Issue SVE: Can't enter the movie theatre with Martin

I'm playing SVE.
I go to the movie theatre every sunday with some villager, and up to now everything went fine. Today it's sunday again, 14th of Winter. I bought 2 tickets, invited Martin, but everytime I try to enter the theatre, nothing happens - the door just doesn't open. First try was at 7pm, so I re-started the day and tried to enter at 3pm - but I'm still unable to enter. As I said, this has never happened before.
So I've downloaded and installed all file updates shown in SMAPI: SMAPI itself, Content Patcher, Custom Music, Extra Map Layers, Json Assets, Space Core. Now I can enter the building, talk with Martin, buy him a concession - but then again cannot enter the cinema hall.

Here's what the SMAPI error message says:
[game] An error occurred in the base update loop: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at StardewValley.Locations.MovieTheater.GetFirstInvitedPlayer(NPC npc) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\MovieTheater.cs:line 1777
at StardewValley.Locations.MovieTheater.OnRequestStartMovieEvent(Int64 uid) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\MovieTheater.cs:line 485
at Netcode.AbstractNetEvent1`1.Poll() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Netcode\NetEvent.cs:line 148
at StardewValley.Locations.MovieTheater._ShowMovieStartReady() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\MovieTheater.cs:line 578
at StardewValley.Locations.MovieTheater.OnMovieViewerLockEvent(MovieViewerLockEvent e) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\MovieTheater.cs:line 570
at Netcode.AbstractNetEvent1`1.Poll() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Netcode\NetEvent.cs:line 148
at StardewValley.Locations.MovieTheater.<performAction>b__91_0() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\MovieTheater.cs:line 2035
at StardewValley.Network.NetMutex.Update(FarmerCollection farmers) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Network\NetMutex.cs:line 89
at StardewValley.FarmerTeam.Update() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\FarmerTeam.cs:line 1291
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4283
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3974
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.OnPlayerInstanceUpdating(SGame instance, GameTime gameTime, Action runUpdate) in SMAPI\Framework\SCore.cs:line 1117

As I understand the first line of this message, the error might have to do with Martin?

Has anyone ever had the same problem? Anyone here to help me out?

Okay, according to the Ask-for-help-guide, here's my platform: PC, Windows 10
Game version: Stardew Valley 1.5, mod: Stardew Valley Expanded ... but all this is in the latest log file: https://smapi.io/log/d8df57febf604ec884ff6c22b04b0d99

Steps to reproduce as already described in the above post:
1. invited Martin to the movie theatre
2. could not enter the movie theatre
3. installed all mods necessary for SVE indicated in SMAPI to have a newer version: SMAPI itself, Content Patcher, Custom Music, Extra Map Layers, Json Assets, Space Core - that means, that I downloaded them from the URLs indicated in SMAPI, unzipped in a separate folder, removed the older versions from the mods folder and put the newest ones in
4. re-started the day once more, invited Martin
5. could enter the movie theatre, talk with Martin and buy him a concession
6. could not enter the cinema hall

I would really appreciate any help. As for now, I just refrain from going to the movie theatre with an NPC.
Thing is - a new problem has arisen, which perhaps I'd better describe in a separate thread ...

Thanks in advance!

edit: I went to the cinema again for testing purposes, once with Morgan (worked out fine) and once with Martin, and now it worked with him too! However, it was only a film he likes (last time I had chosen his favourite), and he didn't touch his chocolate popcorn, although he loves it according to SVE Wiki (but I could live with that).
I don't know if that solves the problem, though.

Last edited:

moneyisnice69

Newcomer
I’m having this same issue 😭 it happened to me when I tried to update a couple of my mods (Ridgeside and East Scarp). Did you manage to find a permanent fix to your problem?

No, I didn't. I didn't play for a couple of months, then started a new save. I'm now in winter year 3, and didn't go to the movies yet.
Did you find a fix?

SVE seems to have more bugs than this. It happened twice when I was working in the greenhouse in the evening, that two chests I keep next to the house disappeared - the first time, even the tools that had been in the chests suddenly came flying towards me into the greenhouse. Well, that was spooky.
And the second time, my statue of perfection disappeared too. Fortunately, I got a new one from Grandpa's shrine.