Android [HELP] Can't launch game due to "missing" storage permissions.

Emily Fox

Greenhorn
The Android version of Stardew Valley refuses to go past the chucklefish intro on my Huawei P40 lite running android 10 and EMUI 10.1.0 . It requests external storage permissions, even though they have already been granted, and gets stuck there. Re-installing, factory resetting the entire phone, or re-granting / ungranting the storage permissions does not fix this issue.

My Huawei p20 lite, running Android 9 and Emui 9.1.0, has no such issues.

Stardew valley was installed on both using the Aurora store (An opensource play store replacement thing that allows Huawei users to use the play store), and it only does this on the P40, even after a factory reset.

Sadly, this makes the game unplayable. I really hope Chucklefish can fix this soon, so that I can play this game again!

Odin

Staff member
Please notice this problem moderators....
Hi! Just wanted to say that the other forum moderators and I are just that- forum moderators. While we can sometimes help people with issues that players can resolve on their end, we aren't developers. I certainly hope this issue gets fixed in a future update though.

Yahirevj

Greenhorn
YI already have that problem, even though an update came out that corrected it and I have an emui 10.1

Jhadeegul

Newcomer
I'm using my Huawei phone and I'm also experiencing the same problem. I hope this will be fix soon. Can't wait to play this game :sweat::cry:

ric

Cowpoke
Please can you confirm this is happening still with build 148 (1.4.5.148)? Make sure you are updated to that. If it's still happening let us know.
Also, please tell us your phone model and which version of Android it's running.

Freijadour

Greenhorn
Please can you confirm this is happening still with build 148 (1.4.5.148)? Make sure you are updated to that. If it's still happening let us know.
Also, please tell us your phone model and which version of Android it's running.
Still happening, my apps version at 148. I think this happening mostly on huawei devices. Stuck at chuckle fish logo after giving permission to access xternal storage

ric

Cowpoke
Did you get the game from the Google Play Store?
I know exactly where the problem lies. It seems specific to these phones. Which version of Android are you running?

Here's the technical explanation:

Stardew has always used the Read/Write External Storage permission for it's saves. This allows players to copy across from PC. In Android 10 they removed this permission as they deemed it a security risk, however, you can make it still work by adding this to the manifest file: android:requestLegacyExternalStorage="true"

We did this and this works on all the other phones. My guess is Huawei's version of Android doesn't have this implemented which is why it doesn't work. We can't switch to a different way of saving because all the existing players have their saves still in the external storage - the only way to read those is with that permission.

Android 11 brings in a new permission Manage External Files (https://developer.android.com/training/data-storage/manage-all-files) this will allow us effectively switch back. However, the article states:

"Due to COVID-19 related considerations, apps that target Android 11 (API level 30) or higher and need the MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission cannot be uploaded to Google Play until early 2021. This includes new apps as well as updates to existing apps."

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do until next year. The fix is ready though.

Freijadour

Greenhorn
Did you get the game from the Google Play Store?
I know exactly where the problem lies. It seems specific to these phones. Which version of Android are you running?

Here's the technical explanation:

Stardew has always used the Read/Write External Storage permission for it's saves. This allows players to copy across from PC. In Android 10 they removed this permission as they deemed it a security risk, however, you can make it still work by adding this to the manifest file: android:requestLegacyExternalStorage="true"

We did this and this works on all the other phones. My guess is Huawei's version of Android doesn't have this implemented which is why it doesn't work. We can't switch to a different way of saving because all the existing players have their saves still in the external storage - the only way to read those is with that permission.

Android 11 brings in a new permission Manage External Files (https://developer.android.com/training/data-storage/manage-all-files) this will allow us effectively switch back. However, the article states:

"Due to COVID-19 related considerations, apps that target Android 11 (API level 30) or higher and need the MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission cannot be uploaded to Google Play until early 2021. This includes new apps as well as updates to existing apps."

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do until next year. The fix is ready though.
Yeah, i got it from play store on the other device then clone the phone to my huawei device.
My huawei device running on Android 10.
So we're waiting for the problem on the next update, right?

Wb33

Newcomer
@ric Hi Sir, happy new year ! As we are now in 2021 what's news about publishing new update fixing this bug ? My daughter has a new tablet (Huawei Matepad 10.4) and we also encountered the same storage problem...
Hope update will come soon (available for testing has beta if need)

Regards

Yahirevj

Greenhorn
Good afternoon I don't know if it works but I tried to play it in an app called gspace that is in the gallery app and when you add the game if it allows you to play

the app is like a dual space but with google so you can download it without problems you can also make shortcuts
I hope this advice will help you

:whistle::!::love::smug:

venimeux

Greenhorn
The Android version of Stardew Valley refuses to go past the chucklefish intro on my Huawei P40 lite running android 10 and EMUI 10.1.0 . It requests external storage permissions, even though they have already been granted, and gets stuck there. Re-installing, factory resetting the entire phone, or re-granting / ungranting the storage permissions does not fix this issue.

My Huawei p20 lite, running Android 9 and Emui 9.1.0, has no such issues.

Stardew valley was installed on both using the Aurora store (An opensource play store replacement thing that allows Huawei users to use the play store), and it only does this on the P40, even after a factory reset.

Sadly, this makes the game unplayable. I really hope Chucklefish can fix this soon, so that I can play this game again!
I was having the same problem on my huawei device. It only worked when I downloaded the game from amazon app store. I think you can give it a try

Yahirevj

Greenhorn
Tenía el mismo problema en mi dispositivo Huawei. Sólo funcionó cuando descargué el juego de la tienda de aplicaciones de Amazon. Creo que puedes intentarlo
[/CITA]
hola hey hey no puedo iniciar sesión en el almacén de aplicaciones de Amazon cómo se las arregló para iniciar sesión porque me parece que la página no está activa