Switch [BUG] Random Witch Event causes game to crash

solmyrkvi

Newcomer
What's happening?
I stumbled across a bug that would cause my game to crash repeatedly right before saving. On this particular day (sometime in winter, year 3), the "random" witch event got triggered. However, after I'd called it a day and went to bed, the witch had picked my coop and did her business, my game would crash with a Switch-specific "The software was closed because an error occurred" message. My save file wasn't affected, but it resulted in a rather awkward Groundhog Day effect when restarting, making it impossible to get to the next day.

What seems to be the problem?
After repeating this particular day over and over and experimenting a bit, I think I found the culprit. Apparently the annoying witch got mad and took revenge for not getting her away. The coop she was targeting contained an auto-grabber, but that didn't seem to be the issue. Removing it didn't change anything. However, apart from the auto-grabber, I had a couple of other things in there, mainly for aesthetic reasons: 1 heater, 4 mayonnaise machines, 18 straw floors, 8 hardwood fences and 8 ornamental hay bales. That shouldn't be a problem, but for some reason it was. The Stardew wiki says: "The event randomly chooses one coop (each with an 80% chance if it's been upgraded at least once, and has fewer than 50 placed objects) [...]". The old hag was adamant on targeting that particular coop and even though I definitely had fewer than 50 objects inside, one of them might have gotten in her way.

So what's the solution?
Getting rid of all objects (not the animals) in my coop finally resolved the issue and let the witch do her thing. Once I got to the next day, I put it all back, though, because I'm stubborn.

simgart

Newcomer
Hi! I have the same problem going on, and I only recall having just the heater inside the coop, I'll take it off and see if that fixes the issue :)

simgart

Newcomer
Hi! I checked if the problem was having the heater inside, but taking it off didn't seem to fix the problem. I don't have any other objects inside, apart from some hay I put for the animals to eat. I can't take off these, so I don't have any way to solve this problem...