Best gem for crystalarium?

Marshmawo

Sodbuster
I always go for diamonds since theyre the most expensive (that i know of) but i feel like they just take so long to produce more that it might not be worth it? :( Im not sure what other gem to put in that would produce more regularly and would give me a good amount of money when selling. Any ideas?

Widget

Sodbuster
I always go for diamonds since theyre the most expensive (that i know of) but i feel like they just take so long to produce more that it might not be worth it? :( Im not sure what other gem to put in that would produce more regularly and would give me a good amount of money when selling. Any ideas?
I always have a few giving me jades that I can trade with the Desert Trader for staircases for the Skull Cavern. I like to have about 400 staircases on me in the Cavern (I get killed regularly anyway), and I switch the crystalaria back and forth between diamonds and jades.

redbobcat

Rancher
Diamonds give the most profit, plus quite a few town people love diamonds - so they make a nice gift too. I never make lots of crystalariums though, they work too slow and expensive to make imo.

I do like the idea of producing jades and rubies to trade for staircases and spicy eel to desert trader. Might give that a try, to help reach 100th level in skull cavern.

Boo1972

Farmer
I took the suggestion to produce jade to buy staircases for the skull cavern. It works really well for me. I like to have a store of 5 or so emeralds and rubies, partly for my fish ponds, but @Uzzlegorf chart actually stopped me from producing diamonds. I switched to star shards. Everything takes so long end game-wine, my favorite crops- that I switched to star shards because the profit difference was relatively small (yes, I know it adds up over time). I’ll take the loss in exchange for the fun of harvesting more often. Plus, I like them better. But, that’s just me.

zoezoemartin

Greenhorn
Diamonds give the most profit, plus quite a few town people love diamonds - so they make a nice gift too. I never make lots of crystalariums though, they work too slow and expensive to make imo.

I do like the idea of producing jades and rubies to trade for staircases and spicy eel to desert trader. Might give that a try, to help reach 100th level in skull cavern.
can't recommend growing jade to get staircases enough!!!! honestly, i was struggling to get to level THREE in skull cavern, and i didn't have the forge yet to get better weapons. i used a ton of staircases to just go straight down to level 100. don't come for me for "cheating" , the combat is hard !!!! :'-)

TLDR: USE THE CRYSTALARIUMS FOR JADE UNTIL YOU'VE GOTTEN TO LEVEL 100!

Lenora Rose

Farmer
I have three running now and they're diamond, amethyst and jade. Amethysts are fast.

Last farmer I had amethyst, frozen tear, obsidian and Jasper for spouse gifts (Abigail, Sebastian, and Jasper, the last being a mod), a couple for crafting, diamonds and emeralds and rubies for gifts for villagers, trade, or to toss in the bin... and ridiculously often had to wait until the next time they produced to be sure I still did because I'd click an extra time and something I was holding would go in...

Lew Zealand

Helper
Best? It's whatever you need most.

For many, that's not really 750g every 5 days like for Diamond as a single Truffle beats that every day for 3/4 of the year. I did Diamonds for a while until I thought it through a bit and decided that I need Crystalariums to provide a service, not g.

The Services:

Jade for Staircases
Ruby for Spicy Eel
Quartz for Bombs
Diamonds for Triple Shot Espresso

My Crystalariums are Skull Cavern / Volcano Dungeon / Dangerous Mines easypeasy kits.

I find that Fishing or Fish Farming and Mining and Veg Farming and Kegging and Cooking for all those things to be wayyy beyond what an easily distracted Farmer can possibly keep track of. Instead I can leave those Crystalariums quietly churning away on their own and just harvesting them when they come due as I walk by.

Ahhhhhh, now this is Stardew Valley at my speed.

1 Sunday trip a week to Ms. Desert Trader for a quick chat and set of purchases takes care of everything.

…mmmm what?

oh that tiny detail... yeah well, just don't ask how often I forget to visit her because it's close to 50%, but I mean really. She'll be there next week. The week after... Yeah in Winter when I'm less distracted, OK??

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
My sort of holy trinity with crystalariums is jade-ruby-diamond.

Diamonds make the most money and can be traded for TSE which is just a nice way to skip the steps of growing it yourself or selling and buying from Clint.

Ruby can be traded for spicy eel and duplicates fast as well. Spicy eel gives a speed and luck buff for about 1.5x the duration of TSE. You only need about 7-8 crystalariums duping this to be permanently buffed up even if you do frequent sc dives with them. I would recommend about 20+ though for convenience.

Jade can be traded for staircases, with a deconstructor this is the best way to get stone and staircases themselves are incredibly powerful.

The latter two also make a good amount of money too so you aren’t sacrificing too much profit if you need to sell them in a pinch.

imnvs

Local Legend
Well, you use the crystalarium to produce jade, then trade the jade for staircases... then put staircases in the deconstructor and it takes them apart to make stone.

Also, hands down you get the most g/day from a crystalarium with diamonds. Early my crystalariums will all be jade, but once I have basically unlimited staircases, it's all diamonds after that.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
why in the world would you need 3M stone? where would you put them?
Well each chest holds 35964 so it’s only about 100 chests that are required to store everything.

As for what I’m doing with them, crystalariums, a chest of crystalariums just for the sole purpose of having one.

MRight

Planter
Diamond for profit quickly, jade for larger skull cavern profit due to staircase trades
(And as others mentioned, stone)