WIP More Fences

BarelyGood

Farmhand
Welcome to More Fences!
A Stardew Valley mod by BarelyGood, leveraging the JSON Assets Framework
Screenshot.png
This thread will cover the progress on the mod as I work on it. The mod uses an early version of JSON Assets 1.7 and so, this mod should be available for download following the release of the 1.7 update. This thread will be used to cover the development of the mod on which I am also looking for feedback on, as I have no prior experience with pixel art and so I am definitely open to critique and suggestions! In the screenshot above you can see 4 new fences: Crystal, Bronze, Gold, and Iridium. More details to follow..

BarelyGood

Farmhand
I started by re-colouring the iron fence in the game for the copper, gold, and iridium resources.
Mockup.png
This was to get something done quick that I could test with. I had planned to create my own art for them later on but people seem to like the re-colours so much I'm afraid to now lol. If I do make my own assets I will have to keep the re-colours as optional files. But I personally believe I should try to include as much unique art as possible in this mod.
Fence3.png
fence.png
fence.png
fence.png

BarelyGood

Farmhand
As you can see in the following screenshot, I still need to do some of the thumbnails for the fences (as well as some worn/broken sprites). The next item I plan on working on is a brick fence. Please let me know what you would like to see!
Crystal.png

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
Looks good so far! My only suggestion would be to give the crystal fence a bit more "definition", some lines to separate the corner sections or higlight the different bricks a bit more.

BarelyGood

Farmhand
Looks good so far! My only suggestion would be to give the crystal fence a bit more "definition", some lines to separate the corner sections or higlight the different bricks a bit more.
I darkened and added to the outline. Let me know what you think :)
Crystal2.png

As you can see I also finished the thumbnail as well as the rest of the sprites. I'll post it here with the stone fence for comparison:
fence.png
Fence2.png

liquidcat

Staff member
I love the new crystal fences! Do you plan on doing prismatic fences as well? Loving all of them so far

BarelyGood

Farmhand
I love the new crystal fences! Do you plan on doing prismatic fences as well? Loving all of them so far
Prismatic fences would be neat! Although, my main concern is that the prismatic shard is such an epic item and a fence seems kinda mundane. I would have to come up with a really cool design (I guess I could recolour the iron fence again, but that's boring) and I can't come up with anything at the moment. I'll keep thinking about it and give you a solid maybe.

27dschild

Planter
Prismatic fences would be neat! Although, my main concern is that the prismatic shard is such an epic item and a fence seems kinda mundane. I would have to come up with a really cool design (I guess I could recolour the iron fence again, but that's boring) and I can't come up with anything at the moment. I'll keep thinking about it and give you a solid maybe.
Prismaratic fences would have to never decay for it to be worth it, honestly

Last edited:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
If you think of a cool design, maybe you could adjust the recipe so you get a lot more fences for just 1 shard? I probably wouldn't want to use up a rare item for 1 or 5 fence posts, but I might for more than that if I had some extras lying around.

Rotan

Sodbuster
Maybe prismatic fences you get 10.

They do NOT decay
They make grass grow x faster when within x tiles /or/ Better chance for grass to grow with in x tiles
No need for gates, you can phase through them but not animals

rainbow wall.png something like this. Something like an energy force field if that helps picture it.

Last edited:

Chililover

Planter

They do NOT decay
They make grass grow x faster when within x tiles /or/ Better chance for grass to grow with in x tiles
If you fence your garden in you could get higher quality crops. They could also grow faster.
or increase chance for giant crops. That would be cool!

27dschild

Planter

They do NOT decay

View attachment 1201 something like this. Something like an energy force field if that helps picture it.
Cool I like how you built on my idea

BarelyGood

Farmhand
Well looks like I'm going to have to include Prismatic fences lol. I have been busy lately, but now I have time to continue working on the mod. I'm currently working on the brick fence and developing my art skills. Making a completely new fence type is very different from retexturing or re-purposing assets that already exist in-game, and I don't want to have to compromise on quality with the artwork. Because of this, I'm probably going to save the prismatic fence for last, as I will have had the most experience by then and I have had ideas for other fences for a while now that I want to test out. Thank you for understanding :)

Odin

Staff member
Because of this, I'm probably going to save the prismatic fence for last, as I will have had the most experience by then and I have had ideas for other fences for a while now that I want to test out. Thank you for understanding :)
You should take as long as you need! Better to take longer and release the mod when you're really happy with it :)

Chililover

Planter
I love your texturing/ art, it really fits in to the game like it was meant to be there!
also if it helps i noticed the fence shadowing color you used was a grayish color. Which is right ofc!
But around in a little circle (around the edges of the base of the fence pole) if you notice in concerned ape's fences he has the color rgb(82, 42, 49)
I don't have a pic sadly lol.
Keep up the amazing work!

BarelyGood

Farmhand
I love your texturing/ art, it really fits in to the game like it was meant to be there!
also if it helps i noticed the fence shadowing color you used was a grayish color. Which is right ofc!
But around in a little circle (around the edges of the base of the fence pole) if you notice in concerned ape's fences he has the color rgb(82, 42, 49)
I don't have a pic sadly lol.
Keep up the amazing work!
Yea the shadows are messed up and I was hoping no one would notice lol. It's from me copying and pasting the layer in photoshop. It's a little thing I plan on fixing down the road. Glad you called me out on it though, otherwise I may have forgotten!

Chililover

Planter
Yea the shadows are messed up and I was hoping no one would notice lol. It's from me copying and pasting the layer in photoshop. It's a little thing I plan on fixing down the road. Glad you called me out on it though, otherwise I may have forgotten!
Lol every artist has there kryptonite hehe. Mine is hands! I can't draw them worth squat lol!

Man, these look awesome already! I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this.

Sorry if this is inconsiderate of me to ask, but where'd you get the early copy of JSON assets? (I'm assuming from the creator, but I would like to be sure lol). I've been looking into modding myself, and adding new fences was the first thing on the list of new things I'd like to try adding, so I'm curious.