When do you restart?

imnvs

Local Legend
It's like my first year of college - I was assigned to live in the residence hall with the smallest rooms. The next year, I was in a building with rooms that were about 20% bigger, but it felt ENORMOUS after having lived in such a small room the year before. So upon starting a Forest map, being able to move around freely without having to deal with islands and bridges was such a delight.
You know, it's funny... because the Forest map actually has less space on it. The Riverland map is somewhere around 1/3rd bigger. It's just the piecemeal way it comes to you that makes it a pain in the butt, and makes the Forest seem spacious. My wife says the same when comparing the two maps (she has a Riverland solo, and we have a Forest MP). Me, though, I'm coming from a my 4 Corners solo, and the Forest map just seems lopsided and small to me in all ways. 😜

liquidcat

Staff member
This is my question about restarting and I hope you can help. I am playing on a MAC- my son-in-law got me started on this game, but he didn't understand it and started me off AFTER Lewis takes you to the community center, so I have no access to the quarry, etc. I made a second character and got going great, but it won't let me build anything because I had built them on my other character. What am I doing wrong? Remember- I'm old and not that savvy! Thank you!
@JaneH You should try asking in Help & Bug Reports!

Lappy

Sodbuster
You know, it's funny... because the Forest map actually has less space on it. The Riverland map is somewhere around 1/3rd bigger. It's just the piecemeal way it comes to you that makes it a pain in the butt, and makes the Forest seem spacious.
My issue with Riverlands isn't so much in how many tiles are usable, but as you point out, in how they're broken up. Yes, I understand that my example with my college living experience confuses it some.

But even with the extra available tiles, it doesn't mean they're usable in the same way that a large mass of contiguous tiles is. For example, on some islands, you wouldn't place buildings in some places because you would block access to the bridges. Or your sprinkler-to-cropland efficiency is compromised because you can't get as many 5x5 squares in. And because of things like this, the boundaries of multiple smaller islands limits your options for building and crop placement. Don't get me started on how big a slime hutch is on Riverlands map.

Anyway... sorry for going off on a tangent on a topic about why we start a new farm. I think the point comes back to wanting to have a new experience with the game based on map layout.

goboking

Rancher
I seem to inevitably restart midway through Spring of Year 3. By that point I've capped everyone's hearts, completed the community center, and aced grandpa's review, and the lack of tangible objectives always leaves me itching to start over.

Thaddeus_

Sodbuster
Purely for curiosity's sake, for those of you on your xth playthrough, what prompts you to start a new farm/new life/new adventure?

For me, it's when I get into the grind of 'everything's automated, what now?'. Its really fun to go directly from the smoothest part of the game, right back into the rockiest with the intent to try things just a little differently. Maybe get to that automated point faster. (But probably not because I get too distracted whoops)
Generally speaking I usually restart after I have done EVERYTHING. Golden clock? Check. Warp towers? Check. Museum? Check.

However, I have started several playthroughs after just getting tired of making and aging ancient fruit wine. Also to experiment with different crop setups and animal setups.

Chaya7

Planter
I have a bunch of saves. I'm not altogether sure how that happens. :laugh: I think what happens is that I obsess over the game for a long time, then something happens to force me to take a break. Then the break gets longer and longer. Then I come back, but by now I have no idea what was so important for my farmer, or what she was doing, and I don't like picking up the game again in the middle of a mess that I don't remember. So I start over.

I have a few saves (5 currently), partly because I have challenged myself to woo a different spouse each time and while playing that save, then get interested in someone else as well. Depends on how I think of my character but so far, no divorces. I usually decide to start a new one after marriage, children, and CC completion, so about year 3 or 4 for me.

Also started a new one to try the Beach farm when 1.5 came out on PS4.