More Dwarf Content!

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
This is probably one of my biggest wants at the moment, as the Dwarf is easily one of my favorite characters in the game. I can only imagine, seeing the content that we got for Krobus, that we're probably going to get something similar to that with the Dwarf at the bare minimum someday. Other than what is probably a given, though, I also have some other ideas to throw out.

The Dwarf as a Potential Marriage Candidate
Hear me out: While it would definitely be wonderful to be able to have the Dwarf as a roommate, there are certain things that give me the impression that they could potentially be more open to the idea of marriage than Krobus is. I say this because they show up to the movies with the Farmer totally undisguised and seemingly without a care, unlike Krobus. Nobody bats an eye at this, not even the person at the concession stand. They also show up to the Farmer's wedding without a disguise, and nobody bats an eye at that either. Not to mention, having at least one "supernatural" marriage candidate is practically Harvest Moon tradition. If married to the Dwarf, they could probably start attending festivals. And if the Farmer can have children with them, I hope they can be biological instead of a default to adoption regardless of player gender, because it would be really neat to have children with unique sprites. I can only imagine what the Dwarf's room and little outdoor area would be like as well. They'd probably also be seen in the cellar sometimes if the Farmer has one. Now, I do understand that this isn't going to appeal to everyone, so I have an idea for a possible compromise.

Giving the Dwarf a Romantic and Platonic Path
Let's say you wanna move the Dwarf in, but you don't wanna pursue them romantically. Well, you can definitely do that! This could work by having the Dwarf be able to move in at eight hearts instead of ten. However, their relationship with the Farmer won't increase past eight if they remain a roommate. Also, what if you change your mind later and decide that you wanna romance and potentially marry the Dwarf? You can do that as well! All you need to do is give them a bouquet, and then your relationship will be able to progress past eight hearts, you can see their ten-heart scene, and you can propose to them after seeing their ten-heart scene. Once the bouquet has been given, you should start seeing dating dialogue, and once married, the Dwarf should start sleeping in the Farmer's bed. But what happens if you give the Dwarf a wilted bouquet while they're living with you? This, of course, needs to be done before you're married to them, because you can only divorce them at that point. If the Dwarf is given a wilted bouquet while living with the Farmer, their relationship will drop significantly, and you'll probably see a lot of low-heart dialogue until you build them back up to high friendship.

Benefits of Having the Dwarf Around
The Dwarf would probably be an ideal NPC to keep around if you go in the mines a lot. This is because of the items that they might randomly give the player sometimes. Essentially, it's various items from their shop, for free. Most commonly, they'll give you a few cherry bombs or a couple of regular bombs. Less commonly, they'll give you a mega bomb or a miner's treat. And rarely, they'll give you a life elixir or an oil of garlic. The higher your relationship with the Dwarf, the higher the likelihood of receiving the less common items from them. Beware, though, that if your relationship with them is really low, then you probably won't be receiving anything from them.

Milk Quest
The Dwarf has this line of dialogue where they tell the player that they wanna know more about milk. So why not play off of that? I suggest a new mailbox quest where the Dwarf asks the Farmer for milk. In order for this quest to prompt, you need to have at least two hearts with them, see their two-heart event (if applicable), and see their dialogue about them being curious about milk. Once all of these criteria are met, the letter with this quest should appear in your mailbox the next day. The unique part about this quest is that it's signed with a name that the Farmer doesn't recognize, but there's something in parentheses that states that the letter is written in Dwarvish, so it's easy to deduce who the letter is from. That's right, the Dwarf's true name is learned in this quest, and after it's been completed, their name in their portrait, in the relationships panel, and the calendar changes accordingly. Upon completion, they'd give a little "oh, I guess I haven't told you my name, have I?" I don't know if this is intentional or not, but the Dwarf actually dislikes milk. If it is intentional, then I can see a humorous exchange where the Dwarf admits to not liking it very much, but you still get the gold and friendship increase, of course. Both regular milk and goat milk of any size will fulfill this quest. After this quest is completed, their dialogue about milk would either be altered or removed entirely. Also, this is one mailbox quest that cannot be deleted. It's essential, in a sense, because the Dwarf's four-heart event and beyond can't be triggered until it's completed.

Heart Events
I have ideas for a few of the events, but if anyone has ideas for the others, they're more than welcome! I was thinking that the four or six-heart event could be the event where it's finally learned if the Dwarf is male, female, or possibly even neither, and at least one of their heart events could pertain to the family they lost. As for their ten-heart event, what if it was another ten-heart event that you could royally mess up, like Penny's? What if a face reveal happens, and they ask the Farmer if they're still interested in staying with them after they've seen what they really look like? If the player says yes, then the Dwarf is overjoyed, and they go on about how they never thought that they could feel this way for a human before. However, if the player says no, then the Dwarf gets really upset, covers their head back up in shame, and runs off, leading to a major drop in hearts. And another idea I have is a group eight-heart event with Krobus and the Dwarf. In order for this event to trigger, the sewer event needs to have been seen, and the Farmer needs to have at least eight hearts with both Krobus and the Dwarf. In this event, the both of them manage to make amends.

Unique Consequences
So what would happen if you were to kick out or divorce Krobus or the Dwarf in favor of moving in or marrying the other? Well, there is a niche scene that can trigger in this situation, and there are two ways that it can play out. In it, the Farmer realizes what's going on and hides so they can eavesdrop. If the player has seen the group eight-heart event with Krobus and the Dwarf before the kick out or divorce, then they can be seen talking about what's recently happened. They remain friends, but are very noticeably unhappy about the situation. However, if the player hasn't seen their group eight-heart event prior to the kick out or divorce, then this conversation is going to be much more hostile, and Rasmodius will have to intervene yet again. If the latter variant of the scene is the one that is triggered, then the player will be completely locked out of ever seeing their group eight-heart event. To prevent either scene from triggering, the player needs to use the Dark Shrine of Memory before it's triggered. On another note, there's also a niche line of dialogue with Krobus that can only be seen if the Farmer has biological children with the Dwarf, divorces them, and then moves him in.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Lady Laurus

Tiller
I had mentioned this in another thread of mine, but since I have a lot of thoughts on this suggestion in particular, I figured it'd be better if I deleted the stuff about it in that thread and made a separate thread on it instead. This is probably one of my biggest wants at the moment, as the Dwarf is easily one of my favorite characters in the game. I can only imagine, seeing the content that we got for Krobus, that we're probably going to get something similar to that with the Dwarf at the bare minimum someday. Other than what is probably a given, though, I also have some other ideas.

The Dwarf as a Potential Marriage Candidate
Hear me out: While it would definitely be wonderful to be able to have the Dwarf as a roommate, there are certain things that give me the impression that they could potentially be more open to the idea of marriage than Krobus is. I say this because they show up to the movies with the Farmer totally undisguised and seemingly without a care, unlike Krobus. Nobody bats an eye at this, not even the person at the concession stand. They also show up to the Farmer's wedding without a disguise, and nobody bats an eye at that either. Not to mention, having at least one "supernatural" marriage candidate is practically Harvest Moon tradition. If married to the Dwarf, they could probably start attending festivals. And if the Farmer can have children with them, I hope they can be biological instead of a default to adoption regardless of player gender, because it would be really neat to have children with unique sprites. I can only imagine what the Dwarf's room and little outdoor area would be like as well. They'd probably also be seen in the cellar sometimes if the Farmer has one. Now, I do understand that this isn't going to appeal to everyone, so I have an idea for a possible compromise.

Giving the Dwarf a Romantic and Platonic Path
Let's say you wanna move the Dwarf in, but you don't wanna pursue them romantically. Well, you can definitely do that! This could work by having the Dwarf be able to move in at eight hearts instead of ten. However, their relationship with the Farmer won't increase past eight if they remain a roommate. Also, what if you change your mind later and decide that you wanna romance and potentially marry the Dwarf? You can do that as well! All you need to do is give them a bouquet, and then your relationship will be able to progress past eight hearts, you can see their ten-heart scene, and you can propose to them after seeing their ten-heart scene. Once the bouquet has been given, you should start seeing dating dialogue, and once married, the Dwarf should start sleeping in the Farmer's bed. But what happens if you give the Dwarf a wilted bouquet while they're living with you? This, of course, needs to be done before you're married to them, because you can only divorce them at that point. If the Dwarf is given a wilted bouquet while living with the Farmer, their relationship will drop significantly, and you'll probably see a lot of low-heart dialogue until you build them back up to high friendship. You need to be absolutely sure that you wanna give them a wilted bouquet beforehand, though, because this locks you out of ever being able to pursue a romance with them again.

Benefits of Having the Dwarf Around
The Dwarf would probably be an ideal NPC to keep around if you go in the mines a lot. This is because of the items that they might randomly give the player sometimes. Essentially, it's various items from their shop, for free. Most commonly, they'll give you a few cherry bombs or a couple of regular bombs. Less commonly, they'll give you a mega bomb or a miner's treat. And rarely, they'll give you a life elixir or an oil of garlic. The higher your relationship with the Dwarf, the higher the likelihood of receiving the less common items from them. Beware, though, that if your relationship with them is really low, then you probably won't be receiving anything from them.

Milk Quest
The Dwarf has this line of dialogue they tell the player that they wanna know more about milk. So why not play off of that? I suggest a new mailbox quest where the Dwarf asks the Farmer for milk. In order for this quest to prompt, you need to have at two hearts with them, seen their two-heart event (if applicable), and seen their dialogue about them being curious about milk. Once all of these criteria are met, the letter with this quest should appear in your mailbox the next day. The unique part about this quest is that it's signed with a name that the Farmer doesn't recognize, but there's something in parentheses that states that the letter is written in Dwarvish, so it's easy to deduce who the letter is from. That's right, the Dwarf's true name is learned in this quest, and after it's been completed, their name in their portrait, in the relationships panel, and the calendar changes accordingly. Upon completion, they'd give a little "oh, I guess I haven't told you my name, have I?" I don't know if this is intentional or not, but the Dwarf actually dislikes milk. If it is intentional, then I can see a humorous exchange where the Dwarf admits to not liking it very much, but you still get the gold and friendship increase, of course. Both regular milk and goat milk of any size will fulfill this quest. After this quest is completed, their dialogue about milk would either be altered or removed entirely. Also, this is one mailbox quest that cannot be deleted. It's essential, in a sense, because the Dwarf's four-heart event and beyond can't be triggered until it's completed.

Heart Events
I have ideas for a few of the events, but if anyone has ideas for the others, they're more than welcome! I was thinking that the four or six-heart event could be the event where it's finally learned if the Dwarf is male, female, or possibly even neither, and at least one of their heart events could pertain to the family they lost. As for their ten-heart event, what if it was another ten-heart event that you could royally mess up, like Penny's? What if a face reveal happens, and they ask the Farmer if they're still interested in staying with them after they've seen what they really look like? If the player says yes, then the Dwarf is overjoyed, and they go on about how they never thought that they could feel this way for a human before. However, if the player says no, then the Dwarf gets really upset, covers their head back up in shame, and runs off, leading to a major drop in hearts. And another idea I have is a group eight-heart event with Krobus and the Dwarf. In order for this event to trigger, the sewer event needs to have been seen, and the Farmer needs to have at least eight hearts with both Krobus and the Dwarf. In this event, the both of them manage to make amends.

Unique Consequences
So what would happen if you were to kick out or divorce Krobus or the Dwarf in favor of moving in or marrying the other? Well, there is a niche scene that can trigger in this situation, and there are two ways that it can play out. In it, the Farmer realizes what's going on and hides so they can eavesdrop. If the player has seen the group eight-heart event with Krobus and the Dwarf before the kick out or divorce, then they can be seen talking about what's recently happened. They remain friends, but are very noticeably unhappy about the situation. However, if the player hasn't seen their group eight-heart event prior to the kick out or divorce, then this conversation is going to be much more hostile, and Rasmodius will have to intervene yet again. If the latter variant of the scene is the one that is triggered, then the player will be completely locked out of ever seeing their group eight-heart event. To prevent either scene from triggering, the player needs to use the Dark Shrine of Memory before it's triggered. On another note, there's also a niche line of dialogue with Krobus that can only be seen if the Farmer has biological children with the Dwarf, divorces them, and then moves him in. I can only imagine that DangerouslyFunny would have a field day here.

Thoughts?
That is an amazing idea. I've always thought it would be nice if there was more to the dwarf.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
As far as marriage goes, I don't think it's fully out of the question for the Dwarf. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember hearing that, a long time ago, before the poll that would make Shane and Emily new marriage candidates, there was another poll to see which characters people were interested in marrying, and the Dwarf was on it, so they were considered at some point. However, they didn't poll very high, probably because of certain other characters in the poll.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
I would honestly love more Dwarf interactions with Krobus, I would like to see their story and relationship expanded upon. I kind of want them to interact more and turn into friends despite their circumstances!
Yes! I think it'd be wonderful if the relationship between Krobus and the Dwarf got some development!

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
It's so nice to see support for this. The Dwarf is one of the characters who could afford the most development, in my opinion.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Update: It just occurred to me that the hostile version of the event where Krobus and the Dwarf talk after one has been kicked out or divorced in favor of moving in or marrying the other could probably afford a "rabbit's foot" variant, much like the group ten-heart events with the bachelors and bachelorettes. To trigger this variant of the event, you need to be carrying a rabbit's foot in your inventory when it triggers. With a rabbit's foot on hand, instead of an argument that Rasmodius needs to break up happening, they accidentally bump into each other again, and while nervous and apprehensive at first, they actually manage to make amends on their own accord. The peaceful version of the event does not have a rabbit's foot variant, since it isn't hostile.

Lappy

Sodbuster
I think all those ideas sound fun!

How about something like this:

There is an event in the mines (or elsewhere - maybe a new region) where you see some of the carnage of the battle between the dwarves and shadow people. You find a mysterious relic, and *poof* the wizard appears. He says it's peculiar, as it has carvings of both races on it, and suggests you seek more information from the Dwarf or Krobus. Whichever one you take the relic to opens up one of two quest lines.

Choosing the Dwarf opens up a separate mine entrance in his living area. This option gives you more loot in the mines (ore, coal, gems, and minerals), and gain access to bombs that are effective as a weapon (small AoE and short fuse).

Choosing Krobus opens up a dungeon area in the sewers. This option gives increased attack and access to a weapon with bonuses (e.g. burning damage). Monsters in the sewer dungeon also drop more slime.

Whichever option you choose, you're told the newly opened entrance leads to a "back door" ~50 floors down to the opposing race's lair, with the goal of eradicating the enemy leader. But when you get there, you find a monstrosity (BOSS FIGHT!) that has been killing dwarf and shadow alike, while pitting the two races against each other. Just as you arrive, it kills a mighty warrior of the faction opposite the one you chose. With his/her dying breath, the warrior tells you to take their weapon (the bombs/enchanted weapon). The only way to defeat the boss is to use both weapons against it at once. Killing it restores peace between the dwarves and the shadows, and reveals the nature of the relic, which is.......

ummm.... not written yet.

Sorry, that's just the rabbit hole my thoughts went down when thinking about new Dwarf content. I think developing both the Dwarf and Krobus/shadow people would be great.

I really don't know whether the combat system is really conducive to boss battles, at least not on an iPhone. But hey, where there's a will...

I would REALLY love for there to be a third race involved just because three different options seems more interesting than just two. But the feud is really only between the two, and I don't know what the third could be. Junimos? Hehe... maybe if magic was implemented in the combat system somehow.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Okay, I just saw this in a video and (MASSIVE 1.5 100% COMPLETION SPOILER)
Dwarf Helicopter.png

it could totally be incorporated into a heart event with the Dwarf, maybe the eight-heart event? I think it'd be really cute, cool, and funny. For added context, this is seen during the 100% completion cutscene at the summit.