PC [HELP] Keyboard controls not working

peltonia

Newcomer
i just got sdv on steam for my macbook pro two days ago, it's my third time playing
the controls often won't let me interact with objects until i **** around and keysmash a little - like three out of ten times i won't be able to open a door/chest, go down a ladder, talk to a character, etc, my character just stands there. it's not frozen, i just can't do anything to objects except hit them with a tool. nothing consistently fixes it, i just have to push random keys and putz around until it works. clicking also does not work
similarly when i try to use tools a lot of times it'll automatically aim down, which is super annoying because i keep accidentally trashing my crops
i tried changing the controls, messing with the options menu, but i'm kind of at a loss now. game is basically unplayable
im not great at troubleshooting so this might just be me being an idiot idk. none of my other games have remotely similar problems so its definitely something with the stardew software or controls or something. i couldn't find anyone else with the same problem