French Quebec Translation Mod

DragonsLover

Greenhorn
Alright, so, where to begin?

Back a bit before version 1.2 of Stardew Valley, I wanted to translate the game in French for me and my sister. Without any knowledge on how to edit files, I've managed to discover a French community of translators on Steam that wanted to translate the game into European French and I asked them for help. Thanks to them, I've been able to translate the game on my own, all by myself, for several months.

Eventually, the 1.3 version was released and introduced the French language. I was happy to see that French was taken into consideration, but what a disappointment when I realized that the translation of the game was kind of bad. With the help of a friend, I've been able to see what the French translation looks like from the game files and, to be honest, I've been shocked to see how disastrous it was in some circumstances: many mistakes, wrong gender in some places, lack of gender splits, lack of "œ" and "Œ" usage, typos that could break scripts, and so on... And therefore, I kept working on my side on my translations.

Along the way, I have even found some little bugs or typos left in the original English language by ConcernedApe. I'm going to make a post in the Bug Reports section for reporting them to him. That's what it has been suggested for me to do from the Discord group.

After hours and hours of testing my translations in-game, revising them, tweaking the graphics files, and even by checking the source code, I've finally completed it recently and it's ready to be shared. It's probably not perfect, but it's definitely way better than the official French translation in many ways. In the case where there's any doubt about the quality of my translation, I just wanna say that I'm also the proofreader of the French Canadian language of Minecraft: Java Edition.

However, the thing is, I did everything of my own free will. I wish my efforts could be rewarded in a way or another. My dream would be that my translation could make it up into the game in an official way, but I highly doubt it would happen. For now, I can only share it as much as possible. Should I try asking ConcernedApe about this anyway?
Also, I know that in the rules, there shouldn't be anything relating to money (my apologies if I'm doing something wrong), but I just wanna say that if only I could get compensated financially for that, that would be the most wonderful thing that would ever happen to me, even though it's not my main goal. For now, I only go with donations for those who wish to pay me a little something for my efforts.

Now, should I share my mod on Nexus and post it here or I should simply attach my mod here and update it along the way? I suppose that I could do both? Is there anywhere else I could share my mod? Is there anything I have to mention about the mod? Right now, there's a Readme file (in French) included to explain how to install it along with details about it. Briefly, it replaces the French language in the game with the one of my mod.

Finally, I just want to mention that I'll keep following Stardew Valley's updates in order to update my translation as well to make it ready to play as early as possible. This mod is something I'm really proud of, and it makes me happy that I can share my efforts for every French Quebec players to enjoy. If my mod couldn't make it up to an official language, I could also offer help to translate the official French language of the game the best I can, since I'm not from Europe, if possible.

Thanks!

Odin

Staff member
My dream would be that my translation could make it up into the game in an official way, but I highly doubt it would happen. For now, I can only share it as much as possible. Should I try asking ConcernedApe about this anyway?
I mean, it can't hurt to reach out. You could try contacting him on twitter maybe.
Now, should I share my mod on Nexus and post it here or I should simply attach my mod here and update it along the way? I suppose that I could do both? Is there anywhere else I could share my mod? Is there anything I have to mention about the mod? Right now, there's a Readme file (in French) included to explain how to install it along with details about it. Briefly, it replaces the French language in the game with the one of my mod.
You can upload the mod here on the forums, on Nexus, or in both spots! I'd imagine more people will see it if it's on both sites. You can also share the mod's release on /r/SMAPI and in the #making-mods channel on the discord.