Artisanal Goods Planning

oddpine

Sodbuster
Starfruit to Starfruit Wine :iristar:
Let's say that your cellar is full of casks and you want to fill it with wine. What does that take?

Each cask requires 20 Wood, 1 Hardwood. You are able to fill up your cellar with (Switch) 118 Casks, (PC) 125 Casks, and at maximum, 189 Casks.
Casks take 56 days to raise the quality of Wine to Iridium Quality.

So you have 56 days to make enough wine to fill your cellar. It takes about 7 days for a keg to make wine. You can make wine 8 times with each keg. 56/7 = 8
Each keg requires 30 Wood, 1 Copper Bar, 1 Iron Bar, 1 Oak Resin.

Starfruit takes 13 days to grow, replanted 4 times. You'll need twice as many starfruit as you have kegs (unless you're doing stuff with Speed-Gro). You will need to make your first harvest of Starfruit before you start making it into wine.

Round up
Code:
# of Casks / 8 = Kegs
Kegs x 2 = Starfruit Seeds planted at a time

Casks = Hardwood 
Kegs = Copper Bar, Iron Bar, Oak Resin
Casks x 20 + Kegs x 30 = Wood
(# of Casks or Starfruit Seeds) x 400g = Cost
That means...
CasksKegsStarfruit PlantedWood Needed
189​
24​
48​
4,500​
125​
16​
32​
2,980​
118​
15​
30​
2810​

Oak Resin takes 7-8 days to get from a tapper. You are able to get at least 14 oak resins per oak tree per year.
Good luck, have fun.

oddpine

Sodbuster
Preserves Jars & Crops
Let's say that you want to turn all your berries into jelly. How many preserves jars do you need to keep up with the amount of berries you end up with?

You need to plan out which crops you're growing and how much they'll produce. You can adjust these numbers based on whether you're using Speed-Gro or other methods. Here's an example:

cropplantedgrowingregrowingproducedharveststotal
strawberry​
48​
8​
4​
1​
5​
240​
blueberry​
72​
13​
4​
3​
4​
864​
cranberry​
72​
7​
5​
2​
5​
720​

Code:
harvests = CEILING((28 - growing)/regrowing)
total = planted * produced * harvests
It takes 2-3 (2.5) days to turn any fruit or vegetable into jelly.

There's a couple ways to calculate this. The first is if you're trying to completely preserve one crop before the second crop is harvested.
Code:
preserve jar iterations = (28 - strawberry.growing + blueberry.growing)/2.5
preserve jars = total strawberries / preserve jar iterations
You can make jelly 14 times between the first strawberries being harvested and the first blueberries being harvested 28 - 8 + 13 = 33 / 2.5 = 13.2, round up. You need 18 Preserves Jars to completely preserve all the strawberries during this period 240 / 14 = 17.1, round up. The problem with this method is that the amount of preserves jars you need each season varies a lot.

The second method is using preserves jars over the entire year. Between the first harvest of the spring crop the initial year and the first harvest of the spring crop the following year. There are 112 days in a year.
Code:
preserve jar iterations = 112/2.5 = 44.8
total jars = (strawberry.total + blueberry.total + cranberry.total)/44.8
You end up needing a total of 41 Preserves Jars but you can't ever stop preserving stuff throughout the year.

You should be able to combine these two calculations and not need as many preserves jars during early seasons compared to later ones. Each preserves jars requires 50 Wood, 40 Stone and 8 Coal. For 41 Preserves Jars, you need 2050 Wood, 1640 Stone and 328 Coal.

This doesn't really calculate the most economical method of preserves jars, mostly because the concept of corn pickles is abhorrent to me.

Boo1972

Farmer
Preserves Jars & Crops
Let's say that you want to turn all your berries into jelly. How many preserves jars do you need to keep up with the amount of berries you end up with?

You need to plan out which crops you're growing and how much they'll produce. You can adjust these numbers based on whether you're using Speed-Gro or other methods. Here's an example:

cropplantedgrowingregrowingproducedharveststotal
strawberry​
48​
8​
4​
1​
5​
240​
blueberry​
72​
13​
4​
3​
4​
864​
cranberry​
72​
7​
5​
2​
5​
720​

Code:
harvests = CEILING((28 - growing)/regrowing)
total = planted * produced * harvests
It takes 2-3 (2.5) days to turn any fruit or vegetable into jelly.

There's a couple ways to calculate this. The first is if you're trying to completely preserve one crop before the second crop is harvested.
Code:
preserve jar iterations = (28 - strawberry.growing + blueberry.growing)/2.5
preserve jars = total strawberries / preserve jar iterations
You can make jelly 14 times between the first strawberries being harvested and the first blueberries being harvested 28 - 8 + 13 = 33 / 2.5 = 13.2, round up. You need 18 Preserves Jars to completely preserve all the strawberries during this period 240 / 14 = 17.1, round up. The problem with this method is that the amount of preserves jars you need each season varies a lot.

The second method is using preserves jars over the entire year. Between the first harvest of the spring crop the initial year and the first harvest of the spring crop the following year. There are 112 days in a year.
Code:
preserve jar iterations = 112/2.5 = 44.8
total jars = (strawberry.total + blueberry.total + cranberry.total)/44.8
You end up needing a total of 41 Preserves Jars but you can't ever stop preserving stuff throughout the year.

You should be able to combine these two calculations and not need as many preserves jars during early seasons compared to later ones. Each preserves jars requires 50 Wood, 40 Stone and 8 Coal. For 41 Preserves Jars, you need 2050 Wood, 1640 Stone and 328 Coal.

This doesn't really calculate the most economical method of preserves jars, mostly because the concept of corn pickles is abhorrent to me.
Thank you for all your hard work on this! I’m picturing huge cans of pickled ears of corn and that image is both funny and gross. I do like corn relish though.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Starfruit to Starfruit Wine :iristar:
Let's say that your cellar is full of casks and you want to fill it with wine. What does that take?

Each cask requires 20 Wood, 1 Hardwood. You are able to fill up your cellar with (Switch) 118 Casks, (PC) 125 Casks, and at maximum, 189 Casks.
Casks take 56 days to raise the quality of Wine to Iridium Quality.

So you have 56 days to make enough wine to fill your cellar. It takes about 7 days for a keg to make wine. You can make wine 8 times with each keg. 56/7 = 8
Each keg requires 30 Wood, 1 Copper Bar, 1 Iron Bar, 1 Oak Resin.

Starfruit takes 13 days to grow, replanted 4 times. You'll need twice as many starfruit as you have kegs (unless you're doing stuff with Speed-Gro). You will need to make your first harvest of Starfruit before you start making it into wine.

Round up
Code:
# of Casks / 8 = Kegs
Kegs x 2 = Starfruit Seeds planted at a time

Casks = Hardwood
Kegs = Copper Bar, Iron Bar, Oak Resin
Casks x 20 + Kegs x 30 = Wood
(# of Casks or Starfruit Seeds) x 400g = Cost
That means...
CasksKegsStarfruit PlantedWood Needed
189​
24​
48​
4,500​
125​
16​
32​
2,980​
118​
15​
30​
2810​

Oak Resin takes 7-8 days to get from a tapper. You are able to get at least 14 oak resins per oak tree per year.
Good luck, have fun.
Thanks for the data, I love data!

As you suggested, I use Speed-Gro for Starfruit to take the time to replace down to 10 days on initial planting and 9 days on successive plantings (in Greenhouse for me). Having no interest in whacking 189 Casks twice a year, I have 125 in my Cellar, so 250 bottles of yummy Iridium quality wine per year.

112 days per year/9 days per harvest = 12.44 round down to 12 full Starfruit harvests per year in Greenhouse
250 bottles of wine/12 harvests = 20.8 round up to 21 plots with Starfruit in the Greenhouse (the rest are Ancient Fruit-- fruit of the Gods and the lazy)

Thanks to rounding and laziness inefficiencies, I have a few Starfruit left over each year which I can hand out as party favors because that's just the kind of Community Center revitalizin', Pam's house buildin', Trash Bear cleanupin', Return Sceptre buyin' mad philanthropist that I am.

I tend to use my casks for marginal increases in my main production, specifically my Ancient Fruit from my Greenhouse.

Typically, my greenhouse setup has 30x Peach/Pomegranate trees, 74 Hops, and 30 Ancient Fruit as filler between rows of trees and hops, so I can reach them all.

So, what do I do with the ancient fruit? Well, obviously first I brew it into wine. This requires 30x Kegs. Then I send it to the cellar for aging in Casks, 120 in total. Therefore, in four weeks I've got all my casks bubbling away.

But what about after that? It takes two months to turn Iridium, doesn't it? What about the second month's harvest? Well, I harvest early, settling for gold-star Ancient Wine and replace them as they come up. Therefore, once a week, I collect ancient fruit, take them to my brewery, swap out the now finished ancient wine and replace them with fresh fruit, then go to my cellar and replace the gold-star ancient wine with new wine to age.

This gives me a comfortable net increase of 1.5x of my ancient fruit yield per month. Which isn't particularly much, since ancient fruit is the least profitable crop in my greenhouse, but it's enough to still be worth doing, since it's not a whole lot of effort after the infrastructure is set up. It comes out to an extra 34,650g/wk, or 138,600g/month, which is roughly a ten percent increase in total greenhouse monthly profits.

It may not have the big wow numbers of iridium starfruit, but it is more consistently profitable over the long term.

Tom

Rancher
I use Speed-Gro for Starfruit to take the time to replace down to 10 days on initial planting and 9 days on successive plantings
Isn't there a mistake here? It's 9 days always, right? Add 9 to planting day to get harvest day.
1 + 9 = 10
10 + 9 = 19
19 + 9 = 28

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Isn't there a mistake here? It's 9 days always, right? Add 9 to planting day to get harvest day.
1 + 9 = 10
10 + 9 = 19
19 + 9 = 29
Yes, it's just that you overlap the harvest and plant day on successive harvests so the time between harvests is 9 days but you miss out on that first day, so your first harvest is at day 10. I totally count that first day of planting as a day but there's no need to, just a different perspective, or different accounting (take that tax man!).

And a little boo-boo in your post, as 19+9= 28 days. No big deal.

Reactions: Tom