Solved [HELP] Game crashes immediately on startup.

I have tried various "Solutions"

When I originally bought this game and downloaded it, nothing was wrong. It loaded properly and worked.

Now some months later I tried to start it up again, and its not even giving me the start screen. It acts like the screen is about to come up (It's still blank.) But then crashes.

I have no mods.

I have on multiple times now, uninstalled it and reinstalled it.

I tried to verify the integrity.

I tried to run as administrator.

I have tried the speaker issue.

I have tried the various ways to fix it under the thread "How to fix your game"

I tried to uninstall and reinstall the .net, I have windows 10 so It wasn't under programs, but it was under the "Installed updates", I took away both things I thought it was referring to. However, when I went to reinstall it, it said it was already installed. attached ill have pictures of screenshots ive taken of the uninstall and reinstall the programs/updates. I do have a lot of the C++ redistributable versions on my computer under the uninstall the programs, and I was thinking about uninstalling them as well. But im worried I would do the wrong thing.

Under the SMAPI site, it told me how to get my error logs, and then it says it cant read them

Here is what I have for the errorlogs:

Message: A previous Draw call threw an unhandled exception. See InnerException for details.
InnerException: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
at xTile.Display.XnaDisplayDevice.DrawTile(Tile tile, Location location, Single layerDepth) in C:\Users\Barone_\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\tide-83511\TileMapEditor\xTile\Display\XnaDisplayDevice.cs:line 156
at xTile.Layers.Layer.DrawNormal(IDisplayDevice displayDevice, Rectangle mapViewport, Location displayOffset, Int32 pixelZoom) in C:\Users\Barone_\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\tide-83511\TileMapEditor\xTile\Layers\Layer.cs:line 445
at xTile.Layers.Layer.Draw(IDisplayDevice displayDevice, Rectangle mapViewport, Location displayOffset, Boolean wrapAround, Int32 pixelZoom) in C:\Users\Barone_\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\tide-83511\TileMapEditor\xTile\Layers\Layer.cs:line 238
at StardewValley.Game1._draw(GameTime gameTime, RenderTarget2D target_screen) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 15581
at StardewValley.Game1.Draw(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 15239
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Paint(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameWindow.OnPaint()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameWindow.mainForm_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
Stack Trace: at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 152

On the website for SMAPI it acts as if I don't have to install it, but then someone said I do have to install it, when I went to try to install it it's options were; android , linux, and mac. I have windows. Do I use the android?

My other 2 games are working well; My time at Portia and Eastshade.

Someone suggested on steam to "Disable any "possible" softwares that may be intercepting the game (such as MSI afterburner, etc.)" I'm not sure what that even is.

So I honestly don't know what to do anymore cause I feel like I have tried everything I know of.
microsoft c++.png
no net.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Odin

Staff member
One thing you can try (if you haven't already) before installing SMAPI is deleting your startup_preferences, found in %appdata%/StardewValley on Windows.
On the website for SMAPI it acts as if I don't have to install it, but then someone said I do have to install it, when I went to try to install it it's options were; android , linux, and mac. I have windows. Do I use the android?
You will need to install SMAPI to use it. Click the "Download SMAPI 3.7.5" button on https://smapi.io/. The wiki has a complete set of steps for installing it and getting it set up correctly: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Modding:Installing_SMAPI_on_Windows
Under the SMAPI site, it told me how to get my error logs, and then it says it cant read them
If you haven't installed SMAPI, then any logs you have would be generated by the game itself. Once you install SMAPI and run the game, SMAPI will generate its own error log that you can upload to the SMAPI site.

Ok... so I installed Smapi, I know this is SO MUCH LATER (I'm sorry, A lot was going on and I didn't even have time to figure this out.)

So, I did try to run it with the 1.5 update to see if it would work, and it didn't.

But the minute I installed smapi it worked. Is that suppose to happen? I just thought smapi was an error decoder thing?

If its working now, Should I continue to copy and paste anything to anywhere?