Legendary Fish Ponds

1313e

Farmhand
Hi everyone,

continuing from the suggestion I made on adding Prismatic Tools, I also had an idea of allowing legendary fish to be raised in a Fish Pond.
Currently, legendary fish are in a bit of a weird situation, where one only really catches them for the challenge (well, and to get the achievement plus Stardrop for catching all fish).
Besides the Legend, they aren't worth that much in terms of money.

In v1.4, the Fish Pond was introduced, which I was extremely happy about, as it added a new type of farming and actually made it worthwhile to catch certain fish.
I especially liked that the fish can produce items that are not money-related, to make gathering certain materials easier.
However, I also quickly found out that legendary fish cannot be raised in a Fish Pond.
Although this made sense to me as it would be broken to allow a player to get more than a single specimen of each species, I think that such a thing could still be added with some changes.

Proposal
Legendary fish can be raised in a Fish Pond like any other fish, with a few changes that are unique to them.
Unlike normal fish, a pond with a legendary fish can only have a single specimen in it (regardless of the player being able to catch more than one of them).
Because of this, instead of the pond having a population limit/meter, it has a happiness meter (that goes to level 10).

Legendary fish will have a happiness quest 7 days after the last one was fulfilled, and have one for every happiness level.
Fulfilling the quest raises the happiness level of that pond by 1.
The happiness quests are unique to the legendary fish species, and will require the player to gather quite a few rare materials.

Legendary fish ponds produce items just like any other pond, with the items being determined by their happiness level instead of the pond's population.
As legendary fish are unique, the items they can produce include rare items that are associated with that fish (e.g., a Prismatic Shard can be produced with a small chance by the Legend; or a Void Egg can be produced by the Mutant Carp; or the Angler can produce 10 Wild Bait; etc.).
Legendary fish ponds can also produce Roe, although they aren't guaranteed to do so (which would especially be the case for the Legend, as its Roe would be too valuable to get consistently).

Below is an example list of items that each legendary fish could potentially produce (without their probabilities or required happiness levels, and without the default Roe).

Legend (comes from the mountains, so most have to do with mining and combat):
  • 30x Spring Wild Seeds (as it is caught during Spring);
  • Gems (including Prismatic Shard);
  • Copper/Iron/Gold/Iridium Ore;
  • Copper/Iron/Gold/Iridium Bar;
  • Cherry Bomb/Bomb/Mega Bomb;
  • Rings of various types (only after they have been unlocked through normal play).

Crimsonfish (comes from the ocean, so most have to do with what you might find there):
This might be the only fish I have a bit of trouble coming up with items for.
  • 30x Summer Wild Seeds (as it is caught during Summer);
  • Beach foragables (not limited to current season);
  • Treasure chests;
  • Minerals;
  • Artifacts.

Angler (as anglerfish use their light to attract prey, most have to do with fishing):
  • 30x Fall Wild Seeds (as it is caught during Fall);
  • Bait of any type;
  • Tackles of any type;
  • Fish of the current season (not limited to any specific fishing location).
    Only fish from locations the player has access to can be obtained (e.g., Lava Eel requires Mines Level 100 to be accessible, and Sandfish requires the Desert to be unlocked).
    Higher happiness levels increase the chances of getting rarer, high-value fish.

Glacierfish (comes from the forest river, so most have to do with foraging):
  • 30x Winter Wild Seeds (as it is caught during Winter);
  • Foragables of the current season (with high chance);
  • Foragables of any season (with low chance);
  • Frozen Geodes (as the fish is ice-themed, but might be too close to the Ice Pip);
  • Maple/Oak/Pine Seeds;
  • Wood or Hardwood (might be too close to the Woodskip);
  • Fruit Tree saplings (with a very small chance) of the current season (except for Winter, which picks at random).

Mutant Carp (comes from the sewers, so most have to do with trash and monsters):
  • 10x Mixed Seeds (as it is caught during any season);
  • 20x Wild Seeds of a random season (same here);
  • Void Egg/Mayonnaise;
  • Void/Solar Essence;
  • Slime (Eggs);
  • Bat Wings;
  • Fishing trash (in high quantities);
  • Random cooked item.
    Higher happiness levels increase the chances of getting high-value cooked items.

As this proposed feature would add an additional use for legendary fish, it would require every existing save file to have their legendary fish catches reset when loaded for the first time after updating the game.
Otherwise, it would be unfair to those that have caught and sold the fish already.
This might complicate things though, so I am not sure if it would be feasible to do.

Additionally, it might be useful if Robin tells the player at some point (either personally, or through mail) that Fish Ponds exist and that she can build them.
An episode of "Livin' Off The Land" could achieve the same thing, but can potentially be missed.
This would remind/tell the player that fish have a purpose besides selling/cooking (which both are obvious uses), and thus decreases the chance of a player accidentally selling a legendary fish to later realize they would have liked to raise one in a Fish Pond.
This 'reminder' would have to be relatively early in Year 1, preferably before Fall.
It is possible to catch the Legend in Year 1 (this requires extreme planning to get to Fishing Level 10 before the end of the season), and the same goes for the Crimsonfish, but as both are unlikely to happen by an inexperienced player, the reminder would be required before the Angler can be caught (which only requires Fishing Level 3, and thus could be fished up by inexperienced players during Fall Year 1).

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:

Ellajoy

Rancher
Hi everyone,

continuing from the suggestion I made on adding Prismatic Tools, I also had an idea of allowing legendary fish to be raised in a Fish Pond.
Currently, legendary fish are in a bit of a weird situation, where one only really catches them for the challenge (well, and to get the achievement plus Stardrop for catching all fish).
Besides the Legend, they aren't worth that much in terms of money.

In v1.4, the Fish Pond was introduced, which I was extremely happy about, as it added a new type of farming and actually made it worthwhile to catch certain fish.
I especially liked that the fish can produce items that are not money-related, to make gathering certain materials easier.
However, I also quickly found out that legendary fish cannot be raised in a Fish Pond.
Although this made sense to me as it would be broken to allow a player to get more than a single specimen of each species, I think that such a thing could still be added with some changes.

Proposal
Legendary fish can be raised in a Fish Pond like any other fish, with a few changes that are unique to them.
Unlike normal fish, a pond with a legendary fish can only have a single specimen in it (regardless of the player being able to catch more than one of them).
Because of this, instead of the pond having a population limit/meter, it has a happiness meter (that goes to level 10).

Legendary fish will have a happiness quest 7 days after the last one was fulfilled, and have one for every happiness level.
Fulfilling the quest raises the happiness level of that pond by 1.
The happiness quests are unique to the legendary fish species, and will require the player to gather quite a few rare materials.

Legendary fish ponds produce items just like any other pond, with the items being determined by their happiness level instead of the pond's population.
As legendary fish are unique, the items they can produce include rare items that are associated with that fish (e.g., a Prismatic Shard can be produced with a small chance by the Legend; or a Void Egg can be produced by the Mutant Carp; or the Angler can produce 10 Wild Bait; etc.).
Legendary fish ponds can also produce Roe, although they aren't guaranteed to do so (which would especially be the case for the Legend, as its Roe would be too valuable to get consistently).

As this proposed feature would add an additional use for legendary fish, it would require every existing save file to have their legendary fish catches reset when loaded for the first time after updating the game.
Otherwise, it would be unfair to those that have caught and sold the fish already.
This might complicate things though, so I am not sure if it would be feasible to do.
Let me know what you guys think.
I love your ideas!

1313e

Farmhand
I’d love to raise the legendary fish! Maybe just not allow them to be fished like the other ponds?
That would mean you would never be able to get the fish back after putting it into the pond.
I personally feel like dedicating the entire pond to just a single specimen makes much more sense for a legendary fish, given that they require lots of space for swimming and they are unique.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea of a happiness meter for the legendary fish, though maybe it can be an entirely different type of fish pond? Like, the dialogue in the game is basically that the legendary fish wouldn't be happy there. So maybe we could build a type of pond that they WOULD be happy in and we can raise their happiness that way. Maybe a building or donating them to the community center where there's a huge aquarium (the one in-game is small right now but hey!), and you can keep tabs on them, receive quests from them, and get items from them

1313e

Farmhand
I like the idea of a happiness meter for the legendary fish, though maybe it can be an entirely different type of fish pond? Like, the dialogue in the game is basically that the legendary fish wouldn't be happy there. So maybe we could build a type of pond that they WOULD be happy in and we can raise their happiness that way. Maybe a building or donating them to the community center where there's a huge aquarium (the one in-game is small right now but hey!), and you can keep tabs on them, receive quests from them, and get items from them
A different type of Fish Pond would work as well, obviously.
Would indeed allow for a Fish Pond to be made bigger, such that the fish have more space.
I mean, one could even introduce a Deluxe Fish Pond that works for all fish (including legendary fish), and the current Fish Ponds are kept the way they are right now.

A different type of Fish Pond would work as well, obviously.
Would indeed allow for a Fish Pond to be made bigger, such that the fish have more space.
I mean, one could even introduce a Deluxe Fish Pond that works for all fish (including legendary fish), and the current Fish Ponds are kept the way they are right now.
Maybe one could use more material and make it larger, like an industrial sized fish tank. And you can see it swim around inside from time to time. Maybe endgame style materials?

1313e

Farmhand
This thread is falling behind quite a bit, so I am bumping it.
Would still like some more feedback to improve the concept/suggestion.

Hazel

Farmhand
My first idea at the time was that you'd need all the legenday fishes together to have them happy in a special fish pond but it doesn't make a lot of sense ^^'

Still I'd love to be able to do more with legendary fishes as you say... Maybe doing something around the fact they are so rare? That is, using the fish pond to help the population grow and make sure these fish species don't disappear? Who knows, maybe there was a lot of glacier fish before jojo industry did some huge industrial fishing and made them quasi extinct?
It would tie back to the idea of living in respect of nature and all? idk I'm just putting the first idea that came to me, but I'd love some legendary fish pond in any case!

Chililover

Planter
I think it should be more of a challenge if there was legendary pond. Robin could have a separate pond you can unlock, and if they could reproduce, you could have to feed it every day. Put minerals in the water,
Clean pond etc. But I think it's an amazing idea and would love to see this implemented!

1313e

Farmhand
I think it should be more of a challenge if there was legendary pond. Robin could have a separate pond you can unlock, and if they could reproduce, you could have to feed it every day. Put minerals in the water,
Clean pond etc. But I think it's an amazing idea and would love to see this implemented!
My idea kind of implements that already, where the fish have a happiness quest for you for every level.
But having a separate pond instead of using the default one, would work wonders as well of course.