Farmer's Markets

Lady Laurus

Tiller
I don't know about y'all but I love going to farmer's markets. There happens to be an open outdoor market in my area 2 days a week. I got 2 jars of raw honey, 5 packages of biscotti, 2 almond cakes, 1 spa kit, 4 chocolate chip cookies, 2 cherry turnovers, a bouquet of flowers (those were free), and some radishes. I had quite the haul so far. Have any of you bought anything at a market of any kind?

Boo1972

Farmer
I love to visit the nearby farms. I buy boxes of seconds fruit to make pies and sometimes jams. The local dairy farm lets you feed the calves on Friday ( they butt the bottle with their heads) and sells mini-ice cream cones for under a dollar. They used to deliver milk- just like the old days. I drive to the mountain orchards for pick your own whatever just for the view. And to let the little ones run.

Lady Laurus

Tiller
I love to visit the nearby farms. I buy boxes of seconds fruit to make pies and sometimes jams. The local dairy farm lets you feed the calves on Friday ( they butt the bottle with their heads) and sells mini-ice cream cones for under a dollar. They used to deliver milk- just like the old days. I drive to the mountain orchards for pick your own whatever just for the view. And to let the little ones run.
That sounds really nice.

Dorloris

Sodbuster
I really love farmers markets but they don't really have any where I live. When I went to California there where so many little off the road stores I can't wait to go back.

Anhaga

Rancher
I love to visit the nearby farms. I buy boxes of seconds fruit to make pies and sometimes jams.
This is my main aim when going to our county farmer's market and to farm stands: fruit for jam or canned fruit. I did 20 cups of strawberry jam at the beginning of the month; now I'm waiting for blueberry season to get going strong enough to do blueberry jam, and after that will be peach (some jam and some canned). Other than seconds fruit, our markets here tend to be pretty expensive, so I have to limit my purchases to avoid blowing the budget.

Boo1972

Farmer
Our seconds are pretty expensive too. I live in a mid-sized city surrounded by country and I think it’s still common for people to make their own jams, jellies, and pickles. That keeps the price of seconds fairly high. However, it does mean lots of farms only 5- 20 minutes away so it’s a good trade off.

I actually work for my cities parks and recreation department. We are doing a Waterfront Market tomorrow from 7 until 1. We only allow vendors who sell items homegrown or homemade. I've encountered great food and item there. Lots of good produce and fruit, honey farmers selling honey, baked goods, homemade crafts, one lady makes dog treats that are dog friendly and scarfs made for dogs. I love helping run it!

Lady Laurus

Tiller
I actually work for my cities parks and recreation department. We are doing a Waterfront Market tomorrow from 7 until 1. We only allow vendors who sell items homegrown or homemade. I've encountered great food and item there. Lots of good produce and fruit, honey farmers selling honey, baked goods, homemade crafts, one lady makes dog treats that are dog friendly and scarfs made for dogs. I love helping run it!
That sounds really amazing!

Lady Laurus

Tiller
It's actually very fun, and I tend to talk to all the vendors and see their products [I.e spend all my money on their local goods lol]. And a lot of the time, the vendors give us deals, or give us free items if they did well that day. :D
They don't do that here really.

Lady Laurus

Tiller
processing it in the bathtub sucks. I wish I had help cleaning the wool but I have to wait until I stop feeling the nausea