PC Help/Bug Unviewable area in ultrawide

RevDork

Newcomer
When I am at 75 or 80% zoom, the rightmost part of my screen has a black bar. The zoom buttons and notifications button are not selectable, although hovering over the energy bar does give the energy correctly. This happens in fullscreen and in window mode if the window is large enough.

Screenshot from 2020-05-30 17-23-18.png

The farmer can walk around in the black part of the screen blindly. I think a few other people have had this problem, I was able to find a reddit post and a post in the chucklefish forums.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/8wz37g/stardew_valley_black_bar_when_zoomed_out reddit post, with more detailed screencaps in their imgur link.

Taking a screenshot through the menu system does show the whole farm correctly.

Is this something that is being worked on or has been acknowledged? I have not found any solutions, though I have seen a few photos of people playing on ultrawides without this problem. Is it a linux only bug somehow?

cleantowels

Farmhand
I can confirm that I have this issue as well.

I'm running on the GOG version of SDV at the most current version. The primary monitor that I have is an LG 34GK950F running at 3440x1440p. I primarily run into the issue when at fullscreen, borderless fullscreen, or at a windowed version of the game maximized, and the zoom level is set to either 80% or 75%. At 85 -> 100% zoom the issue does not show up.

Previously I had the game running on a standard 1080p display and was able to play the game in any resolution mode at max distance zoom (75%) and never experienced this issue.

The problem presents itself in the Farm, Mountains, Town, The Beach, and Cindersnap Forest areas that I have seen. This happens with the vanilla game and with SMAPI; also a full clear-out and clean reinstall of the game and its config files (both in %APPDATA% and the game folder) and then running the game at 'defaults' doesn't seem to change the behavior.

At 85% the game looks normal, then as you decrease the zoom level and hit 80%; the blacked-out zone appears. Then moving to 75%, the size of the blacked-out zone remains but the amount of 'viewable' game area that is cut off increases as the zoom out is lowered. The zoom buttons and the journal button also I can confirm remain as non-interactable until the zoom level is moved back down to at least 85% (removing the cutoff area entirely) by going back into the main menu.

Here is an Imgur Album of the issue.

Last edited:

Doc_Mockingbird

Greenhorn
I can confirm this problem as well. always with the 80-75% zoom I start seeing the black border as well. hopefully with 1.5 around the corner this problem is looked at and solved.