Issue New computer monitor, now game is stuttering

Rynne

Greenhorn
Hi! I recently switched monitors from a Dell S2318HN to an Asus VG249Q1A. The old monitor had a refresh rate of 60Hz; the new monitor has a refresh rate of 144Hz. Since getting the new monitor, I've noticed that the game stutters, especially when the screen is scrolling (like when you walk up and down your farm, for instance).

I've attached my computer specs to the post. Here is my SMAPI log.

I've noticed that if I go into Windows display settings and change the refresh rate from 144Hz to 60Hz, the stuttering is fixed. Is there a way to automatically switch refresh rates when starting and exiting the game?

Attachments

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hi! I recently switched monitors from a Dell S2318HN to an Asus VG249Q1A. The old monitor had a refresh rate of 60Hz; the new monitor has a refresh rate of 144Hz. Since getting the new monitor, I've noticed that the game stutters, especially when the screen is scrolling (like when you walk up and down your farm, for instance).

I've attached my computer specs to the post. Here is my SMAPI log.

I've noticed that if I go into Windows display settings and change the refresh rate from 144Hz to 60Hz, the stuttering is fixed. Is there a way to automatically switch refresh rates when starting and exiting the game?
Hi Rynne and Welcome to the Forums!

I've messed with this a lot and the simple answer is: set your monitor to 60Hz before playing Stardew Valley. SDV doesn't seem to have the capability to do more than 60 fps, even if you try to "force" it to 144Hz using VSync. Even 120Hz and VSync doesn't work as I thought maybe it could do double frame rate and still look smooth, but it still judder/stutters annoyingly.

Rynne

Greenhorn
Hi Rynne and Welcome to the Forums!

I've messed with this a lot and the simple answer is: set your monitor to 60Hz before playing Stardew Valley. SDV doesn't seem to have the capability to do more than 60 fps, even if you try to "force" it to 144Hz using VSync. Even 120Hz and VSync doesn't work as I thought maybe it could do double frame rate and still look smooth, but it still judder/stutters annoyingly.
Hi Lew, and thanks for the welcome! I came to the same conclusions while messing around with it. Good to know that it's intended behavior and not my game suddenly acting funky. Thanks for the help! :)