Tip: Use Driftwood in Wood Chipper

redbobcat

Rancher
The Wood Chipper becomes available in Robin’s store on a first day of winter. The description says it will break down hardwood into regular wood. What it doesn’t tell you is that you can also use Driftwood (trash). If you use driftwood in a Recycling Machine, you get 1-3 wood. If you load it into a wood chipper, you get 5-9 wood. Worth saving driftwood just for that imo.

A Wood Chipper costs 1,000g though, so it's probably not worth it. You'd need to put an average of 20 pieces of driftwood through it just to break even, compared to flat out buying the extra wood. I always do a ton of fishing in my games, and I doubt I get 20 pieces very often, if ever. I think it's simply not worth it unless you are grinding crab pots with the Luremaster profession, and even then I'd say that the chance of getting coal from driftwood via a recycling machine is the superior option.

Also, it's not even available until winter, by which time it won't make a difference anyway, particularly given the 3 hour cycle time for such a small amount

And Hardwood is too rare and too useful to waste time turning into something as cheap and as readily available as wood.

Lew Zealand

Helper
That's a nice option I didn't know about but Leah gets all the Driftwood as gifts. Actually I've never used the Wood Chipper. <checks linked wiki> Ah-ha! A 1.4 update as I suspected as I'd never even heard of it before.

Mcwhalen

Farmhand
Good call 👍

With the crab pots going in the small pond right out front, and the free bait machine sitting there next to the recycler; the woodchipper is incorporated into that section of my farm's plot. As I'm about to begin Spring 1 Year 3, I'm having fun zoning my property into even more functional and fluid areas!

One more example supporting the advice of Hoarding EVERYTHING for the future input/output

Rotan

Sodbuster
I put my chippers at the stumps in the forest as a way to get wood in winter. I turn my quarry and desert into tree farms and I still find Im always short on wood. Even with out making to much coal.

Thats really kool though, I didnt know.

Chililover

Planter
I am VERY new to the game... how do you get driftwood. I have one but have no clue how I got it
It is acquired by fishing! :) tip: Leah likes driftwood!
also the stardew wiki has a abundance of info on the game if your ever in immediate need!
Url: stardewvalleywiki.com

A Wood Chipper costs 1,000g though, so it's probably not worth it. You'd need to put an average of 20 pieces of driftwood through it just to break even, compared to flat out buying the extra wood. I always do a ton of fishing in my games, and I doubt I get 20 pieces very often, if ever. I think it's simply not worth it unless you are grinding crab pots with the Luremaster profession, and even then I'd say that the chance of getting coal from driftwood via a recycling machine is the superior option.

Also, it's not even available until winter, by which time it won't make a difference anyway, particularly given the 3 hour cycle time for such a small amount

And Hardwood is too rare and too useful to waste time turning into something as cheap and as readily available as wood.
That's, more or less, RNG for ya. I tend to fish driftwood heavily. And your farms fishing areas, minus the riverlands map, tend to give trash (i.e driftwood) at a huge rate. So it really is worth, even considering the price. And after year 1, the prices go up.

Reactions: Maw

imnvs

Local Legend
What Jack said. Anecdotal, non-data driven denial of this is ill-informed. I've easily gotten well over 20 driftwood over the course of a year game time just about every year. The only people that aren't getting so much driftwood aren't fishing enough. :wink:

Reactions: Maw