Axe, House upgrade or Coop upgrade?

27dschild

Planter
I’m on my first save file, year one late summer. Should I upgrade my copper axe, upgrade my coop, get the last backpack upgrade, or get a house upgrade?

redbobcat

Rancher
Upgrading your axe to steel will give you access to Secret Woods where you can find Fiddlehead Fern (only in Summer) - needed for one of the bundles. Secret Woods also contain hardwood stumps that you can harvest daily and Woodskip fish - also needed for bundles but available any time.

Upgrading your coop will give you the ability to hatch eggs. You can also purchase ducks (eggs and feather for bundles) but that means you will need extra money.

Upgrading your backpack will give you extra space but think carefully if you need it at this point or can get by without for a time.

Upgrading your house will give you access to cooking. If you plan to cook right away to carry food for mines for example, than you can pick this.

Ultimately the choice is yours, you play the game your way.

It depends on your goals and playstyle. Ideally, the axe should come first due to the secret woods. But only if you want a stable asap, and to complete the community center. If those two things dont matter, then you would have to flip a coin on the other two. It all depends. We would need more details.

Boo1972

Farmer
I would advise building a silo and growing hay before building a coop. Also, a note- Clint will start charging more for materials in your 2nd year. Though, I doubt many people buy ores from him.

Person090

Planter
I’m on my first save file, year one late summer. Should I upgrade my copper axe, upgrade my coop, get the last backpack upgrade, or get a house upgrade?
Personally reccomend the backpack upgrade because 12 extra spaces is really good when exploring the mines or foraging. Coop upgradr second. Only get the coop upgrade if you have mayo machines, because duck mayo is really good for making money. third would be te axe upgrade, considering upgrading the house needs wood. The house upgrade is important if you want to cook food and marry someone, but I would put that around 2nd year priority really, so that would be fourth

Lew Zealand

Helper
It depends on your goals and playstyle. Ideally, the axe should come first due to the secret woods. But only if you want a stable asap, and to complete the community center. If those two things dont matter, then you would have to flip a coin on the other two. It all depends. We would need more details.
Yes, I prefer the Axe upgrade early because the time it takes to get anywhere is a pet peeve of mine in game (also looking at you, Elder Scrolls) and IRL. I played through my first SDV save not knowing how fast the Horse was and I'd have been a much happier farmer with it. That second save with an early Horse was **heaven**.

Tom

Rancher
TL;DR Whatever gets you Pale Ale now and Greenhouse next month. See calendar. Hops? Coop? Barn? Pick->Ore->Tappers&Kegs? Axe->Wood? Buy Wood?

I'll assume that your priorities right now are
1. to get 50+ Kegs of Pale Ale processing so you are suddenly comparatively rich with 20k+ gold every day or two.
2. to unlock your Greenhouse next month so you can earn 1 million gold during the Winter.

If that's correct, then your priority is whatever you are most sorely missing to achieve those in order.

Not a priority:
10. Bulletin board bundles including Fiddlehead Fern.

Summer Priorities:
20. Taps on Oaks (Spring 10-12 priority, but better late than never)
22. 60-120 Hops in ground (Summer 1 priority, but better late than never)
23. Save 84 Hops starters for Greenhouse and surplus Hops to process all Fall with Pumpkin Juice
24. Work on Pantry/Greenhouse to finish mid Fall. The cheapest way to finish Animal Bundle is with 1 cow, 1 goat, 2 chickens, and 1 duck. Build the buildings now and buy the animals later. See this calendar: https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Stardew_Valley/First_time_calendar#Last_chance_2

Last edited:

27dschild

Planter
I would advise building a silo and growing hay before building a coop. Also, a note- Clint will start charging more for materials in your 2nd year. Though, I doubt many people buy ores from him.
I already have a silo, now have a coop