Switch [HELP] Online Multiplayer lag on 1 device

StinkyPete

Greenhorn
I have two switches, both with Stardew Valley, both on the same WiFi network, both up to date (1.4.4)

Both were working great in online multiplayer. Then maybe 2 weeks ago 1 started lagging. The only thing I can think of that I did right before this started was install the Nintendo Online chat thing it always prompts for when you go to online multiplayer.

Basically, every 30 seconds to a minute, the screen locks up for somewhere between 2 to 5 seconds. This happens if I am a guest in the game, or if I’m hosting. It also happens if I’m hosting and no one else is in the game.

I have removed the game and reinstalled. I tried installing intentionally onto a memory card, I tried installing intentionally onto the built-in storage. I started new farms. I signed out of the Nintendo Online app on my iPhone. Nothing has made a difference.

It’s just driving me crazy because it keeps locking up. Does anyone have any ideas???

StinkyPete

Greenhorn
In case anyone else runs into this, I was able to finally come up with a “solution”. I had to delete all saved game data (not delete the farms, but go into the Switch settings and delete the 65mb “Save game data” for my user. I had been using backing it up to the Nintendo cloud, so I was able to delete the data, create a new farm and test (where I had no issue), then re-download the saved game data from the cloud and test again - the issue returned. I then started deleting farms, that also didn’t solve it.

So the only solution for me is to erase my saved game data and start over. Hopefully the issue doesn’t arise again.

ConcernedApe

Creator & Developer
Staff member
Thanks for the report and for posting a solution. Before you started over, was this happening on multiple different farms or was it all on one farm? If one farm, could you describe the farm for me? How far into the game were you? Was your farm big and complex?

StinkyPete

Greenhorn
Thanks for the report and for posting a solution. Before you started over, was this happening on multiple different farms or was it all on one farm? If one farm, could you describe the farm for me? How far into the game were you? Was your farm big and complex?
I tried this on multiple existing farms that I was hosting, as well as new farms I created for multiplayer (also hosting). All the multiplayer farms were very small (all in Spring of first year - I only created them to test if the lag happened in any multiplayer game, since prior to that I was only joining online games). I did however have 2 other farms that were created in January, before the most recent update - they were just single player. Perhaps their existence caused some problem when the game updated. Single player never had lag, but maybe the file was messed up. I was only about 10 hours in on both of those.

The farm we play the most is hosted by my daughter, that was the one where I first started noticing the lag. I guess I don’t really know if that one will have the issue resolved as I haven’t tried yet - but I am hopeful since the ones I host are now working.
Oh, and in case it helps, I did also run the Switch option to “check for corrupt files” that it offered in case reinstalling didn’t work. That check found no corruption, but I’m not sure if it checks just the game, or the data too.