Anyone Else Participating in National Novel Writing Month This Year?

starbrite

Sodbuster
Hi! I'm just curious if anyone else will be doing NaNoWriMo this year :D. If you're unfamiliar with it, it is an event that happens every November where you write a 50,000 word novel on whatever you want! If you "win" by writing 50,000 words, you get access to some pretty neat prizes such as free publishing for your book, discounts on writing workshops, discounts/freebies on writing merch/materials, and whatever else awards may be offered that year. Each year the awards vary, so those were just some prizes I've gotten in the past :). If you're interested their main website is here.

So is anyone else doing it? :D What is your book about this year, or have you not planned it out yet?

I'm currently brainstorming mine right now, and I'm planning on finishing up my novel from a previous year's NaNo (yes, you can continue books in the event; you just have to write 50,000 words in the month of Nov :)). It's so close to being done so I want to finish it up. Mine is an adventure/action + romance + fantasy set in a world that is futuristic because of magic use + technology, but still in the past society-wise. In a very very short summary, it's about a prince losing his kingdom and having to reclaim it.

Boo1972

Farmer
I hadn’t t heard of this! If my brain wasn’t mush I would definitely participate but I’m going to pass the information on to writers I know.

starbrite

Sodbuster
i should really do nanowrimo this year, i've needed to focus on my writing but that's been a bit difficult... i'll probably cheat and do a previous unfinished work
lol that's what I'm doing actually! And maybe I'm cheating a little bit more by plotting out a scene right now and doing a rough draft over the weekend since the inspiration is fresh in my mind + I'm in the mood 👀. Sometimes it is easy to lose focus + writing spirit! But I swear this is all I'm doing ahead of time 😅

Potatoes

Farmer
@Magically Clueless @starbrite I always try and do Hourly Comic Day, and 24 Comic Day every year (plus the inktober thing I'm doing right now) and I try not to worry about cheating on stuff like this anymore. I figure if you've got an old draft, or inspiration, or something like that, that helps with these events to make it easier or enjoy it more than I say go for it!

Good luck, I hope it turns out well!

starbrite

Sodbuster
Unfortunately no, I fall short by 20000 words 😪
RIP. I'm also quite behind right now. By how many, I'm not sure. I didn't update my NaNo page yet because it's probably pathetic 😂 . I'm planning on sprinting from this point on though to hopefully maybe make it.

But hey! At least you made it to 30k! That's still an awesome thing.

lmizutani

Tiller
I'm doing a multi project NaNo this year. One for Yuletide Gift exchange, one sort of self therapy-ish based in SDV with guest appearances from a couple of characters from Shugo Chara and Yumeiro Patissiere (both old anime/manga so the characters would have been adults according to the timeline), and one that goes from SDV to Viticulture/Tuscany board game setting. I won't win but I write and the only time pressure is the Yuletide exchange one.

PorkChop

Planter
I had kind of heard of it. I was making a book based on Stardew Valley, but I that was just for fun. I don't think I would actually enter.

starbrite

Sodbuster
Welp, today is the last day to reach that 50k for winner goodies! I hope everyone reached their goal and if not, still, it's awesome you wrote so many words and worked hard on your project!

I hit 50k 4 days ago I believe, and I was blown away :o. I use a software called SmartEdit that allows you to organize your novel by scenes, notes, research topics, etc, and split mine into different folders for chapters. I never knew how many words I had in total because I didn't update the NaNo website daily and the program only showed me word count per chapter, so I was like :o when I updated the official website the other day haha~. I'm super glad I made it because I didn't think I would! The story is coming out better than I expected, and I'm still kinda on the fence about self publishing the novel. Part of me wants to because I worked so hard on it and maybe someone will want to read it, but the other half of me is not thrilled about the marketing side of self publishing LOL. But... I gotta finish it first and even at 53k+ words, its still not done. I got a lot of editing to do.

Anyone else thinking about publishing or is it just a hobby for you? I'd love to hear what you guys are doing now that NaNo is over (well... tonight it'll be over, but still haha).

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I finished my nano this year, but admittedly i didn't write solely the fanfic i was working on... i wrote plenty of short stories and i have a habit of doing that before bed so there's quite a few of those hahaha

it's a goal of mine to finish my fanfic at the end of december, who knows if i can do it but i'll try. hit a bit of a snag right now but i'll probably just keep writing and iron out the details later

starbrite

Sodbuster
ty Odin!

I finished my nano this year, but admittedly i didn't write solely the fanfic i was working on... i wrote plenty of short stories and i have a habit of doing that before bed so there's quite a few of those hahaha

it's a goal of mine to finish my fanfic at the end of december, who knows if i can do it but i'll try. hit a bit of a snag right now but i'll probably just keep writing and iron out the details later
Congrats!!! They're giving away lots of goodies this year (a free editing of your book by a professional and some free ebooks :o) so don't forget about them haha~

But I hope you're able to finish it or at least work out the difficult parts!! I'm kind of on a hang up in one of my chapters too. I usually just write out a somewhat sloppy chapter to just give it some kind of direction, then come back and polish it up over time. But oof. I'm unsure how to add an "outsider" into my king's posse right now haha. I had thwo different scenes written as an idea, but neither of them make sense for the characters to do based on their personalities/morals. So I'm bad at square one.

Sometimes it is best to keep moving forward with other scenes or even sometimes write out the ending, but this guy is very crucial to the rest of the book so I'm just "stuck" for now. 😂