (I think?)

If you are low on cash try completing quests. Not only do you make money, you get nice and cozy with the inhabitants of Pelican town.

Plan. I cannot emphasize this enough. Think ahead of time when/how much :g: you'll need for materials for sprinklers, seeds, any fertilizer, artisan equipment etc.
More money in your pocket means greater potential to make money. Sure having the Furniture catalogue for 200000G is nice, but if you wait and invest you can walk away with 2 million gold.

If you don't want to mine make sure to buy materials before Spring 1st of year 2. They get more expensive.

Organize. If you don't want your farm to just be a giant field with buildings crammed everywhere make sure to organize your field areas, animal areas, crafting/building areas etc.

REMEMBER THE GIANT MUSHROOMS! They are amazing. Don't cut them all down, leave the non-fully grown ones. Red mushrooms (they drop this most commonly instead of wood) sell for 75-150g depending on quality and you get HUNDREDS if you play your cards right. It's up to you whether to sell the rarer purple mushrooms or save them for crafting, but if you do want to sell them they fetch 250-500g depending on quality. Best thing about mushrooms? Pure profit. No planting, no maintenance (besides cutting them down/making space for them to grow).

Go to events! They're fun and some have unique items you don't want to miss! Or if you have a specific SO in mind they can be fun for a different reason such as the flower dance where you get to dance with your virtual squeeze.

Don't be afraid to decorate! An aesthetically pleasing farm can be the difference between you booting up the game and going "Anoter day on boring soviet potato farm, how much :g: will I make today?" and "Jeez, I can't believe I was able to afford that painting, I can't believe I got all the stone for those paths, they look amazing!"

Experiment with different crops! As you can see from before, I love the big, expensive cash crops because they net a lot of gold, but other crops can make you a lot of money too! And later on they can almost all be turned into artisan goods.

Make sure to explore. There are secrets crammed everywhere that you'd never notice unless you thoroughly explore each area.

Check the traveling cart. Not found the traveling cart? It is south of your farm in the area of Marnie's Ranch (A little to the left of her). If you want to complete bundles or buy harder to acquire items it can be a great source, but it can be expensive.

Different areas have different fish. Different seasons have different fish.

Need iridum?
Don't fret, later you will get the Skull Key (at the bottom of the mines) which unlocks Skull Cavern (in the desert, top left) where lower levels will have you begging for copper deposits instead of more iridium.

This nearly made me quit the game when I first played because I thought it was a grindy mechanic and that the only way to get iridium was geodes or the mines.

Make sure to get tool upgrades, especially if you plan on doing a lot of handwatering.

If a train is passing through, go to the station for free drops from some carts.

Trellis or framed crops (Green beans, grapes etc.) prevent you from walking through them, so plan for that by leaving at least 1 space between rows

Fruit trees require 3 spaces between other trees for a total of the next sapling being placeable 4 spaces from the last.

Bees are truly the bee's knees. With some careful planning (and maybe guides) honey from flowers is very profitable.

Be careful what you gift NPCs. They dislike/hate certain items.

If you buy a Joja Membership be prepared to drop loads of :g::g::g::g::g::g::g::g:

Horses are 100% worth the hassle

NEVER sell artifacts unless you have already given one to the museum
You need to contribute 60 different items to the museum to get the Rusty Key to complete the magic ink quest, and unlock the witches' hut and a bunch of other endgame content such as Krobus, an NPC who lives in the sewers

Animals are expensive. Save them for when you're sure you can swing it. They produce stuff everyday, but only if you feed them.

Pet your animals. This will increase the chance for higher quality products.

Be warned: Animals can be labor intensive especially before you build a deluxe barn/coop with an autofeed mechanism.

Get kegs ASAP. Kegs let you make artisan good out of most crops, a juice if it is a vegetable, or a wine if it is a fruit.

Lastly and most importantly, have fun!

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Fruit trees require 3 spaces between other trees for a total of the next sapling being placeable 4 spaces from the last.
FYI, this isn't quite correct. Fruit trees can be placed 3 spaces away from each other. Each requires the 8 squares around it not have anything for growth, and additionally, two fruit trees can not have those 8 squares overlap. This means that if you divide a space up into groups of 3x3 squares, fruit trees can be planted in the center square of each group.

Thaddeus_

Sodbuster
FYI, this isn't quite correct. Fruit trees can be placed 3 spaces away from each other. Each requires the 8 squares around it not have anything for growth, and additionally, two fruit trees can not have those 8 squares overlap. This means that if you divide a space up into groups of 3x3 squares, fruit trees can be planted in the center square of each group.
Thank you. I thought that it was 4 spaces, I was not aware that the surrounding 8 tiles had to be vacant since I compulsively keep all my orchards weed and debris free.