i have actually not introduced myself yet... hi!

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
hey there, i thought it would be nice to make a thread even though i've been here since the beginning. i think it's important to have a friendly relationship with staff!

my name is jade and i too love this funky lil' indie game known as Stardew Valley (i know, shocking!) and the first thing you should know before reading this thread is that I AM A VERBOSE PERSON SO THIS IS A BIG THREAD

i'm currently 24, i have a fluffy black cat and a bulldog mix, and i play all sorts of games in my free time. i'm trying to get back into reading with varying levels of success, i love all kinds of anime and manga, i enjoy horror and suspense, and i also am a big creepy-cute buff. i was born a sonic kid and will be forever, and had my start on the internet roleplaying my original characters with sonic characters via neopets

characterMimi.jpg

i'm an older fan of SDV, got the game for my birthday during spring break in 2016 (which was in march i think) and was absolutely hooked. it's funny because at first i didn't like any of the bachelors, but then i got sebastian's first event and i was attached to him. i feel bad for my friends at the time because i did not shut up about this game, and i certainly didn't shut up about sebastian. of course i've mellowed out since then, but those are my humble beginnings for the game.

2016 was around the time where discord was a thing but it wasn't nearly as widely used as it was today. i was an avid forum-goer for the chucklefish forums, which is where i expressed all my stardew adoration. in may of 2016, i started my first fanfic ever titled 'a farm in the forest' which at the time i was proud of, but my writing has changed a lot since then so it is very, very hard for me to read the beginning of the fic. i'm still working on it several years later, but i hope to finish it soon. it'll be not only my first fanfic complete, but my first complete written story. it's pretty rough to start off with (and the farmer's name is my own name, which i wish i didn't do), but i do enjoy later parts and i'm trying to look forward, haha. there's still a lot i have to improve on in the world of writing, but my fanfic was one of the pushing points for me to think of pursuing writing for real, so in college i changed my major to professional writing. my dad got very sick and i was feeling a lot of pressure, so i ended up not getting my degree. i do hope to go back one day eventually!

i definitely do write for fun though, and same with drawing. i've done art since i was a kid, so i kinda grew up with the expectation that i would be an artist in some capacity. i ended up accepting that i would probably end up hating my work if i treated it as a job, so i consider it a dedicated hobby. writing is a little different, where i feel like i can do it in a professional capacity and also just do it because i enjoy it. one day i would like to fully write my original stories and make games out of them, but that's waaaaaaaaay down the line.

mimi drawin.png

one day, i saw an invite to the Stardew Valley Discord in the chucklefish forums and I finally decided to get discord. it replaced skype pretty quickly for me and i basically lived on discord. some time passed and i eventually became a moderator on the SDV discord, then a year later the previous owner passed his ownership to me. it's always been such an amazing community and i've felt very lucky to be a part of it. since i was a big forum-goer before, i was hoping we'd one day get dedicated Stardew Valley forums... and then we did, and I got to work here!

Stardew Valley has been so weaved into my life at this point that i can't imagine a world without it. it's gotten me through a lot of tough days in college, it inspired me to work on my dreams, it introduced me to an amazing community of people, and it even gave me a job i really enjoy. and this all started because i was an excited fan wanting to talk on the forums in 2016, so i hope that there are people here who will have similar and positive experiences 2020 and beyond.

seb trad tumblr.png

puffercool senpai enlarged.png

anyways, thanks for reading and i hope y'all have a good one! hopefully now i seem much less scary when i post everywhere on the forums

Odin

Staff member
Hi Jade, welcome to the forums! :D

Seriously though, I'm also really grateful that I starting playing this game and then discovered the Discord server. It's great working with you as a moderation both there and here! I don't think I could ask for a better team than @liquidkitten and you.

I’m sorry about your dad. Hopefully you can go back to college and continue your degree soon! All your art is amazing, I love seeing it :) If you like horror/mystery books I would recommend The Wives (by someone I forgot lol) and Long Bright River by Liz Moore.

So, your name is Jade! Nice to know more about you then!

By the way, some of your stories there... remembers me a lot of myself, but it's my mom.
Stardew Valley has been so weaved into my life at this point that i can't imagine a world without it. it's gotten me through a lot of tough days in college, it inspired me to work on my dreams, it introduced me to an amazing community of people, and it even gave me a job i really enjoy. and this all started because i was an excited fan wanting to talk on the forums in 2016
Oh, we think alike! There is also a game I am really attached with, I mean like you did. It's called Starbound (I guess you have already heard the name). My main fan fiction is in that game. But I do also have it on Stardew Vallley too (well, not as big as the one on Starbound though).

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jade, welcome to the forums! :D

Seriously though, I'm also really grateful that I starting playing this game and then discovered the Discord server. It's great working with you as a moderation both there and here! I don't think I could ask for a better team than @liquidkitten and you.
Thank you, pls be gentle I am very new
I'm glad you are! I'm grateful too, it's been a lot of fun and I love y'all

I’m sorry about your dad. Hopefully you can go back to college and continue your degree soon! All your art is amazing, I love seeing it :) If you like horror/mystery books I would recommend The Wives (by someone I forgot lol) and Long Bright River by Liz Moore.
It's okay! He's alive and everything but he got colon cancer around that time. It's been a battle for many years since. He's still my dad, I think he is pretty healthy, but it's been frustrating that the cancer keeps coming back. He's going to have another surgery soon which can hopefully get rid of the problem. I'm very close to both my parents, the trade-off being that I'm not that close to my siblings haha. But I definitely take after my dad.

Thank you for the sweet art compliments and for the book recs! I have to finish the ones I have first, which I've been doing slowly but surely. I'm trying to reward myself with manga after I complete a book since I read those much more eagerly hahahaha

Oh, we think alike! There is also a game I am really attached with, I mean like you did. It's called Starbound (I guess you have already heard the name). My main fan fiction is in that game. But I do also have it on Stardew Vallley too (well, not as big as the one on Starbound though).
Yeah! I've never played Starbound but I know it had a pretty dedicated fanbase on the forums too. What's your fic about?

It's okay! He's alive and everything but he got colon cancer around that time. It's been a battle for many years since. He's still my dad, I think he is pretty healthy, but it's been frustrating that the cancer keeps coming back. He's going to have another surgery soon which can hopefully get rid of the problem. I'm very close to both my parents, the trade-off being that I'm not that close to my siblings haha. But I definitely take after my dad.

Thank you for the sweet art compliments and for the book recs! I have to finish the ones I have first, which I've been doing slowly but surely. I'm trying to reward myself with manga after I complete a book since I read those much more eagerly haha
That’s great. I hope the cancer goes away soon, it sounds like your dad is really strong and committed to fighting it off!
Also, I do the same. Whenever I finish a real book I reward myself with some comics/graphic novels lol

Quillmagic

Farmer
Hi Jade! Even though you’re obviously not new, I’ll welcome you anyway! The only reason I found out about these forums is by seeing your fanart in the old Chucklefish Forums, and wondering where you went, so I checked your tumblr and... here I am. Stardew is a big stress-reliever for me too. You did inspire me to start my own fanfic too! Thanks for giving me laughs with your Stardew comics.
Love, Quill

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Hi Jade,
People like yourself who can write well, and draw well, will always be in strong demand in this modern world, no matter where you live. Similar to what I read in your background, I grew up slowly in the "sticks" of Pennsylvania, and have never regretted acquiring the introspection that results from a semi-isolated lifestyle. It seems likely that you have only a few courses left to complete your degree, and once college life returns to normal, I would encourage you to go back and pick up your degree. Performing accomplishments in life brings about an inner strength that directly leads to feelings of well-being and happiness.
Although the word "cancer" is quite scary to all who are involved with it, providing that either the polyps are not too extensive along the length of the intestine, or the tumors have broken through the intestinal wall, colon cancer is a treatable disease. In many of the less complicated cases, the surgeon cuts the diseased part out, sews the two ends back together again, and the slightly shorter colon is still very much functional. Of course, any time the abdominal cavity is opened up, there are dangers stemming from infection, or leaks, or in restoring intestinal function, all of which can be anticipated and dealt with.

Yeah! I've never played Starbound but I know it had a pretty dedicated fanbase on the forums too. What's your fic about?
Oh, it's about a kingdom consist of many different races in Starbound (vanilla, mod and my own made races) located far far away from Earth. I call them, Evergreen Kingdom.

The fiction was mostly inspired by many cartoons I have watched, like Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and many other more (too much to mention), and some also from other games I have played (still too much to mention). But my main inspiration is from my country. We have the motto, "Bhinneka Tunggal Ika," which means "Unity in Diversity" or literally means "Many, Yet One."

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jade! Even though you’re obviously not new, I’ll welcome you anyway! The only reason I found out about these forums is by seeing your fanart in the old Chucklefish Forums, and wondering where you went, so I checked your tumblr and... here I am. Stardew is a big stress-reliever for me too. You did inspire me to start my own fanfic too! Thanks for giving me laughs with your Stardew comics.
Love, Quill
Aw hey, I'm glad you could find me and I'm glad you started your fic too! :heart:

Thanks for your kind post and your encouragements! I dropped out at my junior (3rd) year, which was extra frustrating at the time because I didn't really have the resources to do internships which was required for my major and I was feeling overwhelmed with everything else. I'll probably have a car by the time I go back, so hopefully it won't be too bad, but yeah, I hope I can go back!

Oh, it's about a kingdom consist of many different races in Starbound (vanilla, mod and my own made races) located far far away from Earth. I call them, Evergreen Kingdom.
That sounds really interesting and fun! I love your inspiration sources too, it sounds like a really cool fic

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Doing internships (even if unpaid) are a great way to see what you like (and do not like) while concurrently filling out your resume with an interesting list capable of catching the eyes of someone making hiring decisions. When you return to school (hopefully driving your car), you may find that some of the things you are required to do quite annoying, but at the same time, there will be less pressure on you overall, (you will not be clueless) and school will seem so much easier.

starbrite

Sodbuster
I'm so late to the not-new-welcoming party (haha) but nice to meet you Jade! It's so cool seeing other people also find inspiration and passion through video games :D. SDV showed me that I really did want to get into coding for a career, but another game really really made me get back into writing big novels. I wrote a fanfic about it ages ago intending to change the character names and the plotline halfway through anyway because I wanted to do original fiction (or more like a heavily inspired original fiction lol), but now it's turned into its completely own story where the characters have branched off into their own thang instead of being copy paste of who they were in the game. It's a fascinating process and it feels really nice for me personally to write my own characters with their own backstories and world build an entire continent, cultures, people, and magical powers. It's hard sometimes making up names and stuff, but I enjoy it! But ain't nothing wrong with fanfic or writing it, but I just find more enjoyment in original fiction these days~.

Anyway, I hope you finish up your fanfic! It sounds like it's really fun to work with and write! It feels awesome when you finally finish a big story, so you'll have to let us know when it's done so we can throw a big story-finishing party haha. Also, good luck with returning to school! It sounds like you really know what you want to do now, so I hope you're able to get that degree in what you want :). It will be nice to one day read your stories or even play your stories through a game! You never know, maybe you'll write a story in a game that'll win GOTY and best narrative of all time.