got anything you're aiming to do this year?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
i've set up some personal goals, one is to read more and the other is to get through some vidya games. i'm really back into my star wars phase, so i have a ton of games to catch up on. i beat knights of the old republic a few days ago, and i'm playing battlefront 2 (2005) and republic commando before i jump into the second kotor game. on console i'm currently playing bounty hunter, which has been fun despite the bugs LOL

as for books, i bought this collection of books on sale a while ago and i haven't even finished the first one, but i should. it's called the cheerleaders by kara thomas and i like it, but it does a few things that kinda peeve me as a reader. i'm making myself read some stuff i bought before i get into, you guessed it, star wars novels

so what are y'all up to? anything you want to finish this year?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
become more literate and not fail algebra :D and get a good date to the prom

i got my eye on one dude, we're bros so ig i have a good chance
he'd better ask me
good luck with algebra! that was one of my least favorite subjects in school... or rather, i like basic algebra, but when we get into graphs and stuff i'm out LOL

also good luck with your guy! :)

Lew Zealand

Helper
First is to come up with some goals. I usually get something done in the week btw Christmas and New Years as a pre-New Years resolution because that makes sense:

You have to go back to school/work after New Year's, and now you want to start something new? WTH with that??

Anyhow, got the Big Room in the house (I'm super creative with naming-- no need to feel threatened, we're all buds here) rearranged, cleaned and organized so that we can do stuff and junk in there. And so we have, with more stuff and junk happening than ever before, so that's been good.

Next up is finishing some of the 23 games currently on my desktop. Finished one. Yay!

And installed another. Stupid Steam sale. The Kryptonite to my Wonder Woman.

Which is to say it's usually not a problem, but sometimes: oooooooOOOO Shiiiiiiny!!!

and green

Lew Zealand

Helper
become more literate and not fail algebra :D and get a good date to the prom

i got my eye on one dude, we're bros so ig i have a good chance
he'd better ask me
Heh, Algebra. I took it 4x before actually getting a decent grade in it. Hey, hey, just wait 'til Calc, I took it 4x before PASSING! 2 fail, 1 drop (in college), finally an A in CommCollege and then an A in 4yr College.

Turns out it's about teaching style and they changed from rote to reason, logic, & motivation and then it all made sense. So much sense that I took Calc II as a damn elective.

Keep positive and it all does make perfect sense, it's just the teacher that needs to show you how it makes sense. BTW they also changed History teaching the same way and I re-took that as well. Changed a D to an A, and it made all the sense in the world after a lifetime of Cs and then Ds in History classes.

Keep being fun and interesting and your guy will pay you all the right attention. Don't be boring like Clint me and you'll do great!

Odin

Staff member
one is to read more
While I'm not aiming to read more necessarily, I am trying to read more consistently this year. In past years I've often gotten off to a good start each year (especially since I usually have books I want to read from the holidays), but then I read less and less as the year goes on. So this year I have it built into my schedule to try and make it stick more. Currently I'm readying Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer.

rippytrippy

Planter
Heh, Algebra. I took it 4x before actually getting a decent grade in it. Hey, hey, just wait 'til Calc, I took it 4x before PASSING! 2 fail, 1 drop (in college), finally an A in CommCollege and then an A in 4yr College.

Turns out it's about teaching style and they changed from rote to reason, logic, & motivation and then it all made sense. So much sense that I took Calc II as a damn elective.

Keep positive and it all does make perfect sense, it's just the teacher that needs to show you how it makes sense. BTW they also changed History teaching the same way and I re-took that as well. Changed a D to an A, and it made all the sense in the world after a lifetime of Cs and then Ds in History classes.

Keep being fun and interesting and your guy will pay you all the right attention. Don't be boring like Clint me and you'll do great!
*sigh*. Algebra has got to be the most pointless branch in math. Though my romantic interest claims it's his favorite ;_;
I'm taking a higher lvl Algebra next year so I can get it out of the way. At least I hope to, sucking at algebra now and then doing a diff math and coming back to it in a year won't help anything rip

oh and thank you uwu i'm sure my charm will have a good effect on him

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
While I'm not aiming to read more necessarily, I am trying to read more consistently this year. In past years I've often gotten off to a good start each year (especially since I usually have books I want to read from the holidays), but then I read less and less as the year goes on. So this year I have it built into my schedule to try and make it stick more. Currently I'm readying Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer.
ooooh! is Annihilation the book that the movie of the same name is based off of, or is it something different?

LRangerR

Local Legend
Which do you like better? Kotor 1 or 2? Just like with the old Battlefronts, I like different parts about both games. Also which wookiee do you like better as a character: Zaalbar or Hanharr?

I used to read a LOT of manga but after the completion of Full Metal Alchemist I have only really been reading One Piece. Long story but I have about 6 months of chapters to read to get back up to date! Also, my fiance is introducing me to new series so I hope to read more manga this year.

I also have a 8 month old puppy and there are many many training goals with him. Mostly getting him to stop jumping at any person he meets in his excitement. He's 45 lbs of muscle. Not a good thing to be hit with when you are balancing to take off your shoes!

Also, I loved the Karen Travis books when I read them! Star Wars has so much it is easy to loose yourself in that universe (legends or otherwise).

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Which do you like better? Kotor 1 or 2? Just like with the old Battlefronts, I like different parts about both games. Also which wookiee do you like better as a character: Zaalbar or Hanharr?
I haven't played Kotor 2 yet, so I only have the first to go on! I really enjoyed it though, Carth was my favorite but I loved Mission, HK-47, and Jolee too. I'm playing Battlefront 2 (2005) right now and I'm overjoyed to hear Temuera Morrison's voice, haven't gotten deep into the new game yet but I did play a few hours of it a while ago. What did you like about the first Kotor?

I used to read a LOT of manga but after the completion of Full Metal Alchemist I have only really been reading One Piece. Long story but I have about 6 months of chapters to read to get back up to date! Also, my fiance is introducing me to new series so I hope to read more manga this year.

I also have a 8 month old puppy and there are many many training goals with him. Mostly getting him to stop jumping at any person he meets in his excitement. He's 45 lbs of muscle. Not a good thing to be hit with when you are balancing to take off your shoes!

Also, I loved the Karen Travis books when I read them! Star Wars has so much it is easy to loose yourself in that universe (legends or otherwise).
Ohh man, kudos on reading One Piece, that sounds like a huuuuge manga to get into. I hope you enjoy! Since you like FMA, you might like The Promised Neverland. I've read most of that manga, I'm only one volume behind while the next one has yet to come out. It's a really interesting story, I was sad to hear that the anime went WAY off the rails in the second season despite having such a great 1st season

Best of luck with your puppy!!! I do not miss my dog being little LOL it's so much work, but it is worth it :)

I'll get into Travis's stuff eventually! I have the first Thrawn trilogy book (Heir to the Empire) which is Zahn I think, but after that I'm going to get into republic commando and squadron books per recommendations and then I should probably delve into some of the canon books too (like the Aftermath trilogy)

LRangerR

Local Legend
I haven't played Kotor 2 yet, so I only have the first to go on! I really enjoyed it though, Carth was my favorite but I loved Mission, HK-47, and Jolee too. I'm playing Battlefront 2 (2005) right now and I'm overjoyed to hear Temuera Morrison's voice, haven't gotten deep into the new game yet but I did play a few hours of it a while ago. What did you like about the first Kotor?
That's really cool. Kotor 1 was just a really good RPG in general. Good story, good plot points, good characters, good battle system etc etc. I know a lot of people who just pick it up and play go straight to dual wielding the crap out of all their lightsabers and weapons and everything, but then one time i read somewhere that this is actually very non-star-wars-like. Almost every Star Wars character uses only a single one handed weapon, with a few notable exceptions (Darth Maul, Chewbacca, Ayla Secura). After thinking about this and reading more of that post (it's been lost to the sands of time), I started to really focus on the Dueling skill, and then after that, I started to create characters based on the various Lightsaber forms you can fight with. I'd decide beforehand which discipline I'd specialize in (or roll for it if i didn't feel like picking) and then try to stick to that form for the rest of the game. Made for some very interesting builds and duels throughout the game, including the fight with Darth Malak. I'm told, and I agree that a Jedi Sentinel and Consular are the two hardest classes to play, but if played right they're actually very strong.

THAT BEING SAID, minor Kotor 2 combat spoilers ahead. One of the things that's very interesting about Kotor 2 is the introduction of actual lightsaber forms and force disciplines you can learn throughout the course of the game. Depending on which class you are you learn different forms, some obviously being better than others in certain circumstances. Some of them are really cool, and so it makes it even more interesting to build around specializing those forms of combat. And i must say, ALL of them are viable (even Form 6). Don't listen to what others say just pick which one you feel like rolling with, although there really is nothing quite like putting master speed on a Guardian's force jump while using Form 7 (+1 attack) and just 1 shot Force Jumping an entire level upon entering the room in a matter of 5 in-game seconds (I used pause to re-acquire targets). Although I think I also did this in the Sith Hangar on Manaan once, so it's viable in Kotor 1 as well.

Also, there are 3 new slots for upgrades on lightsabers that you can use to further customize your lazersword with, making certain builds very lethal (like Form 5's critical x'er bonus for even more massive crits with the right weapons). There's also this one trait on the tree you can get that allows for viable creation of ranged weapon only characters, eventually eliminating the attack malus and giving a defensive bonus to characters fighting in melee with ranged weapons.

Anyways, I could go on and on about it. I've played the hell out of both games and am pretty good at both. Slight and major differences make both the games unique, and although you'll be missing some of the characters, a few of them make a return appearance for Kotor2. So enjoy :)

Anhaga

Rancher
I'm going to finish learning the basics of JavaScript. I've started learning JS 2-3 times, but always get distracted by other tasks partway through. I need to finish learning, though, so I don't have to rely on the junior members of my team to deal with JS questions. I'm also working on a couple of certifications for work that will leave me in a better situation for jobs on the off chance something happens to the company where I work now (not likely, but I like to plan for the worst case scenario).

Dr. eeL

Farmer
The Star Wars books written by Timothy Zahn are excellent, in that they feature Admiral Thrawn, a fascinating character that Disney would be wise to follow up on. Verbal skills, and mathematics skills utilize completely independent parts of the brain. So it is possible to be great at one, and struggle with the other (or be good at both). For most, after surviving algebra mostly on prayer, and then getting lost in the mines of analytical geometry and trig, is 100% normal, and courses like algebra, trig, calculus, and statistics are more of a rite of passage, than anything one would actually use in their future. If you are a college science major, however, those math credits are like gold.