Time goes too fast

Johnny99

Newcomer
Would it be possible to add an option to Stardew Valley to slow down time? Perhaps as a difficulty option when starting a new game?

A few things:

Generally I don't believe this will be added to vanilla. This is not a value judgement from me on whether or not I believe it should be in there, I'm just looking at the evidence. There were multiple ways to slow down time previously, such as opening your journal when you were about to go to sleep. Those methods have quite consistently been patched out when discovered. As such it seems clear to me that the management of time as a limited resource is seen by CA as one of the defining hallmarks of the game archetype, and I don't see it as likely that a way to slow down time will be added.

That being said, there are mods out there which achieve this. Such as for example this one, if you're playing on a platform which supports mods.

Finally, I've played with that mod before. I won't do so again. Primarily because the days by default are a good length in terms of real time spent to finish them. As a forewarning, if you start allowing slow time / freezing time, it was my experience that you very rapidly can acquire everything you want in a season well before a significant portion of the season has passed, and you end up both not wanting to play because the days take too long to complete and not wanting to play because you have nothing you're excited to do. Which is ironic since you can always just go to sleep, but nonetheless, that was my experience. So if you do go for something like this mod, personally I'd recommend approaching it with a wary eye and the foreknowledge that it may well ruin whatever save you play it on and your general game experience.

Regardless, I hope that helps at least somewhat, and best of luck!

LRangerR

Local Legend
For example, you could just fish all day and sell stuff to willy for money, and then mine down as far as you want to get all the ore you need, go to clint, and have gold tools all in the first few days.

Phate4569

Planter
Would it be possible to add an option to Stardew Valley to slow down time? Perhaps as a difficulty option when starting a new game?
You may think it goes to fast now, but I promise you eventually it will seem too long. Eventually you'll complete your morning chores in an hour or two and have the entire day to go do other stuff of your choosing.

This is a major part of the game, learning to manage your time, optimize your efforts, figure out how to be efficient and productive. This is not Animal Crossing.

Cuusardo

Farmer
The thing I don't like about time is the way it doesn't stop at all during heart scenes and opening geodes when you're in a co-op game. It's so frustrating to miss something because you walk unexpectedly into a heart scene that eats up hours of your game time. You can't pause during heart scenes, but at least you can pause the game while you're opening geodes.

Darth Revan

Sodbuster
I believe that time is designed like this because otherwise it would take a long time to progress. Even so, in end game you will have a lot of time left over.

Tom

Farmer
TimeSpeed mod: I keep it installed, and I mostly do a good job of not using it except in emergencies or to just look around at leisure. But I must warn also that sometimes I leave time frozen by accident, which is definitely a spoiler of fun.

Multi-player: I completely agree that the shared synchronous multi-player clock is ConcernedApe's only true "mistake" of the game. He should have let each player run on an independent clock and not sweated whether it was dark for Sarah and noon for Rachel. Let Sarah and Rachel work that out themselves. The continuously running shared clock is a disaster (cut scenes, fishing, inventory management, shopping, ...).