Implemented image sizes

corrin

Planter
yeaaaah, also think it'd be a good idea to have the image size limit listed next to the "Attach files" button--some of my kitties were too big to post until i resized them! like
Attach files (limit 2MB) or whatever the limit is

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
limited the image dimensions to 1000x1000px for now, let me know if that solves some problems!

signature size is still being worked on as well as alerts that let you know the dimensions

SgtPickles

Tiller
If it's possible, i think it would be nice to resize the images to say, 50% screen width/height, whichever is smaller
It seems that the issue is from linked image. I feel like a resize by % can still lead to oversize images / potential abuse. Posting a 10000 by 10000 pixel image would still result in a 5000 by 5000 pixel image from the given example.

The quick and easy fix: Resize to a given limit. In example: max image size is 600 by 400, If someone post a 2000 by 2000 it's forced into a 600 by 400. Clicking the image brings it up in a new window to its original size. Potential issue may still exist for mobile users (Though I haven't looked at the forum via mobile phone yet)

The better, but more complex fix: Use code to get the size of the screen that the user is seeing the website through. With the use of some math, resize it to keep it in align, as to not go over a particular ratio/size.
(EDIT: Turns out it already does this, just not on Height)

Last edited:

SgtPickles

Tiller
Speaking of which, testing width:

EDIT: Width of an image doesn't seem to be an issue, only Height as shown with the green example above.

aquova

Cowpoke
It seems that the issue is from linked image. I feel like a resize by % can still lead to oversize images / potential abuse. Posting a 10000 by 10000 pixel image would still result in a 5000 by 5000 pixel image from the given example.
50% of the screen size, not the image size. So if the available browser window is 1000x500, you'll have a 500x250 image max. Having a hard pixel limit might still be too large on mobile.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
so everyone's updated about this issue:

Signature sizes have successfully been limited to 125px in height and width equivalent to your screen size, though that should resize on mobile. if you post something larger, it will automatically resize as long as it is under the file size limit. Feel free to test this out!

Post sizes have also been limited. Right now they are adjusted to your screen size, so the monolith images y'all have been seeing should be significantly smaller.

I was able to successfully make it snap back to normal on mobile. Thank you for the help Space and Pickles!

Last edited:

webxro

Cowpoke
How about we ask that multiple images, or big ones are put into spoiler tags, like this ?

Odin

Staff member
Signature sizes have successfully been limited to 125px in height and width equivalent to your screen size, though that should resize on mobile. if you post something larger, it will automatically resize as long as it is under the file size limit. Feel free to test this out!

Post sizes have also been limited. Right now they are adjusted to your screen size, so the monolith images y'all have been seeing should be significantly smaller.
I think these changes look great! I still need to test it out on my laptop where images were taking up the most screen space, but this looks like a significant improvement to me.