Greenhouse Tips

imnvs

Local Legend
6 iridium sprinklers. The available tillable space is 10x12, and 4 sprinklers covers 10x10, which leaves a 2x10 area on one side, and you can cover that by putting sprinklers on the board right on the edge. This means that of the 120 tiles, you can plant on 116 of them and only have to water when something is first planted. Personally, I grow a lot of ancient fruit in there, though I leave some space for when I want to or need to grow something out of season. Mostly it is starfruit and rare seeds being planted when I have nothing else pressing to grow there.

If you're up for watering, you can line the walls with garden pots, but you can't get at them from the ends which means lots of individual watering, and I can't be bothered. Instead, I put fruit trees along the walls. You can fit 2 on either side of the door on the south wall, 4 on each of the western and eastern walls, 5 along the northern wall. (The wiki still says you can do 6 along the north wall, but that is not true as of 1.3 so far as I can tell.) Inside the greenhouse these fruit trees will produce every day of every season all year long, not just for one season like when they are planted outside, effectively quadrupling each tree's yearly production.

Ereo

Helper
Plant the fruit trees first, as 2 of the sprinklers will inhabit growth. Personally I don't have any next to the door because I don't like that they cover the tillable, but that's just an optical preference. I grow all fruits in the greenhouse, but for most profit pick the expensive ones.

Ancient fruit is the alternative for most profit at least work, ancient fruit + hops is even more profitable I believe. There is a detailed guide on that in the guides section.

I don't really care about profits and have a mix of anything that has multiple harvests, plus a couple of free space for rare seeds or anything I need.

You can line the walls between the tree with garden pots and plant tea for a low maintenance solution, as tea doesn't need to be watered.

estewanini

Sodbuster
Just to elaborate on what imnvs said, this is the schematic picture for the most optimal use of space taken from the wiki.

The end result would be something like this:

Of course, this is just optional and you could plant whatever you want to plant, I'm on the switch and I can plant 6 trees on the northside of the interior. I personally plant similarly to how Ereo plants, I keep the southside free of trees and also keep some chests to save seeds and fertilizers for the free plots.

I've done very effective greenhouse layouts as described above, with fruit trees along the walls, optimal sprinkler layout, and berries eventually replaced with ancient fruit, maximized for profit.
But my current greenhouse is my favorite. I started with fruit trees, since they don't need watering, and planted as many as could fit, everywhere. Once they matured, I started tucking in sprinklers, and they are in a messy arrangement around the bases of trees and on the wood border. I put in 6 of each seasonal berry, a couple cactus, and finally got my ancient seed, and began filling in. I think I have about 75 ancient fruit now.
I could have fit a few more plants if I had planned better from the start. And although the sprinkler arrangement is inelegant, it's mostly hidden by all the trees. I love how it looks so full, using the vertical space. And it's very fun to go hunting between and behind all the trees for those awesome blue ancient fruits.
There's no wrong way, so have fun! :)

I've done very effective greenhouse layouts as described above, with fruit trees along the walls, optimal sprinkler layout, and berries eventually replaced with ancient fruit, maximized for profit.
But my current greenhouse is my favorite. I started with fruit trees, since they don't need watering, and planted as many as could fit, everywhere. Once they matured, I started tucking in sprinklers, and they are in a messy arrangement around the bases of trees and on the wood border. I put in 6 of each seasonal berry, a couple cactus, and finally got my ancient seed, and began filling in. I think I have about 75 ancient fruit now.
I could have fit a few more plants if I had planned better from the start. And although the sprinkler arrangement is inelegant, it's mostly hidden by all the trees. I love how it looks so full, using the vertical space. And it's very fun to go hunting between and behind all the trees for those awesome blue ancient fruits.
There's no wrong way, so have fun! :)
See, right now I have a macro programmed into my controller to automatically water my crops. I have blueberries, peppers, strawberries and corn so I can make some quick gold to expand my farm.

There will be banananana(nana?) trees coming out soon. So when you plant, remember you'll want a few of those in there too. We have NO idea of the value of them, of course.

People always say 'Ancient Fruit'. And yeah, it works for most profitable but I also think it's kinda boring. And too much waiting time. Which is why I do strawberries. Still a valuable fruit.

Your best choice is something that repeats itself. You don't need to replant; you can just go in and harvest.

I may have gone over a couple of strategies in a post over in the guides forum.

I suppose it depends on how much work you want to put in to your greenhouse. You can hit a million and a half per season if you use Hops (assuming you have enough kegs to support them...), Ancient Fruit, and Peach or Pomegranate trees. But it does require daily harvesting of your fruit trees and hops, which can wear on a person.

Easy way is no fruit trees, just 116 Ancient Fruit. Still nets you a million per season, and only needs attention once per week. Do what you like with the perimeter, either plant some fruit trees or put in decorations.