PC [BUG] Impossible-To-Complete Bulletin Board Quests

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Occasionally, a quest that is impossible to complete will appear on the bulletin board. For example, Clint might ask for ores when it's so early in the game that the path to the mine isn't even cleared yet. Similarly, other villagers might ask for other mine-related items at that point in the game as well. Willy is another big offender for these kinds of impossible quests. What he likes to do is request a fish that cannot be caught at that time, namely a fish that can only be caught when it's raining. For example, he might ask for a catfish when it isn't raining that day and not supposed to rain the next day, so by the time it does rain, the time limit on the quest will have already expired. I'm playing a fully up to date version on PC, and it has never been modded.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
I forgot to clarify another thing. Most often, it's Willy, but sometimes other random villagers might also request impossible fish.

margotbean

Sodbuster
Just FYI, Sardine and Catfish got removed from Demetrius' branch of FishingQuest in wrong seasons, but not from Willy's branch of code.
Source code: StardewValley.Quests.FishingQuest::loadQuestInfo()

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Update, Some More Impossible Quests That I Have Encountered In My Latest Save File:
- Demetrius asked for topaz in Spring of Year One. This wouldn't be unusual if not for the fact that he asked for it on Day Two, before the path to the mines was even cleared yet.
- Alex asked for a purple mushroom in Spring of Year One. Purple mushrooms can only be found in levels 81+ in the mines, in the Skull Cavern, in the farm cave (if mushrooms are picked), on the forest farm during Fall, or as a Feast of the Winter Star gift. At this time, I had not reached level 80 in the mines yet, nor had I unlocked the Skull Cavern or farm cave. The Feast of the Winter Star was also very far away, and I was not playing on a forest farm. Not to mention, this was Spring anyways, not Fall. Purple mushrooms can also show up in the Traveling Cart's stock, but the stock is entirely random. They can be found in garbage cans as well, but only after reaching the bottom of the mines. Essentially, there was pretty much no way to complete this quest.
- Shane asked for jade in Spring of Year One. Jade only starts appearing when level 40 of the mines has been reached, and at this point, I had not reached that level in the mines yet. Jade can also be found in garbage cans, but only after reaching the bottom of the mines. Again, considering all of these things, this quest was impossible to complete.

Last edited: