Cooking (But better...)

PorkChop

Planter
Hey everyone! @PorkChop here again. Just thought of another idea. So I was thinking that you could add 3 things to cooking:

-1- Secret cookbook
So maybe there could be more secret notes that you can find that have hidden recipes. Just an idea.

-2- Skills
Maybe as you level up in cooking you could increase cooking bars. The idea is that when you cook it's like fishing. There would be a bar that would represent the little knobs on the stove. You would have to follow the instructions on your recipe and place the items in the indicated spots while trying to get the bar on the correct position. That is my favorite idea.

-3- experiments
Maybe experiment. You could place any food items and see what come out. It may fail but you might even get a recipe you can't find on TV or in a heart event.

That's all everyone. Hope to see your replies in the comments below. BYE!

Hey everyone! @PorkChop here again. Just thought of another idea. So I was thinking that you could add 3 things to cooking:

-1- Secret cookbook
So maybe there could be more secret notes that you can find that have hidden recipes. Just an idea.

-2- Skills
Maybe as you level up in cooking you could increase cooking bars. The idea is that when you cook it's like fishing. There would be a bar that would represent the little knobs on the stove. You would have to follow the instructions on your recipe and place the items in the indicated spots while trying to get the bar on the correct position. That is my favorite idea.

-3- experiments
Maybe experiment. You could place any food items and see what come out. It may fail but you might even get a recipe you can't find on TV or in a heart event.

That's all everyone. Hope to see your replies in the comments below. BYE!
So my farmer will be able to cook an awesome stew from horseradish and leeks!

Ray of Hope

Farmhand
-3- experiments
Cooking Pizza with your own toppings perhaps?! With different buffs for different ingredients?? The possibilities are endless!!!!
I really love this idea!

Although, unfortunately, there is no meat in SDV.. I like fish but not on my pizza...

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
Hey, all I know is that when we started trying to make our own pizzas at home, we hit on some weird ingredients that are really good. Potatoes and garbanzo beans are both surprisingly tasty on a pizza.

goboking

Rancher
It would be cool if Cooking was an actual skill and I'd enjoy it a great deal more if there was a minigame involved. The miningame could determined the quality of the dish (basic, silver star, gold star, iridiuim star). I also think we should be able to cook at campfires, making cooking relevant in the early game when it's most impactful.

PorkChop

Planter
It would be cool if Cooking was an actual skill and I'd enjoy it a great deal more if there was a minigame involved. The miningame could determined the quality of the dish (basic, silver star, gold star, iridiuim star). I also think we should be able to cook at campfires, making cooking relevant in the early game when it's most impactful.
EXACTLY!

goboking

Rancher
But the dished that could be cooked on the campfire would have would have to be limited and simpler, for example, only being able to cook the recipes bought at the Saloon?
If campfire cooking was added in conjunction with the addition of a cooking skill then the minigame could be significantly harder on a campfire vs a stove.

ISSsloth

Farmer
If campfire cooking was added in conjunction with the addition of a cooking skill then the minigame could be significantly harder on a campfire vs a stove.
or it could be similar to the training rod since the recipes have to be simpler.

ISSsloth

Farmer
Cooking minigame sounds interesting, make it if you fail it produces junk, while if you do it perfectly you get gold/iridium quality depends on what cooking level you're at.
Would the junk be a new type of trash? Maybe a different kind of junk depending on the dish? Botched fish would get a different result from botched pancakes would get a different result from botched eggs and so on?

Would the junk be a new type of trash? Maybe a different kind of junk depending on the dish? Botched fish would get a different result from botched pancakes would get a different result from botched eggs and so on?
Maybe you could get burnt food! So it could be a constant thing throughout the cooking mini game. You fail the mini game, you get burnt food.
But - would you lose the ingredients if you fail the mini game? If so, then the burnt food should be worth at least half of the dishes’ cost. If not, then the burnt food should be worth 0g. Otherwise people would just fail the mini game on purpose and sell the burnt food while keeping the ingredients.

imnvs

Local Legend
Maybe you could get burnt food! So it could be a constant thing throughout the cooking mini game. You fail the mini game, you get burnt food.
But - would you lose the ingredients if you fail the mini game? If so, then the burnt food should be worth at least half of the dishes’ cost. If not, then the burnt food should be worth 0g. Otherwise people would just fail the mini game on purpose and sell the burnt food while keeping the ingredients.
I'm not sure it needs to be worth half the dishes cost. I would prefer something like valueless junk that you could turn into fertilizer, maybe with the recycler.

goboking

Rancher
I'd be fine with a burnt version of dishes upon failure, but given the number of people who seem to struggle with or dislike the fishing minigame, I think there would need to be a beginner's cooking set that makes success much easier (or even automatic) at the cost of being able to make silver, gold, and iridium quality dishes.

One of the fun things about cooking being an actual skill would be all the recipes we could unlock along the way (including foods that grant buffs to cooking skill) and the choices on offer at levels 5 and 10.

PorkChop

Planter
I like everyone's thoughts on this. I think this would be a great idea if all of these ideas were incorporated. I am glad you all enjoyed this idea. I'll be sure to talk more. Thanks and BYE!