When do you restart?

Purely for curiosity's sake, for those of you on your xth playthrough, what prompts you to start a new farm/new life/new adventure?

For me, it's when I get into the grind of 'everything's automated, what now?'. Its really fun to go directly from the smoothest part of the game, right back into the rockiest with the intent to try things just a little differently. Maybe get to that automated point faster. (But probably not because I get too distracted whoops)

imnvs

Local Legend
The only save I have stopped playing was one that was lost because it was on another computer, another account.

I have 2 MP saves with the wife and 1 solo.

One of the MP saves is a forest farm that we just started up somewhat recently, and we're only half way through summer year 1.

The other MP save is 4 corners, year 5, and I plan to do... everything in that save. I just recently, finally, got the Full Shipment complete. Got married, no children yet. Besides that, the only big things I have yet to do are Master Angler and 1 of the monster-slayer goals. (I'm speaking literally here, too. I have reached the point where the only thing I can spend my millions in the bank on are more Statues of Endless Convenience(tm)) I will have literally EVERY hat in this save, this I swear. When I accomplish that... maybe I'll lose interest.

The last save, my single solo save, has a ways to go. I'm only fall year 2. Completed the CC. Haven't completed the Lost Bundle yet. Haven't gotten married yet. I still have so much to do ...I have to get all the dateables to 8 hearts, date them all, and trigger the group events, before I marry. And then, here I still have to get married, get the content only available from marrying that person, divorce, marry the next, get the content, repeat... and when I'm done with all of them, ask Krobus to move in and use the shrine so that the exs all forget me and we can start over.

I play the solo whenever the wife isn't available for playing one of the MP saves. She also has a solo riverlands farm she plays when I'm unavailable. The MP saves, we go back and forth, now that we have the both of them. So, yeah... no real restarting. Just different games with different styles/strategies used based on the individual farm, and we pick which one we want to play, and don't have any we don't play any more yet.

Last edited:

Quillmagic

Farmer
Different goals (like little challenges) different farm types, different spouses, different characters. Most of them are just side accounts but I still like having them around. It’s a chance for me to sort of test out new ideas for potential characters!

__Fishy__

Planter
I'm currently still on my first farm right now because I'm wanting to do a completionist farm but I'd say that it just depends on what you're wanting to accomplish on your farm or goals you want to complete. I know a big thing is people just want to make cool looking farms and when they're done. they will start a new one

Anhaga

Rancher
Umm, "too often" is probably the best way to put it for me. I start over way too often. I like the beginnings of games; the challenge is different at the beginning, a bit more varied and less routine. So I just start over. I have a farm of every type now, and have not yet gotten any of them to Year 4. 2 or 3 have hit Year 3.

Boo1972

Farmer
I have 3 farms that are mine and 1 that I play with my youngest (he states the goals and I try to fulfill them). I still play all 3 sometimes. I will say my first farm is finished. I had decided to move some things around to create a lay out that makes more sense, but when I headed to the Wizard’s to move the magical buildings, I realized I didn’t want to. I like my farm the imperfect way it it. That’s how I knew my 1st farm was “finished”. I started my other saves to marry other characters and try other layouts. I doubt I’ll make it to year 8 in any farm but my first though.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I restart primarily when:

There is a new major update: 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 ;)
My MP buddy has a new idea
The community here has an interesting idea to be added to my Lazy Portfolio

I have not been bitten by the bug to design and arrange a nice neat Farm and House as I have a problem with function over form. Have you seen the pilot episode of the original Star Trek TV show from the 1960s? Remember Vina's quote from the end? Spoilers for a 55-yr old TV program: They found me in the wreckage, dying. Lump of flesh. They rebuilt me. Everything works. But they had never seen a Human. They had no guide for putting me back together.

Yeah, that.

Squigglyruth

Planter
I played my first farm for about 6 years, and I've taken several others to 3 or 4. My current farm is going to be long term as I'm trying out Stardew Valley Expanded and there is still plenty to do at the start of Year 3. But I will probably restart with vanilla when the next major update rolls out.
On the other hand, I have a very large number of saves that I only took as far as the community centre or even the end of Spring Year 1. Those were when I was working on specific strategies or challenges.

starbrite

Sodbuster
I am on my third playthrough and restarted the first time because I no longer wanted to play on mobile. Playing on a tiny screen was hard for me and I kept plowing the wrong spaces for crops LOL. At the time I had no idea PC <-> mobile transfers were possible, but even if I knew that I just wanted to have a fresh start. I made a lot of mistakes on my first farm :P.

I was forced to restart on my 2nd playthrough though :/. The game save corrupted because I hadn't playing in such a long time and I was going from like a 1.3.1 update to a 1.4.5. Obliterated my game :(.

Under normal circumstances though I would only update after getting bored like finishing all the community center, being very rich and having nothing else to buy, or marrying, having kids, and just not seeing a way to progress and have fun.

Odin

Staff member
I've started new saves for separate platforms and if I'm playing multiplayer, but I've never made it that far in any of those. Otherwise, I haven't actually hit a point where I've wanted to restart. My main save is still the farm I started on PC when I first got the game.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I often make new saves for the new game updates but it can depend. I started off with like... 1.07 i think, and then I made my 1.1 save and kept it for a pretty long time. i also made a new save for 1.4 and will probably make a new save for 1.5 if there's enough early-game stuff

the only save i can safely say i 100% abandoned is my very first save file since it's kind of a mess. even so, it's still special to me

JaneH

Greenhorn
I am on my third playthrough and restarted the first time because I no longer wanted to play on mobile. Playing on a tiny screen was hard for me and I kept plowing the wrong spaces for crops LOL. At the time I had no idea PC <-> mobile transfers were possible, but even if I knew that I just wanted to have a fresh start. I made a lot of mistakes on my first farm :P.

I was forced to restart on my 2nd playthrough though :/. The game save corrupted because I hadn't playing in such a long time and I was going from like a 1.3.1 update to a 1.4.5. Obliterated my game :(.

Under normal circumstances though I would only update after getting bored like finishing all the community center, being very rich and having nothing else to buy, or marrying, having kids, and just not seeing a way to progress and have fun.

JaneH

Greenhorn
This is my question about restarting and I hope you can help. I am playing on a MAC- my son-in-law got me started on this game, but he didn't understand it and started me off AFTER Lewis takes you to the community center, so I have no access to the quarry, etc. I made a second character and got going great, but it won't let me build anything because I had built them on my other character. What am I doing wrong? Remember- I'm old and not that savvy! Thank you!

Ereo

Helper
This is my question about restarting and I hope you can help. I am playing on a MAC- my son-in-law got me started on this game, but he didn't understand it and started me off AFTER Lewis takes you to the community center, so I have no access to the quarry, etc. I made a second character and got going great, but it won't let me build anything because I had built them on my other character. What am I doing wrong? Remember- I'm old and not that savvy! Thank you!
I'm confused - do you have two different save files or two characters playing on the same map?

About starting the game after Lewis shows you the community center: that's still pretty early. You gain access to the quarry etc. by unlocking bundles in the Community center.

Lappy

Sodbuster
Well, I only have two saves. I started the second after I finished pretty much everything in the first - did all the quests, maxed all relationships, etc. I think the only things I didn't do was finish the video games at the saloon.

But the other thing that drove me to start a new farm was that my first was on a Rivers map. IMO, it's a pain to move around in that map, in the sense that the path to get from point A to point B is seldom a straight line. Also, the islands limit how many and where you can put up buildings. But I consider it a bit of a rite of passage.

It's like my first year of college - I was assigned to live in the residence hall with the smallest rooms. The next year, I was in a building with rooms that were about 20% bigger, but it felt ENORMOUS after having lived in such a small room the year before. So upon starting a Forest map, being able to move around freely without having to deal with islands and bridges was such a delight.

I was almost to the same point in my second farm (only quest left is reaching level 100 in Skull Cavern) when I decided to take a little break. It has turned into a prolonged break - 2 or 3 months now - as I've resumed a more regular work schedule and started doing other things in the meantime. In particular, I've gone back to regular crossword solving, thanks to kdau. I was close to starting my third farm at the time, but now, I'm awaiting 1.5 to release. I might start up again soon - I've been thinking about it for the past two weeks or so - to get myself back into the flow of the game before the update. Depending on what 1.5 contains, I may continue my second farm or start a third one anew.