Seed Makers

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
Does anybody really use them? Seems to me like you'd need an army of 'em to make seeds fast enough to be worthwhile. I'd love to see them have a hopper--like the mill--so you could just throw a dozen whatevers in and wake up to find a useable number of seed packets. I think that would turn the seed maker from a curiosity, something you use just for ancient fruit or gem berries, into an actual useful device.

Chililover

Planter
this would be great, but How about a compromise. If you give a stack of fruit to your spouse they will either eat it, or turn it in to seeds!!
(This is a joke!)

Ereo

Helper
I wouldn't use them on sweet gem berries. It would be more expensive than buying rare seeds.
One rare seed: 1000g
One sweet gem berry: 3000g (base value)

So even if you restart and do it repeatedly to get the max of 3 seeds, you'd just break even.

I use it to get grape trellis from foraged grapes in summer and for ancient fruit, but otherwise I don't think it's really worth it. Or maybe I'm just to lazy to calculate cost of seed vs cost of crop.

It can be a fun challenge to get a self-sufficient farm, though.
A system like the mill could help to make it a bit more user-friendly.

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
I wouldn't use them on sweet gem berries. It would be more expensive than buying rare seeds.
One rare seed: 1000g
One sweet gem berry: 3000g (base value)

So even if you restart and do it repeatedly to get the max of 3 seeds, you'd just break even.
That's true. I can't believe I never did the math for that; for a little bit, I was growing Sweet Gem Berries and turning the regular ones into seed. I think I'd just gotten lucky, and had a couple berries give me three seeds each, and I'd been growing gold-star ones from those seeds, and so I never thought about how much it would actually cost to do that. I was just poor from compulsively buying every rare seed I found, I guess... 😆