Gates and barn/coop doors

Lappy

Sodbuster
It's not uncommon for me to have to fuss over gates - I'll tap to enter the enclosed space for my barn/coop animals, and click on the gate to shut it. But instead of just closing the gate, I exit back out and shut the gate behind me. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts to get what I want - with my character inside/outside the enclosure with the gate shut.

What I'd like to see is for the character to shut the gate behind him/her if you tap on the other side of the gate (thus pathing you through it). If you tap on the gate itself, it opens or closes, and you stay on the same side of the gate.

Another problem I come across is being unable to enter a barn or coop if an animal is standing right in front of it. Trying to click the door causes the animal's status screen to pop up instead (showing friendship heart level, age, parent). I have to wait until the animal moves away from the door to enter the building.

Is this a common issue? Or is this matter that is specific to mobile users? Or maybe my control setup?

Lappy

Sodbuster
Are you using mods? This exact mod might solve your problem. Never had any troubles with gates ever since.
Sorry, I thought I mentioned it in the original post, but only mentioned being on mobile. I'm playing on an iPhone, so mods aren't an option.

I would guess that such a mod would be pretty popular. I think many would consider this a nuisance and if people knew about the mod, many would use it. If it's as popular as I am guessing, I would think it would be in line for one of the more welcome fixes in an update for non-modders.

redbobcat

Rancher
I’m playing on mobile and have the same issue with gates. After a while I simply removed all the gates. My barn and coop are still fenced off with a few small gaps where the gates were. I found it‘s enough to keep most animals inside. 1 or 2 will wonder off but it doesn’t cause much problem.

As for animals blocking the doors, not much you can do. In my case I close the barn and the coop overnight then in the morning I go inside to pet the animals and pick up produce. Only then I let them out.

eliasntr

Farmhand
Have you tried putting hay on your hands while moving around animals? On PC, holding hay on your hands prevents the status screen for animals from showing up, even while right clicking on them.

Lappy

Sodbuster
I’m playing on mobile and have the same issue with gates. After a while I simply removed all the gates.
Yeah, I've been thinking of removing the gates altogether too. I had one decay away in an area where I moved a coop away from, and I thought, "Do I really need the gates?" Your experience may have convinced me to do so.

As for animals blocking the doors, not much you can do. In my case I close the barn and the coop overnight then in the morning I go inside to pet the animals and pick up produce. Only then I let them out.
That's what I've been doing, for the most part. Sometimes I forget to close the doors and wake up to the menagerie in the enclosure, but I'm getting better at remembering to close the doors.

Another trick I discovered for anyone who is interested, having taken some cues from Uzzlegorf's forest farm: I placed barns and coops in the forest area on the left, and hardwood stumps will block animals from exiting the barn/coop when they respawn in the morning. This acts as a way to "close" the door automatically, and you "open" it for them by chopping the stump. This comes at the cost of one inventory slot for the hardwood (which you can trash if you're really strapped for space). And you just have to make sure a truffle isn't left in any of the four tiles the stump would spawn in.