Is the Golden Scythe worth getting?

cloverpatches

Greenhorn
Hey,

I've been reading up on the quarry mine out of curiosity, and noticed that you can get a Golden Scythe from it. From what I read, it...doesn't seem to be worth the trouble. So, out of curiosity, do you guys think it's worth getting? I don't know a ton about Stardew Valley, so I wanted a second opinion. :smile:

imnvs

Local Legend
Well, the quarry mine is rarely easy when you gain access to it, but eventually it will become so. At that point, there's no reason not to get it, imho. It has an extended reach compared to your regular one. (The extended reach isn't drastic, though.)

Cptldsilver

Planter
Hey,

I've been reading up on the quarry mine out of curiosity, and noticed that you can get a Golden Scythe from it. From what I read, it...doesn't seem to be worth the trouble. So, out of curiosity, do you guys think it's worth getting? I don't know a ton about Stardew Valley, so I wanted a second opinion. :smile:
It's a cool achievement but not that much different from the regular scythe. The haunted skulls that guard it have some interesting drops though, almost more worth just so you can kill the skulls.

Ereo

Helper
I'm lazy and I don't want to replant all my grass. It's easier to use the regular scythe for me cause it is less effective, leaving more grass. It also makes less grass into hay, I think, but I have very open layouts with lots of grass, so my silos are usually full by fall.

The quarry mine is not so hard once you get a good weapon and combat experience. Try to walk slowly and only have one skull at a time attack.

Rhiannon

Farmer
I like to cut grass for hay to store for the winter for all my animals. The golden scythe makes that much faster because you get more hay when you use it. So for me, it was way worth the minor trouble of the mine.

Rhiannon

Farmer
I've actually upgraded all of my tools to golden except the hoe. I've read it can be problematic for accuracy so I haven't bothered. I might at some point just for "doing everything possible in the game" experience.

imnvs

Local Legend
I've actually upgraded all of my tools to golden except the hoe. I've read it can be problematic for accuracy so I haven't bothered.
It is so worth it to be able to get the 3x6, from the iridium hoe. Sure, you'll probably have to replant your sprinklers every time you use it, but steel only gets 5 squares, the gold gets up to 9 and the iridium 18. It makes the first day of the season move just SO much faster when you upgrade that baby, especially in Spring.

Edit to add: Also, just fyi, you can not upgrade your scythe. The golden scythe is not received through upgrading. Slightly different concept.

Sophie

Tiller
you'll probably have to replant your sprinklers every time you use it
Just so you know, if you place your sprinklers or scarecrows on a piece of flooring they will not be removed by hoeing.
Also, you can make good money hoeing up the beach in winter, so I always upgrade my hoe as much as I can before the first winter - and make 3-4 thousand gold from the winter roots and snow yams. Very useful that first year!!

Lew Zealand

Helper
Just so you know, if you place your sprinklers or scarecrows on a piece of flooring they will not be removed by hoeing.
Quoting this for emphasis. I didn't get Hoe upgrades like Rhiannon and imnvs mentioned until I found out about using Flooring under your Sprinklers and Scarecrows. Now I fully upgrade the Hoe every time because more work in less time is the Lazy way.

I also get the Golden Scythe because it's the same type of thing, more range and hay for the same effort. So satisfyingly Lazy.

Hm... I usually unlock the Quarry late game, and by then I've already found a Prismatic Shard and got a Galaxy Sword. So... no. Maybe it's worth selling to the Adventurer's Guild though.

cloverpatches

Greenhorn
For context, the quarry was the first community center reward I unlocked; late in the first year in fact. I still want to get stronger equipment before trying to get the scythe, since y'all seem to encourage it. Thank you again :smile:

Odin

Staff member
It looks nice in my toolbar, but otherwise I don't notice the upgrade too much. I was already really far into the game when I got it though.

redbobcat

Rancher
I'm lazy and I don't want to replant all my grass. It's easier to use the regular scythe for me cause it is less effective, leaving more grass. It also makes less grass into hay, I think, but I have very open layouts with lots of grass, so my silos are usually full by fall.
I usually get the golden scythe as a trophy but use the regular one for exactly the same reason - it leaves clumps of grass behind which quickly grow back and ready to be cut again.

imnvs

Local Legend
What?! Why didn't anybody tell me sooner?

Well, I know a bunch of sprinklers that are gonna have some nice flooring put under them soon.

Sigrah

Farmer
What?! Why didn't anybody tell me sooner?

Well, I know a bunch of sprinklers that are gonna have some nice flooring put under them soon.
Here's another tip: If you have your sprinkler system set up and have enough winter seeds, you can plow your fields in the last couple days of winter, plant winter seeds in each farm plot, and on Spring 1 of the new year, you're fields will be filled with dead winter seed plants, but will also remain plowed and watered just like any other plot filled with dead crops at the start of a new season. All you have to do is clear the dead winter seed plants with your scythe, drop fertilizer, and plant your crops. It's a HUGE time saver.

Last edited:

katie892

Greenhorn
Tbh I’m more annoyed that it’s not an iridium scythe. All the tools are maxed out at iridium and I have this random golden hoe that doesn’t match up lol.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Here's another tip: If you have your sprinkler system set up and have enough winter seeds, you can plow your fields in the last couple days of winter, plant winter seeds in each farm plot, and one Spring 1 of the new year, you're fields will be filled with dead winter seed plants, but will also remain plowed and watered just like any other plot filled with dead crops at the start of a new season. All you have to do is clear the dead winter seed plants with your scythe, drop fertilizer, and plant your crops. It's a HUGE time saver.
This is a cornerstone of the Lazy way of farming and makes Spring 1 as Lazy as is feasible. I can't encourage this enough, mostly because that excessive encouragement would seem an un-Lazylike thing to do.