In Stardew Valley 1.5, there will be splitscreen co-op!

Odin

Staff member
Saw this and got rather excited. Now I feel as flat as a pancake. Me and the Mrs were quite looking forward to playing split screen on PS4.
Can't believe everything you read on the internet I'm afraid. Just so you and others know, Stardew updates get a PC release date pretty close to launch, and then generally there's no announcement for consoles and mobile until the update is available on each of those platforms. We'll of course be posting any news about 1.5 here on the forums, and you can also follow CA on twitter for game updates.

27dschild

Planter
See? This is why I have questions. 😉😘😝

lilan, that means having to get dedicated extra equipment, not something most will expect without a head's up.

And Ereo, wouldn't that just be defeating the purpose of split-screen? The purpose is generally for multiplayer on one device.
Its so you can see the other players, not to control up to 4.

ZZZ

Greenhorn
Okay... playing on PC, I'm trying to figure out how this splitscreen thing would work. I mean... how are folks controlling 4 different characters with 1 mouse and 1 keyboard? Platforms I understand because they have multiple controllers plugged into one box. I mean, I've played Goldeneye, ffs. It's the PC splitscreen I don't get.
Controllers (USB Wired, Xbox 360 and One, Steam Controller, Switch Pro Controller, PS4)

Xristos

Tiller
Okay... playing on PC, I'm trying to figure out how this splitscreen thing would work. I mean... how are folks controlling 4 different characters with 1 mouse and 1 keyboard? Platforms I understand because they have multiple controllers plugged into one box. I mean, I've played Goldeneye, ffs. It's the PC splitscreen I don't get.
I have the answer. Controllers

imnvs

Local Legend
I have the answer. Controllers
That was already pointed out. 😉
Just noticed some stuff in the new 1.5 picture
Okay, the things you point out... there has been much speculation about whether those things connect to each other and that new chest-like object... and much about the thing behind the furnace, but nothing definitive. We don't really know if those are connected at all, or if it just appears that way because of how they are rendered and their proximity to each other.

Rather than having to tell people what you're doing or where you are, you can focus on it, and they can just see it and come to you any time. Also, you'd be able to see if somebody new is doing something stupid or being a jerk and hoeing up crops or wasting resources. There's lots of good reasons in a co-op mode to have split-screen.

PorkChop

Planter
Rather than having to tell people what you're doing or where you are, you can focus on it, and they can just see it and come to you any time. Also, you'd be able to see if somebody new is doing something stupid or being a jerk and hoeing up crops or wasting resources. There's lots of good reasons in a co-op mode to have split-screen.
Nice thought. It would be good to see if they are being dumb. It would be easier to help them if they are a beginner or something too.

ISSsloth

Farmer
Nice thought. It would be good to see if they are being dumb. It would be easier to help them if they are a beginner or something too.
That would help me in multiplayer definitely. My friend is pretty competent (and I likely boss him around too much for him to mess up). But it's his first ever game and this one time I entered the forest and he left the forest at the exact same frames and couldn't find each other and that would have been useful then.

I feel like some of the items in the screenshot are actually functional machines, especially the one with the bone on it. That means they have to craft something.

goboking

Rancher
I feel like some of the items in the screenshot are actually functional machines, especially the one with the bone on it. That means they have to craft something.
I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what function that machine is going to have. The only thing I've come up with - and I don't think this is going to be the case - is we put in a handful of artifacts and get a random one out.