Assorted Suggestions

Oceannist

Farmhand
Hello! I'm new to the forum but I thought I'd share some suggestions because coming up with ideas is pretty fun and I've been rather lonely lately with all my friends addicted to ACNH. I'm sure other people have already thought of the same things or at least similar suggestions though.

English is not my first language so I apologize in advance for any mistakes or inconsistencies (:
Sorry if this is very long, I ended up explaining quite a bit, but I thought it was better to just make one post instead of several. I'm well aware there are tons of mods for some of these options, but it'd be nice to see them included for non-PC users as well.

FARMHOUSE
- Board: a small furniture item like the calendar that you can buy from Robin and place on your wall. It lets you add reminders (maybe with the character limit of mail?). I feel it would be useful if you stop playing for a while and when you return, you have no idea what you were doing, so you can check the board and remember what your plans were.

- Kitchen paid upgrade: to add storage space for ingredients, rather than placing tons of mini-fridges in the kitchen. Options:
  • Add tabs for fruits, vegetables, fish, ingredients, and animal products to the main fridge (each new tab has an increased cost).
  • Use the kitchen cabinets as inventory, so they work like mini-fridges but you don't have to actually place extra furniture in there. Alternatively, there could be a kitchen tower as an addition.
  • Add the option to buy "appliances" as upgrades to the kitchen, and they appear in the kitchen counter to the left as you buy them (you can't move them since they'd be there as "decoration"). They don't actually need to work as cooking stuff, instead if you click them you can store stuff (e.g. microwave, blender, coffee machine, etc.)
- Compact bathroom paid upgrade: it could restore stamina like the spa, or it could be just a room merely for aesthetics if this is too complex. Either a door on the second floor (upper left room) could lead to it, or it can be connected to the house from the main bedroom. Inspired by this mod.

- Additional room paid upgrade: just an empty room to decorate, either to the right of the nursery or when you upgrade the house, it becomes the middle room and the nursery moves to the right.

- Third-floor terrace paid upgrade: nothing super big, just a pretty area to keep some plants in garden pots or garden beds (no tillable land here?). It could be like Caroline's. And you could place the butterfly hutch here too to relax a bit. Either it leads to a new room (like the cellar) or it's connected to the second floor from the middle room.

- Matching wood for furniture you can't move: mainly a look change for your bed, children bed, crib and the kitchen (bathroom cabinets too if this room becomes available). You could pay Robin to match their wood frames to one of the woods from the game (e.g. all mahogany). It could go in a new menu option called "Redecorate", where you can buy "Mahogany Kitchen", "Oak Bed", etc. so you can better match the house to your tastes.

- Bedspreads sets: like with wallpapers and floorings, you can buy options to change the bedspreads, sheets, and pillows. Maybe instead of buying items to throw on the beds (not sure how complex is this?), there is a menu in a new furniture catalog item (maybe a dresser or small wardrobe?) where you can select what spread you want to apply (from previous ones bought). To keep this less of a hassle, the entire set comes together instead of individually changing pillows and sheets, etc.

- Vanity: furniture that can either be wood recolors from Hailey's room dresser (for looks only, example I did), or if you click on it, you can change your appearance. I understand you can already do this at the Wizard's Tower, but it'd be nice to do it from home and you could pay a higher fee as well (pretend you're buying hair dye, makeup, etc. for the change).

- Ability to change at least the flooring in the spouse's room. Wallpaper would be nice too. Though there might need to be new ones that match the spouse rooms if you want to change them back (or if you want to match your bedroom to their room instead).

- More furniture in general: kids toys (they can be recolors of the items already in-game), more wall decorations (like small shelves with decor, books, clocks), more portraits (like the ones in the NPCs houses), a table with a nicer TV you can actually put against the wall.

- Option to get or buy a "static" pet bird, hamster, and fishbowl to put inside your house (kind of like Emily's parrot, so they'd only be animated a bit but not move around. You could move them like furniture though). Maybe each one through a special event with a different NPC depending on the animal (e.g. Abigail for hamster, Willy for the fishbowl, Evelyn for the bird, or why not Gunther or Marlon).

FARM
- More outdoor furniture: picnic blanket, a basket with food, picnic table, bench, decorative arches, etc. Just to make it look more like a living space.
- More fence styles: bush fence, flower fence, wire fence, etc.
- Green tiles: some lawn and flat grass, maybe flowery ones to spruce up your farm (I mean like grass with tiny colored dots that are supposed to be "flowers" and not actual growing flowers).

- Farm cave paid upgrade: a small one that has space to grow certain cave or forage crops (cave carrot, wild horseradish, etc.). Not sure how complex it'd be to code this, but maybe if you try to plant regular crops, they die (disappear the next day) because of the lack of sunlight or you can't even plant them to start with. There could be an event with Demetrius for this where you have to fund the "research". Or alternatively, more space for mushrooms / bats.

- Winery building: for extra casks outside the cellar, but not too large (at most the same as the cellar or smaller, and the time it takes to age is the same). Inspired by this mod and this mod.

- Small flower cart / garden bed / wall pallet building (or something else): it's pretty and works as storage for the million flower recolors (kind of like a chest but you can keep all your flowers here instead). You build it from Robin and can buy upgrades (small, medium, large, and maybe an extra-large one that allows you space for all recolors but maybe not for all qualities?). The building doesn't have to change appearance for the upgrades. You can put forage flowers and crop flowers here.

- Tractor mod needs to be a thing. Maybe you can only have access to the building at Robin's after completing the Community Center / Joja, through an event involving Mayor Lewis or Pierre, or someone else. Same as stable, can only be built once.

- Pet house: just a small and simple building in the pet area that could be for aesthetics only, or it could show you the stats of your pet(s) if you click on it, like age and heart levels. You could pay for it instead of initially coming with the farm. Alternatively, if you build it, you could also get an extra pet (the one you didn't choose at the beginning). Like with the stable though, you can only build it once. Maybe this can be a later year addition too, with an event unlocking it. Inspired by this mod.

- Bird feeder / bath, with a collection tab: either you can't catch the birds or if you "catch" them you get feathers (or other specific bird items for craft purposes). Maybe you need to click on the bird while it's feeding (it won't flee until it's done or there can be a mini-game) and then it gets added to your list. You need to add bird feed or crops for it to work (depending on what item, you get different birds or there are some that you can only get with a certain one). If you can't catch them and there isn't the option to get feathers or new birds items for crafting, maybe there's a random chance the bird leaves you 1 item when visiting instead (e.g. fiber, mineral, hay).

- Insect catching, also with a collection tab: either you have to actively catch them with a net (not sure how hard this is to code, maybe another mini-game?), or there could be a "trap" item (bug cage) that works like the bird feeder (you have to place an item inside). If they can be caught like fish, maybe there can be a new building that could work as the fish pond (Bug crate?). You put insects inside and they produce something. Or perhaps they're only for gifting, crafting, or cooking recipes (lol).
  • Note: since Gunther doesn't get to do much, maybe he can be tied to either the bird or bug thing, or maybe Linus for one of them. Could also be a new biologist NPC related to him (family or friend).

GREENHOUSE
- Allow for the butterfly hutch to be placed inside the greenhouse.
- Small paid upgrade: nothing too big, just something to add more organization to the building. Like a small extra tillable space for other crops (12x2 or so) and actual individual bed spaces for the fruit trees (so it doesn't look like they're growing through concrete). Also a small row for garden pots and the butterfly hutch. Not sure if when you upgrade you can keep all your crops and old trees, or if it gives you a warning that everything will be gone with the upgrade (I'd gladly sacrifice them for a nicer looking greenhouse though).

MISCELLANEOUS
- Wedding Anniversary and Child Birthday appearing on the calendar, maybe with a simple event where you gift them an item and your spouse has special lines for the day.
- Labels for chests (they appear when you hover over them).
- A way to buy or craft a nicer complete wedding outfit (a skirt to match the bridal top so it blends well to form an actual dress; top and bottoms for the tuxedo, maybe white/grey/black variations, shoes for both) and also the flower dance outfit (top and bottom for male and female, flower crown and shoes)
- Inclusion of more hats, more SHOES, and pants. There are like 1 million shirts already but not a lot of the other.

MORE IDEAS
[ 01 ]

Last edited:

Person090

Planter
Hello! I'm new to the forum but I thought I'd share some suggestions because coming up with ideas is pretty fun and I've been rather lonely lately with all my friends addicted to ACNH. I'm sure other people have already thought of the same things or at least similar suggestions though.

English is not my first language so I apologize in advance for any mistakes or inconsistencies (:
Sorry if this is very long, I ended up explaining quite a bit, but I thought it was better to just make one post instead of several. I'm well aware there are tons of mods for some of these options, but it'd be nice to see them included for non-PC users as well.

FARMHOUSE
- Board: a small furniture item like the calendar that you can buy from Robin and place on your wall. It lets you add reminders (maybe with the character limit of mail?). I feel it would be useful if you stop playing for a while and when you return, you have no idea what you were doing, so you can check the board and remember what your plans were.

- Kitchen paid upgrade: to add storage space for ingredients, rather than placing tons of mini-fridges in the kitchen. Options:
  • Add tabs for fruits, vegetables, fish, ingredients, and animal products to the main fridge (each new tab has an increased cost).
  • Use the kitchen cabinets as inventory, so they work like mini-fridges but you don't have to actually place extra furniture in there. Alternatively, there could be a kitchen tower as an addition.
  • Add the option to buy "appliances" as upgrades to the kitchen, and they appear in the kitchen counter to the left as you buy them (you can't move them since they'd be there as "decoration"). They don't actually need to work as cooking stuff, instead if you click them you can store stuff (e.g. microwave, blender, coffee machine, etc.)
- Compact bathroom paid upgrade: it could restore stamina like the spa, or it could be just a room merely for aesthetics if this is too complex. Either a door on the second floor (upper left room) could lead to it, or it can be connected to the house from the main bedroom. Inspired by this mod.

- Additional room paid upgrade: just an empty room to decorate, either to the right of the nursery or when you upgrade the house, it becomes the middle room and the nursery moves to the right.

- Third-floor terrace paid upgrade: nothing super big, just a pretty area to keep some plants in garden pots or garden beds (no tillable land here?). It could be like Caroline's. And you could place the butterfly hutch here too to relax a bit. Either it leads to a new room (like the cellar) or it's connected to the second floor from the middle room.

- Matching wood for furniture you can't move: mainly a look change for your bed, children bed, crib and the kitchen (bathroom cabinets too if this room becomes available). You could pay Robin to match their wood frames to one of the woods from the game (e.g. all mahogany). It could go in a new menu option called "Redecorate", where you can buy "Mahogany Kitchen", "Oak Bed", etc. so you can better match the house to your tastes.

- Bedspreads sets: like with wallpapers and floorings, you can buy options to change the bedspreads, sheets, and pillows. Maybe instead of buying items to throw on the beds (not sure how complex is this?), there is a menu in a new furniture catalog item (maybe a dresser or small wardrobe?) where you can select what spread you want to apply (from previous ones bought). To keep this less of a hassle, the entire set comes together instead of individually changing pillows and sheets, etc.

- Vanity: furniture that can either be wood recolors from Hailey's room dresser (for looks only, example I did), or if you click on it, you can change your appearance. I understand you can already do this at the Wizard's Tower, but it'd be nice to do it from home and you could pay a higher fee as well (pretend you're buying hair dye, makeup, etc. for the change).

- Ability to change at least the flooring in the spouse's room. Wallpaper would be nice too. Though there might need to be new ones that match the spouse rooms if you want to change them back (or if you want to match your bedroom to their room instead).

- More furniture in general: kids toys (they can be recolors of the items already in-game), more wall decorations (like small shelves with decor, books, clocks), more portraits (like the ones in the NPCs houses), a table with a nicer TV you can actually put against the wall.

- Option to get or buy a "static" pet bird, hamster, and fishbowl to put inside your house (kind of like Emily's parrot, so they'd only be animated a bit but not move around. You could move them like furniture though). Maybe each one through a special event with a different NPC depending on the animal (e.g. Abigail for hamster, Willy for the fishbowl, Evelyn for the bird, or why not Gunther or Marlon).

FARM
- More outdoor furniture: picnic blanket, a basket with food, picnic table, bench, decorative arches, etc. Just to make it look more like a living space.
- More fence styles: bush fence, flower fence, wire fence, etc.
- Green tiles: some lawn and flat grass, maybe flowery ones to spruce up your farm (I mean like grass with tiny colored dots that are supposed to be "flowers" and not actual growing flowers).

- Farm cave paid upgrade: a small one that has space to grow certain cave or forage crops (cave carrot, wild horseradish, etc.). Not sure how complex it'd be to code this, but maybe if you try to plant regular crops, they die (disappear the next day) because of the lack of sunlight or you can't even plant them to start with. There could be an event with Demetrius for this where you have to fund the "research". Or alternatively, more space for mushrooms / bats.

- Winery building: for extra casks outside the cellar, but not too large (at most the same as the cellar or smaller, and the time it takes to age is the same). Inspired by this mod and this mod.

- Small flower cart / garden bed / wall pallet building (or something else): it's pretty and works as storage for the million flower recolors (kind of like a chest but you can keep all your flowers here instead). You build it from Robin and can buy upgrades (small, medium, large, and maybe an extra-large one that allows you space for all recolors but maybe not for all qualities?). The building doesn't have to change appearance for the upgrades. You can put forage flowers and crop flowers here.

- Tractor mod needs to be a thing. Maybe you can only have access to the building at Robin's after completing the Community Center / Joja, through an event involving Mayor Lewis or Pierre, or someone else. Same as stable, can only be built once.

- Pet house: just a small and simple building in the pet area that could be for aesthetics only, or it could show you the stats of your pet(s) if you click on it, like age and heart levels. You could pay for it instead of initially coming with the farm. Alternatively, if you build it, you could also get an extra pet (the one you didn't choose at the beginning). Like with the stable though, you can only build it once. Maybe this can be a later year addition too, with an event unlocking it. Inspired by this mod.

- Bird feeder / bath, with a collection tab: either you can't catch the birds or if you "catch" them you get feathers (or other specific bird items for craft purposes). Maybe you need to click on the bird while it's feeding (it won't flee until it's done or there can be a mini-game) and then it gets added to your list. You need to add bird feed or crops for it to work (depending on what item, you get different birds or there are some that you can only get with a certain one). If you can't catch them and there isn't the option to get feathers or new birds items for crafting, maybe there's a random chance the bird leaves you 1 item when visiting instead (e.g. fiber, mineral, hay).

- Insect catching, also with a collection tab: either you have to actively catch them with a net (not sure how hard this is to code, maybe another mini-game?), or there could be a "trap" item (bug cage) that works like the bird feeder (you have to place an item inside). If they can be caught like fish, maybe there can be a new building that could work as the fish pond (Bug crate?). You put insects inside and they produce something. Or perhaps they're only for gifting, crafting, or cooking recipes (lol).
  • Note: since Gunther doesn't get to do much, maybe he can be tied to either the bird or bug thing, or maybe Linus for one of them. Could also be a new biologist NPC related to him (family or friend).

GREENHOUSE
- Allow for the butterfly hutch to be placed inside the greenhouse.
- Small paid upgrade: nothing too big, just something to add more organization to the building. Like a small extra tillable space for other crops (12x2 or so) and actual individual bed spaces for the fruit trees (so it doesn't look like they're growing through concrete). Also a small row for garden pots and the butterfly hutch. Not sure if when you upgrade you can keep all your crops and old trees, or if it gives you a warning that everything will be gone with the upgrade (I'd gladly sacrifice them for a nicer looking greenhouse though).

MISCELLANEOUS
- Wedding Anniversary and Child Birthday appearing on the calendar, maybe with a simple event where you gift them an item and your spouse has special lines for the day.
- Labels for chests (they appear when you hover over them).
- A way to buy or craft a nicer complete wedding outfit (a skirt to match the bridal top so it blends well to form an actual dress; top and bottoms for the tuxedo, maybe white/grey/black variations, shoes for both) and also the flower dance outfit (top and bottom for male and female, flower crown and shoes)
- Inclusion of more hats, more SHOES, and pants. There are like 1 million shirts already but not a lot of the other.
What if once you get enough hearts with Haley, she would give you an extra camera, which you can use to snap pictures of the birds and you need to place the feed at a specific day, time, and conditions for a specific bird to appear

Oceannist

Farmhand
What if once you get enough hearts with Haley, she would give you an extra camera, which you can use to snap pictures of the birds and you need to place the feed at a specific day, time, and conditions for a specific bird to appear
Oooh, the camera is an amazing idea actually and it would go superb with the bird thing since it would be the "tool" to start the bird minigame and "capture" the bird/bird item (like the fishing rod does) without suggesting violence. And yes, specific times and conditions sounds great.

Boo1972

Farmer
I love most of your ideas! I can’t tell you how disappointed I was to get my butterfly hutch and not be able to put it in the greenhouse! I actually built a shed just to be a butterfly garden

Oceannist

Farmhand
I love most of your ideas! I can’t tell you how disappointed I was to get my butterfly hutch and not be able to put it in the greenhouse! I actually built a shed just to be a butterfly garden
Thank you! I think most of them are things a lot of people have already thought of because they really want to see them implemented.
And yeah, it's pretty sad when you find out you can't do that with the butterfly hutch, but the shed idea is lovely! I bet yours looks wonderful (:

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
I am definitely in agreement about the butterfly hutch. No words can describe just how disappointed I was when I couldn't put it in the greenhouse.

Oceannist

Farmhand
I was trying to rearrange my furniture today, and remembered there are some items that aren't a matching set?
It would be great if there could be a full set of wood furniture for each wood type, like a birch coffee table, birch dining table, birch stool, and so on, because they are currently missing and some of the combinations look pretty mismatched ):

Oceannist

Farmhand
Adding some new stuff (:
I won't go as into much detail this time (and yes, I'm pretty OCD, I'm so sorry).

NPCs PLATONIC 10 / 14 HEART EVENTS
- Events geared towards adding nice things to the town (like Alex's 14 heart event), or advancing the characters dreams without having to marry them.

FURNITURE
- Complete the wood-matching item sets that are missing from the furniture, e.g. Birch coffee table, birch dining table, birch stool (same for the other woods, like walnut).
- Include some hobby-related furniture, like music instruments, knitting baskets with yarn/quilt-making, drawing or painting sets, etc.

CROPS
- AlphaWolfKane already made a detailed (and pretty awesome post) about having chocolate as an ingredient from cocoa trees. That'd be lovely.
- Some ideas for possible crops:
  • Spring: Lettuce (or winter, could be a giant crop), Cassava, Lychee.
  • Summer: Pitahaya, Cucumber (or winter), Watermelon (could be a giant crop).
  • Fall: Pineapple, Carrot, Soursop (could be a giant crop).
  • Tree ideas: Fig (summer), Tangerine (spring), Pear (fall).

ANIMALS
- Possibly rare new animals (that aren't more dinosaurs, please): Ostrich, Llama or Alpaca, Goose, Peacock, Donkey, (and my friend totally wants Capybaras, but I have no idea what you'd even get from them).

PET & HORSE
- Ability to play with your pet, perhaps by getting a toy like a plush fish/mouse or a frisbee/ball. You could buy it from Pierre, or get it from a quest event with Marnie.
- Ability to call the horse with a whistle (maybe not teleport exactly, but only if it's "close by/in the same map" as you?).
- Ability to see the horse in the NPC map? (can be toggled off/on).
- Horse race event with the ability to participate. Friendship level affects how fast your horse is? Perhaps there are treats you can give it?
  • Note: I'm not including animal competition events because not all people enjoy or focus on getting animals for their farms, but almost everyone gets a horse.

Last edited:

Lappy

Sodbuster
ANIMALS
(and my friend totally wants Capybaras, but I have no idea what you'd even get from them).
Capybaras are friendly with other animals, so maybe they don't produce anything themselves, but affect productivity of their friends. Some possibilities:

- petting a capybara also "pets" all the other animals living in the same coop/barn (so you don't have to pet up to 12 animals separately)
- products from animals in the same coop/barn have star quality boosted one level (similar to perfect fishing boosts fish quality)
- animals in the same coop/barn have a chance of producing an additional egg/milk, more frequent wool production, higher chance to produce duck feather/rabbit foot
- eggs in the same coop hatch faster (shorter incubation time)

Oceannist

Farmhand
Capybaras are friendly with other animals, so maybe they don't produce anything themselves, but affect productivity of their friends. Some possibilities:

- petting a capybara also "pets" all the other animals living in the same coop/barn (so you don't have to pet up to 12 animals separately)
- products from animals in the same coop/barn have star quality boosted one level (similar to perfect fishing boosts fish quality)
- animals in the same coop/barn have a chance of producing an additional egg/milk, more frequent wool production, higher chance to produce duck feather/rabbit foot
- eggs in the same coop hatch faster (shorter incubation time)
Oh, those are all great ways a capybara could be implemented. I personally like the petting option more out of those.

Hm, I know they take mud baths to protect their skin from the sun, so maybe capybaras could "bring" you Clay or Fiber like pigs find you Truffles (I know clay isn't mud though, but yeah). Or I guess they could also give milk, lol, but not sure if that would work.
Thinking about it, realistically, capybaras would need a small bathing area /pool as well.

27dschild

Planter
Something that I want is your character having a birthday and people that you have enough hearts with will give you gifts, maybe better the more hearts you have with them and you choosing your birthdate on the character creation screen