Based off of old Nintendo DS game?

trace

Newcomer
There was a game that I used to play on my DS quite a while back and this game seems almost identical. Was this game based off of an old Nintendo DS game? the name of the game was harvest moon ds i believe.

mkrmas

Farmhand
Yes, this game is based on Harvest Moon

And no, not only for ds, but for super nintendo, nintendo 64,3ds, nintendo switch, ps4 and xbox

greyfoggyday

Farmhand
I think it was mentioned by Eric himself in an interview that he felt Harvest Moon hit it's peak with the Playstation release of Back To Nature. I have to agree with him, as that's my favourite version of the game and in my opinion the most well done and well balanced. It was based heavily off of Harvest Moon 64 but it improved on it in every way. The PS2 release was just a major step down and every other release after that felt the same.

SgtPickles

Tiller
I think it was mentioned by Eric himself in an interview that he felt Harvest Moon hit it's peak with the Playstation release of Back To Nature. I have to agree with him, as that's my favourite version of the game and in my opinion the most well done and well balanced. It was based heavily off of Harvest Moon 64 but it improved on it in every way. The PS2 release was just a major step down and every other release after that felt the same.
Don't speak of the PS2 version ):<

I felt AWL was also great. Ultimately I'd have to reinforce and agree with you, Back to Nature (and Friends of Mineral Town) was peak Harvest Moon. I went from Original on SNES to Back to Nature, then to N64. When I learned that there was more than two crops per season, AND the fall season had crops, I was flabbergasted.

The SNES version only had two crops per season: Turnips and Potatoes in Spring, Tomato and Corn in Summer. There was no crops in the fall. The game was absolutely limited in all ways imagined. But it was the first of the genre. I'd recommend anyone to play it, but do note you will be diving into something that is antique in regards to game design.

Potatoes

Farmer
Don't speak of the PS2 version ):<

I felt AWL was also great. Ultimately I'd have to reinforce and agree with you, Back to Nature (and Friends of Mineral Town) was peak Harvest Moon. I went from Original on SNES to Back to Nature, then to N64. When I learned that there was more than two crops per season, AND the fall season had crops, I was flabbergasted.

The SNES version only had two crops per season: Turnips and Potatoes in Spring, Tomato and Corn in Summer. There was no crops in the fall. The game was absolutely limited in all ways imagined. But it was the first of the genre. I'd recommend anyone to play it, but do note you will be diving into something that is antique in regards to game design.
I never played the PS2 version which sounds like it’s for the best. The SNES was the first version I ever played, it was tough but still a lot of fun. My friend and I played it on a computer emulator, and he downloaded this weird cheat tool where you could change the number values in games, so we gave ourselves a ton of money and wood at one point and created big crazy super farms (well, as much as you could with only two crops)

I also remember being super frustrated with the cows trying to get them to follow you with that bell. :cry: