Fishing Spot Reccomendations?

shelbygrimes

Greenhorn
As a Stardew Valley veteran myself, I have my preferred places to fish. I was curious about everyone else's favorite lake, river, and ocean fishing spots on the map! As well as their favorite misc. places to fish (Calico Desert, the sewer, the mines, etc.) Hoping to not only inform new players of the great spots to fish but also to understand where everyone stands on this topic!

Excited to see what everyone's favorite places are!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

Rancher
A. Can I ask questions?

1. The Wiki says shade of water does not signify depth (for example, a short cast from the pier is still a short="shallow" cast), and what matters is how far you get the bobber from walkable paths. Is the Jodi's house spot an exception to that?

2. At the Hat Shop spot, is it significant that the farmer is not at the edge of the walkable area to get maximum distance="depth"? The Wiki says that casting west or east gives you more distance than casting north or south. That could explain the increased distance="depth" here? In real play would the farmer go to the west end?

B. The more play hours go by, the simpler my fishing locations get, other than where the Legendaries are. I mostly just fish in front of Fish Shop door or to the east (esp. Spring 2-4 Year 1), south of The Mines entrance, and (yeah) in front of Jodi's house. Pretty boring, huh? :whistle:

Benhimself

Rancher
Yeah, I'm a big fan of right in front of the fishing shop, because that way if you run out of a tackle you can jump in and buy a replacement, and you can sell all your extra fish just before the shop closes and clean up inventory space for the night's fishing.

The bridge between the museum and town is my favorite for town river fishing because between casts you can usually get cheap "hey what's up?" talking-friendship-points with a surprising assortment of folks walking by.

Of course usually the real answer is "wherever the bubbles appear because that's what inspires me to actually do some fishing".

Potatoes

Farmer
My favorite spot to fish is at the mountain lake, usually on the horizontal bridge south of the mine entrance. No particular reason why, I just like it there.

Cptldsilver

Planter
I could just be imagining this but I think better quality fish can be caught at early levels (0-2) at the rock east of willys shop.

SurfingMimikyu

Sodbuster
I could just be imagining this but I think better quality fish can be caught at early levels (0-2) at the rock east of willys shop.
It's not the lonely rock that gives higher quality fish specifically. You could cast anywhere in the pier as long as the bobber lands far enough from the dock, you'll get higher quality fish. There are no specific locations that give higher quality fish than others. It's based purely on cast distance from shore and whether you get a perfect catch or not. (and I feel like there's something else I'm forgetting...)

Grimzy

Planter
I bet I'm the only weirdo that likes to fish in the little river area in between Elliot's house and the place where you buy the marriage shell thing.

Xcandixkitx

Farmhand
As a Stardew Valley veteran myself, I have my preferred places to fish. I was curious about everyone else's favorite lake, river, and ocean fishing spots on the map! As well as their favorite misc. places to fish (Calico Desert, the sewer, the mines, etc.) Hoping to not only inform new players of the great spots to fish but also to understand where everyone stands on this topic!

Excited to see what everyone's favorite places are!
I like to fish in front of Leah's house because I want her to notice me. Lol.

Anhaga

Rancher
I usually like the end of the pier that the Fishing Shop is on, the spot in the mountain lake right next to where Sebastian stands to smoke (though I switch this up to the area in front of the Adventurer's Guild if I want sturgeon or lingcod), and the spot in town right in front of Jodi's house--I've had really good luck landing catfish there. If I'm trying to get salmon in the fall, I usually fish the area of the river between Pam's trailer, the blacksmith shop, and the museum. I seem to get more salmon there.

Tom

Rancher
It's not the lonely rock that gives higher quality fish specifically. You could cast anywhere in the pier as long as the bobber lands far enough from the dock, you'll get higher quality fish. There are no specific locations that give higher quality fish than others. It's based purely on cast distance from shore and whether you get a perfect catch or not. (and I feel like there's something else I'm forgetting...)
Specifically, casting to the side gives more length/depth than casting south (or north). I learned about this from discussions at the wiki, I think.

Boo1972

Farmer
My favourite fishing spot is just in front of Willy's place. Unfortunately it's also one of his favourite spots and as soon as he closes shop he comes out and tries standing where I am. Very awkward.
Sometimes Willy gets downright inappropriate. I need my personal space bubble. I like fishing off the lonely pier by the tidal pools. No real reason, except that it seems peaceful and remote. Also, Willy is never up in my business there. Also like fishing in front of Sam’s house. That easy I can eavesdrop and him and Sebastian.:wink:

@ndy

Farmhand
Lonely stone coz you can catch iridium fishes after attaining just 1lvl in fishing (i.e.) if you buy food at willis immidietaly) it also allows you to get to lvl 5-6 before mine opens so if you chose the extra money for fish you can be in heavy money quickly

other than that, just bubbles!
becose i am already over fishininged in those first 3 days where i fish from morning to night
but i dont want to throw fishing away