PC [HELP] Stardew Crashes when Loading a Saved File

lvanland

Newcomer
Hi All,

My mom is having issues with Stardew Valley crashing while it is loading a saved file (during the black screen with "Loading..." in the bottom left). We have followed all the suggested solutions on the wiki, we have also uninstalled and reinstalled the game, tried starting a new game, and checked that the files weren't corrupted through Steam. I installed SMAPI to grab the code. Then it froze rather than crashing (it may have crashed if I waited long enough) and below is what I got:

[game] Exception occured trying to access file 'C:\Users\Spinfinn\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\Saves\Lyla_186164604\SaveGameInfo'
[game] System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderFarmer.Read76_Farmer()
[game] System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (6, 2389797). ---> System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (6, 2389797). ---> System.Xml.XmlException: The 'quesTItem' start tag on line 6 position 2389780 does not match the end tag of 'questItem'. Line 6, position 2389797.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowTagMismatch(NodeData startTag)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEndElement()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Skip()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Skip()
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.UnknownNode(Object o, String qnames)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderObject.Read56_Object(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderObject.Read57_Object()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)

lvanland

Newcomer
Update: I tried finding common errors in the saved file code, but couldn't find any that matched other issues both here and on Steam. So I took her old save files from my computer and moved them to hers. She has some lost progress, but the files loaded and the game is running.
Any ideas on how to fix the other save files and or how to solve the issue if it happens again?