(Beta) Feedback Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strobe

Planter
I absolutely love the design and feel of the forums so far. I have some feedback:

1. Like others have pointed out, the invisible header looked like a bug to me at first! (Desktop, Firefox) Can't speak for mobile users but we might not even need a fixed header on desktop.
2. Developer Blog takes you to the blog but there is no link to come back, is this intended for the beta? My assumption is that this section will contain actual posts from CA in the future.
3. I also wanted to know others' opinion of moving 'Introduce yourself' to the 'Welcome!' section
4. From the DMs:
The password reset page goes back to the 'change password' page and the only feedback from the website is a short toast message "Your password has been changed!" I think it's easy to miss that and try again

From my experience in other forums, after resetting successfully, there is either a permanent "Your password has changed successfully!" message or it redirects you to a new page with the same message.
Possible bug:
Password reset email wasn't received -- both auto and manually.

Can't wait for the world to know about this <3

Edit:
1583463924939.png

Both 'Home' and 'Forums' take you to the same page.

Last edited:

corrin

Planter
i poked around the mod section a little bit--so far I like most of how it's set up, but a couple things i noticed:

• i don't really see a way to easily link to dependencies. that would be really useful--linking them in the post works, but people tend to skim long posts in my experience and it'd be helpful to have a big "you need this mod" link.
  • it would be good to have a category like "aesthetic" or "recolor" imo! for example, you could have a mod in Crops that just changes how crops look, or a mod in Maps that just recolors a tilesheet. personally i'd find it a lot easier to navigate if there were a category specifically for "this doesn't add anything, just makes it look pretty" vs stuff like JA mods that add new items or TMXL mods that add new areas.
  • another category i feel is missing is "modder's resource" and/or "framework", for mods that don't do anything on their own but provide either a way for people to make content packs, or a template or external app that helps create a certain type of mod.
  • i'm curious what the reasoning behind the "External Purchase URL" field option is? i don't really like the idea of encouraging paywalled mods especially since i'd feel like it was taking money away from CA. i do think it might be good to have a "here's where you can donate to me" field down at the bottom where the additional info/support URLs are, though!

Odin

Staff member
Great work Jade and CA on getting the forum set up! Few bits of feedback (although some of these have been mentioned already):
  • The top navigation bar on mobile and desktop is transparent. A background would help a good deal with readability.
  • The social links at the bottom could be a bit higher contrast.
  • It would be cool if the trophies had icons, I think that would make them a bit more fun.
  • I didn't see a rule that covered advertising, that would be worth covering.
  • This may not be possible, but the default notification settings for new users are a bit aggressive. Maybe that's just me though, and it is easy enough to adjust them.
  • I think the “New posts” and “Post thread” buttons would benefit from a different color to help them stand out. They also overlap another element slightly on mobile.
  • On the right side of posts in the sections view, I'm seeing two copies of the avatar of the last person to leave a reply. Haven't seen anyone else report this one so Idk if it's an issue on my end or not.
  • If you scroll all the way down on mobile, at least on the home page, there's a significant amount of white space below the footer. Not seeing this anymore.
  • Speaking of the home link, since it works the same as the forum link, I'd be in favor of just removing it. It would simply the list of top level links.
That's all for now, but I've only been on the forums for a few hours so if there's anything else I'll certainly mention it here! Despite the number of bullet points here, the forums really do look great so far : )

Last edited:

SgtPickles

Tiller
  • i'm curious what the reasoning behind the "External Purchase URL" field option is? i don't really like the idea of encouraging paywalled mods especially since i'd feel like it was taking money away from CA. i do think it might be good to have a "here's where you can donate to me" field down at the bottom where the additional info/support URLs are, though!
I had to personally check this. Didn't believe it til I set it up myself: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/index.php?resources/test-test-post-for-external.39/

Seems to be apart of XenForo's Resource Manager. Can be restricted via Group Permissions: https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/resource-manager/

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
@corrin and @SgtPickles

(late night post: i honestly thought the external purchase was just something that let you link to a place where you take donations.making mods buy-only is against the spirit of the game and the forums so i'll most likely remove it tomorrow. i'll see if there's any clearer option to be able to link your donation stuff)

minervamaga

Farmhand
Agreed with Corrin, paywall mods are a big no no XD Also, it seems the ignore button hides posts, but not reactions?

EDIT: Another minor note, maybe making the bug reports/support stuff clear it's for vanilla? That's a huge issue on the Discord.

corrin

Planter
Agreed with Corrin, paywall mods are a big no no XD Also, it seems the ignore button hides posts, but not reactions?

EDIT: Another minor note, maybe making the bug reports/support stuff clear it's for vanilla? That's a huge issue on the Discord.
yeah, agreed--it may be a good idea to have a separate section for getting help with mods and a bunch of stuff pointing people to r/SMAPI and the discord for faster help

corrin

Planter
i want to post some guides/resources to do with modding (using SMAPI, how to read a log, common modding tasks etc)--i think a modding forum would be helpful for that with its own guides/resources section, troubleshooting section, and mod making questions section!

soly

Tiller
I see the transparent header has been brought up by a few people. As far as I can tell, it's a thing on desktop forums as well (which I am using). It does feel a little bit odd, but it's typically not jarring in appearance and it doesn't really affect the use of the forum page, which I think is important.

The issue I see is that it's rather hard to use, since (yes, this has been mentioned before) the brown text colour blends in with the peachy colour of forum posts.

My usual fix when I'm doing graphic-designy stuff (I'm a dilettante, for the record) is to give the text a contrasting outline or "glowy aura". I'd probably use the deep blue of the forum header.

In a similar vein, the "Share" toolkit (feat. Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc.) at the bottom of the page is rendered in an inoffensive, middling grey colour, which blends in rather too well with the medium greens of the mountain.

I'll be exploring the site a little more when I'm free to see what I can see.

Avacyn

Cowpoke
I think it's not too needed, but for people like me who doesn't know much about coding in Forums (I was in a lot of them some time ago, but forgot the coding tricks and such!), I think we could have a Guide thread about Posting on Forums, focused on coding.

I also think moving the Introductions section to "Welcome!" would be a good idea. It will make the subforum more visible to new members.

I think it's not too needed, but for people like me who doesn't know much about coding in Forums (I was in a lot of them some time ago, but forgot the coding tricks and such!), I think we could have a Guide thread about Posting on Forums, focused on coding.

I also think moving the Introductions section to "Welcome!" would be a good idea. It will make the subforum more visible to new members.
Do you mean BBcode? That might be a good idea.

webxro

Cowpoke
Besides whatever was suggested, I have a small thingie, I think they are called Threadmarks, IDK how they work behind the scenes, but to regular users they allow the person that created the thread to mark it's own posts(not all) with a threadmark, and then allow people to navigate from threadmark to threadmark in threads that have hundreds of pages. It might not be useful right now, or at all, but sounds like something kinda cool to have if you post art and also talk about the posted pics, this way somebody that just views them can jump from piece to piece, or for fanfic chapters, jumping from chapter to chapter.

Also everything Odin said, I give a thumbs up to that.

Edit : apparently the forum doesn't want to email me for the 2FA

Avacyn

Cowpoke
I wasn't sure if Forums use BBCode or other kind of, but yes! A guide to BBCode with a list of useful things.

minervamaga

Farmhand
There's actually a BBCode guide hidden in the Help section. I found it while poking around last night; maybe a direct link to that somewhere more visible would help.

Another request: is it possible to clear your notifications? I often have trouble keeping track of which ones I've read already.

Status
Not open for further replies.