PC [HELP] Game crashes after 1.4 content update

pew pew

Greenhorn
I've been trying for months and my main saved game crashes every time after 10 seconds of running. Tried on another laptop and mods are removed but the problem persists.

help.

Chililover

Planter
So just to clarify when you open your save it brings you back to the open save menu?
If so this might help!

Odin

Staff member
Are you saying you were playing in 1.3 with mods, then removed those mods and tried to open the same in 1.4? If so, the crash is almost certainly caused because that save needs some of the mods you were using to work.

Either way, if you're playing with mods, a log would help pinpoint the issue. Instructions on how to do that here: https://smapi.io/log

pew pew

Greenhorn
Are you saying you were playing in 1.3 with mods, then removed those mods and tried to open the same in 1.4? If so, the crash is almost certainly caused because that save needs some of the mods you were using to work.

Either way, if you're playing with mods, a log would help pinpoint the issue. Instructions on how to do that here: https://smapi.io/log
I wouldn't say they are mods but rather just texture tweaks I applied to certain animals and only remove them after the game crashing problem. I tried your suggestions and there is no smapi file or mods -as I also deleted that- present in my files.

pew pew

Greenhorn
So just to clarify when you open your save it brings you back to the open save menu?
If so this might help!
it doesn't bring me back to the menu but quits to the desktop.. I followed the steps you provided but I did found something weird as the thread suggested about deleting certain files but that deleted files reappear after I start the game.

Chililover

Planter
it doesn't bring me back to the menu but quits to the desktop.. I followed the steps you provided but I did found something weird as the thread suggested about deleting certain files but that deleted files reappear after I start the game.
did you rename the _old file to not have _old in it? Also if it brings you back to desktop this probably isn't the right fix!

Odin

Staff member
I did found something weird as the thread suggested about deleting certain files but that deleted files reappear after I start the game.
Yes, that's expected behavior. The idea behind deleting those files is that it would reset them if something had gone wrong with them, and the game will generate new versions without the potential issue.

I would say the next step would be to try the steps listed in this guide if you haven't already: https://www.stardewvalley.net/missing-corrupt-save-file-troubleshooting-guide/

pew pew

Greenhorn

Chililover

Planter
That doesn't look normal, I don't want to give any info because I'm not familiar with sdv saves and don't want to break your save lol but I know the one with (2) on the end shouldn't be there! Did you make those .baks?

pew pew

Greenhorn
That doesn't look normal, I don't want to give any info because I'm not familiar with sdv saves and don't want to break your save lol but I know the one with (2) on the end shouldn't be there! Did you make those .baks?
Ikr......no I don't think I added those files but I think the file with (2) appeared after kinda messing up following your suggested solution. The baks files I'm sure that I didn't added those myself.

However, when I first tried to add texture tweaks to my game I followed a tutorial from a website but now that website is gone and I can't exactly retrace how I applied those tweaks.

For my textures, I followed the website that teaches to specifically alter a specific numbers of animals' texture. So I;m able to change my main saved (A) game animals' texture, other saved games (B) are still vanilla. I feel like that is the problem.

Odin

Staff member
Now I realize my saved game that is crashing has more files than other
I'd suggest moving the file ending in (2) as well as all the .bak files out of the folder (don't delete them, just move them somewhere else. I'm not sure this is actually causing any problems though, because the game should just be looking for specific files in your save folder, and you have all the right ones in there.
For my textures, I followed the website that teaches to specifically alter a specific numbers of animals' texture. So I;m able to change my main saved (A) game animals' texture, other saved games (B) are still vanilla. I feel like that is the problem.
Are you saying you directly editing your save files to mod them? That could definitely be causing the issue.