[Event Spoilers] Shane

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
I think it would take a lot of changes to make Shane into a realistic recovering alcoholic. He'd have to go somewhere other than the pub for a while; there would be dialogue changes; his gift-preferences would get reshuffled... If his struggle wasn't so much with alcohol but rather with depression, he wouldn't necessarily have to forswear beer forever. Once his depression was treated and he stopped drinking to kill himself, he might have a much healthier relationship with booze!

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
(For the record, though, I think it would be totally appropriate to have him avoid beer after the event, if it could be made workable.)

And P.S. To the good Potted Plant: Please remember to put stuff like that behind a spoiler shield. If I were new to the game, I might well click on "Shane" and be very spoilered by that OP.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I edited the thread title so people are more aware this thread contains event spoilers!

As for the suggestion, I think it would be cool for his preference to change, but I actually find it more realistic that he still loves it, but is trying not to drink it. After the event, he stops drinking in the saloon. So I suppose it's more player responsibility to not give him any? idk

imnvs

Local Legend
I suppose it's more player responsibility to not give him any? idk
That's kinda how I have always done it. Just like I don't give my alcoholic but sober uncle any booze in real life, I don't give any to Shane in game, after he sobers up. I know it's still a love for him, technically, but I go out of my way to not give it to him despite that. I get him other things he would love, just as I do for my uncle when I give him gifts.

I don't say this to say I am against this idea. That is farthest from my intention. If Shane is truly reformed and sober, as my uncle is, he would quite likely be offended by someone offering him alcohol, especially someone that knows he was alcoholic and is now sober. I think that all sorts of alcohol should be a dislike (at least) after he becomes sober, if he is truly sober.

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
That's a good point, imnvs. The dislike reaction might not be for the BEER, so much as it is directed at the PLAYER for trying to feed his addiction. Point well made!

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Speaking of which, how come Shane (spoilers for 1.4)
hates Joja Cola as a gift despite the fact that he loves it at the Movie Theater and admits that he drinks it in his 14 heart event?
With that in mind, shouldn't he love Joja Cola?

Speaking of which, how come Shane (spoilers for 1.4)
hates Joja Cola as a gift despite the fact that he loves it at the Movie Theater and admits that he drinks it in his 14 heart event?
With that in mind, shouldn't he love Joja Cola?
Hmm... maybe, but I have one thing to add. He drinks beer until his 6 heart event, where he *supposedly* starts drinking Joja Cola. So I think he should start liking Joja Cola after his 6 heart event. Maybe, after his 14 heart event, he starts loving it.

Pottedplant530

Greenhorn
I edited the thread title so people are more aware this thread contains event spoilers!

As for the suggestion, I think it would be cool for his preference to change, but I actually find it more realistic that he still loves it, but is trying not to drink it. After the event, he stops drinking in the saloon. So I suppose it's more player responsibility to not give him any? idk
Sorry for not putting it behind a spoiler

Quirinea

Farmer
Hmm... maybe, but I have one thing to add. He drinks beer until his 6 heart event, where he *supposedly* starts drinking Joja Cola. So I think he should start liking Joja Cola after his 6 heart event. Maybe, after his 14 heart event, he starts loving it.
He mentions sparkling water in another event where he has bought a fine present to Jas.