"Magic pill" to make barn animals pregnant, bought at Marnie's

The mechanic and randomness implemented right now in Stardew Valley to get your barn animals pregnant, is, in my humble opinion, the worst mechanic in SV right now. It is really underdeveloped and harms the playstyle, in which you raise animals to sell them for profit, like you are able to do with your coop animals. Also, I would like to see and own more baby cows, sheeps an pigs on my farm!😍

The easiest way would be some kind of "magic pill" or just male semen, which you buy at Marnie's. Or make it a craftable item. It is also the way how Harvest Moon managed it back in the day. But I wouldn't mind an even more flashed out game mechanic, if we would at least get rid of the current mechanic.

(Sorry for my English)

Last edited:
That's a cool idea, but the concept of the pill itself feels a bit un-ethical.
Well, it is at least based on real life. You can buy semen to make cows pregnant. The "magic pill" would just be the kids-friendly version. But we even have the doves magic to disappear your own kids, so...how unethical is that in comparison?

Also, all the coop eggs are also "magically" fertilized in your incubators. I don't see a magical pill that far stretched in SV-lore.

But I would also be happy, if I could pay for an overnight service, which leaves your barn animals pregnant, maybe with the fairies. Or you could craft some special food. But I would prefer the semen/magic pill at Marnie's.

Last edited:

LRangerR

Local Legend
Lol, stemcell babies for cows.

Have you ever seen a cow get artificially inseminated irl? Just curious.

And when you say it harms "the playstyle" i think you mean it harms "your" playstyle, which is to try to mass produce animals. Nothing wrong with that, but i just don't think that a "magic pill" is the way to go. I wouldn't mind being able to purchase more incubators though, as far as coop animals go.

That's a cool idea, but the concept of the pill itself feels a bit un-ethical.
I kinda think the concept of an "auto-petter" is unethical as well, personally.

Lol, stemcell babies for cows.

Have you ever seen a cow get artificially inseminated irl? Just curious.

And when you say it harms "the playstyle" i think you mean it harms "your" playstyle, which is to try to mass produce animals. Nothing wrong with that, but i just don't think that a "magic pill" is the way to go. I wouldn't mind being able to purchase more incubators though, as far as coop animals go.

I kinda think the concept of an "auto-petter" is unethical as well, personally.
As I said, it doesn't have to be magic pills or semen, SV-lore offers other solutions, but it should be more in the hands of the player than by pure random chance, depended on your barn capacity. But the pill is the solution that Harvest Moon offered 1996.

And it has nothing to do with "your" or "mine" playstyle, it is just another playstyle: Breeding barn animals (your ducks already sell for a profit). And I would like to see more babies.

And yeah, I have seen it. It is just a farming routine on cow ranches for milk production.

There is a mod for this, Animal Husbandry Mod.
Ok, nice to know, but I don't do mods and would like a more officially developed solution. And I understand why you can't butcher animals officially in Stardew Valley, but more cute baby barn animals would be an alright trade off for a "magic pill"/fairy magic/whatever mechanic in my opinion.

Last edited:

goboking

Rancher
The reproduction rate of barn animals either needs to be increased or Rancher needs to boost it by a healthy margin.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
(just letting you know i edited the title, it edges on nsfw territory but i kept your post the same)

i'm unsure the point of the animals is necessarily to sell them for profit, though that mechanic IS there so i wouldn't mind something to improve on it or to encourage people to buy/sell more animals

LRangerR

Local Legend
I know Stardew is a different game, but in Harvest Moon you could make a healthy living working a livestock ranch.

In the end it's just playstyle differences. Some people keep them for food and some people keep them for pets.