Give formulaic keg and preserve items unique names

DannyDaemonic

Greenhorn
A lot of things become juice, jelly, or pickles. It would be nice if some of the items had proper names, most wouldn't even need a graphics update.

Some examples:
  • Pickled Cabbage could be Sauerkraut (or Kimchi?)
  • Apple Jelly could be Apple Butter
  • Pumpkin Jelly could be Pumpkin Butter
  • Coconut Jelly could be Coconut Jam
  • Coconut Juice could be Coconut Milk
  • Orange Jelly could be Marmalade
  • Cherry Jelly could be Maraschino Cherries
  • Potato Juice could be Vodka
  • Corn Juice could be Corn Syrup (and allow substitution for sugar in recipes?)
  • Rice Juice could be Horchata (or Tapai?)
  • Unmilled Rice Juice could be Sake (lilan castel's suggestion)
  • Tomato Jelly / Pickled Tomatoes could be Ketchup (Ellajoy's suggestion)
Most pickled vegetables are just "pickled X" in real life, but this is just off the top of my head so there may be other pickled vegetables with unique names. If others have any suggestions I can add them into the list.

Edit: Added a couple more.
Edit: Edited in a Sake and Ketchup suggestions from below.
Edit: It's actually Pickled Tomatoes. I wonder what options this would open up for pickled yams...

Last edited:
A lot of things become juice, jelly, or pickles. It would be nice if some of the items had proper names, most wouldn't even need a graphics update.

Some examples:
Most pickled vegetables are just "pickled X" in real life, but this is just off the top of my head so there may be other pickled vegetables with unique names. If others have any suggestions I can add them into the list.
Unmilled rice juice may be Sake

Ellajoy

Rancher

Some examples:
Tomato jelly=ketchup

DannyDaemonic

Greenhorn
Tomato jelly=ketchup
It just hit me that Tomato's are considered a vegetable in game rather than a fruit. So it would have to be in place of Picked Tomatoes, and pickled tomatoes are far from ketchup, but since the same Preserves Jar would make Tomato Jelly if it were a fruit, it's still a good option. Tomatoes are infamous for their fruit vs vegetable arguments. Scientifically it's a fruit but nutritionists consider it a vegetable, etc.

It just hit me that Tomato's are considered a vegetable in game rather than a fruit. So it would have to be in place of Picked Tomatoes, and pickled tomatoes are far from ketchup, but since the same Preserves Jar would make Tomato Jelly if it were a fruit, it's still a good option. Tomatoes are infamous for their fruit vs vegetable arguments. Scientifically it's a fruit but nutritionists consider it a vegetable, etc.
With the acidity of tomatoes, pickling them seems a bit overkill as well. Lol

Lappy

Sodbuster
I really like the idea of having more specific names for as many of the brewed, pickled, and juiced items. I also wish you could do the same with the processed roes.

This is veering off topic, and I worry that implementing these ideas would stray the game away from the core elements of SV and would put too much emphasis on crafting... but here goes...

For some of the items mentioned above, I imagine a secondary step to incorporate additional ingredients. For example, to me, I would make the recipes like this:
kimchi = preserves jar + cabbage + hot pepper​
horchata = keg + rice + sugar​
ketchup = preserves jar + tomato + sugar (and/or + vinegar?)​
The big question is: how would this be implemented?

1. Allow kegs/preserves jars to accept multiple items, like the sewing machine. One spot for the main item (cabbage, rice, tomato above), and one for a flavoring (pepper, sugar, vinegar).​
2. Make a new crafting item that accepts a second item (don't even know what you'd call it though)​
3. Make it a two-step process, with the second step using the cooking interface in the kitchen. For example, Jar + cabbage = sauerkraut, then sauerkraut + pepper = kimchi​
Option 1 is problematic because it may slow down the process when you just want to fill a shed's worth of jars/kegs with hops or ancient fruit.
Option 2 might be a pain because you'd need to use materials to build new processing machines and space to place them
Option 3 isn't realistic. Kimchi isn't made from sauerkraut; horchata isn't made from sake; ketchup isn't made from tomato jam.

Other ideas:
aioli = oil maker + oil + garlic (if olives are ever introduced, that could be used in place of oil) OR​
aioli = mayonnaise machine + mayonnaise + garlic​
(Aioli is traditionally an emulsion of olive oil and garlic. Modern - and possibly mostly American - usage is garlic or other flavored mayo.)​
sake = keg + rice juice (basically, process the rice twice)​
vodka = keg + potato juice (similar to sake)​
tequila = keg + cactus fruit juice​
mash = oil maker + corn + wheat​
whiskey = keg + mash​
For the last five, the final product's price may need to be scaled to account for the time taken by the extra step.​
In all seriousness, I think this is too much of a tangent, and probably more than I'd want to implement if I was ConcernedApe. I honestly don't think this stuff would (or even should?) be implemented. This is just the road my mind went down when thinking about the new recipes mentioned previously.

DannyDaemonic

Greenhorn
we need graphic updates for all of these items
I don't know if you're replying to me or some of the ideas others have given in replies.

These already have pretty loose fitting graphics. I mean, isn't the Orange preserves graphic just a red jar? If it's sufficient for orange jelly it should fit marmalade just the same. Even Maraschino Cherries come in a jar of red brine in real life, so the red jar here is actually a very reasonable fit. Corn syrup comes in glass bottles so the graphic for corn juice isn't unreasonable. And while I've never seen coconut milk come in a glass jar, I've never seen coconut juice come in a glass jar either. ConcernedApe should be able to get away with the original graphics.

Unless by saying we "need" new graphics that you meant it in a more general sense not tied to any name changes. All the preserves and all the juices do look very samey.