I need help

SoftViceMaster

Farmhand
I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I've been asking everywhere and I'm running out of options.

Long story short, I have 6 months to find a job or I'll be kicked out. Problem is, I am disabled so my best options are any remote/at home online jobs. And most either have a very low acceptance rate, it's a complete scam, or the application process is so confusing to me that I just can't figure it out (faulty sites and all that). I have so far only gotten ONE referral, thanks to a kind person on TikTok who helped me...but I still have the other issues, and the job they referred me to also has a low acceptance rate.

I know that I have 6 months, but still. I feel like I have to get a job right now, or I'm f**ked. I live in a s**thole of a town, it is 90% heavy lifting and jobs that can't pay for employees regardless. And with my disabilities, I have to get a job that allows me to sit while having little interaction with people. And I can't get a job outside of my area, because any of the actual good ones are all so far away that I'd never find a ride back home unless it was the local bus (which has a very strict schedule so if I miss it then I'm f**ked). And I am lucky my brother is giving me 6 months, but I don't know if I'll find anything by the deadline. I'm literally mortified, I don't know what to do about this.

[ UPDATE #1 ]
I forgot to add this in before, but yes I have tried applying for disability already. I have been denied every single time I tried, despite having so much proof of my disabilities I am always told I am 'too young' to be disabled or my brother simply makes too much from his job for me to qualify. And I have tried applying online for it, but they don't offer it online in my state and I'm just scared I'll run out of time before I get approved or I'll just be outright denied again. I am genuinely scared, I hate this and I hate being disabled because it's just ruining everything. I wish I had someone to guide me, instead of having to 'be an adult' and do it all on my own. Because doing it on my own hasn't helped s**t.

[ UPDATE #2 ]
To make this easier (and to make sure I don't get the same questions more than a couple times) I'm just going to post my replies to everyone's questions right here. That way, I hope that I can actually get the answers I'm looking for without having to repeat myself multiple times (nothing against any of 'yall I just went through this same issue on Gaia Online and I wanna keep it as clean as possible).

This response was to (( LRangerR )):

No problem :heart:

It's a bit to talk about, so I'll break it into two:
(Mental) ADHD, Major Depression, Anxiety, BPD, PTSD
(Physical) CHF, Type 2 Diabetes
(these are the ones I've been diagnosed with)

I used to just have the mental stuff, but ever since I got covid in 2022 my physical health has been downhill. I actually almost died, and my doctor fully believes that Covid set it all off (Type 2 is common for those who get covid plus I was already susceptible to that and getting CHF). Despite all of this, I have been constantly denied for disability solely because of my age and the fact my brother makes 'too much' at his job. And I have tried to not do it as a 'joint household', still denied.

This response was to (( stardew_luv )):
The US sucks, nowadays they're trying to further diminish the help people get when they are disabled/sick while saying 'no one wants to work'. I honestly wish I wasn't constantly denied any of this, literally my state is one of the few where it's supposed to be 'easier' and yet not once have I been accepted since I was 16 (any time I was it's solely the benefits side and they always tried just getting me into some kind of job even after I proved I had disabilities - even with the literal chronic heart condition that could kill me any day now, I still have never gotten approved). And I know that I can try to plead my case with whomever the person who's been denying my applications for disability is, but I don't wanna do it on my own and at this point I feel like I can't due to my disabilities getting in the way. I am not that smart, I'd fumble my case so badly on my own that I'd be laughed out of the hearing almost immediately. In fact, I know that I've needed help writing every single application because (1) I have very bad memory and (2) I don't understand what the questions are often asking unless it's explained to me in detail. And yet, no one sees an issue with me at all even after all the evidence of me being mentally (and now physically) disabled. Even now, I know that I won't remember much of this thread later if at all because my brain goes through so much it forgets things so I don't get overwhelmed and have a meltdown.

And you know what I really hate? I could've been approved so much sooner, if my s**tty landlord had sent in their paperwork all those years ago. I'd be on disability by now, but no they had to be an old a**hole and say 'just go get a job'. I was 18 at the time, and I was trying to get a job but I knew it'd take time so I went for disability first - if they would've sent in their part of the paperwork, we wouldn't have been penniless for the next 3-4 years and they would've at least gotten partial rent money. But NO, they saw me as 'lazy' and 'entitled' for wanting to get on disability instead.

...sorry for the rant there, I just had to get it out before my brain decides to throw it away in the 'Forget Me' bin.

This response was to (( Giddy )) on Bell Tree Forums:
I do have my documents, been saving them as best I can since the last time I saw my therapist. But I've shown everyone numerous times, even gave them photo copies several times over, and it still hasn't helped at all (I actually lost my documents last year because the folder got soaked and my brother threw them all out by 'accident - i.e. without my permission or informing me until I asked where they were). The closest I got was with my last doctor, they got my application seen in a month rather than six and it still got denied outright. I still fully believe I'm denied because I'm under 30, I am afab, and I have no work experience or highschool degree. My mom had the exact same issues I do right now health-wise, and they never believed her - she was 45 when she passed, and they could 'never figure out' why she was so sick or how she exactly died despite having the documents showing her health was hanging on by a threat.

They already have that down in my records, even said that I most likely (like 90% sure) that I need a caretaker to help me with just my mental disabilities alone. And I was so close to getting one...until I was denied disability, and it was too long since I last talked to my caseworker at the time so that was taken away from me too. So my doctor knows full well that I am not mentally stable enough to care for myself, but their word/guidance wasn't enough to push me through. After that, I just gave up. That time was the closest I ever got to getting my goal, and it crushed me so badly I 100% believe it made my mental health even worse than before.

I use OneTab on my laptop to keep track of all those jobs specifically (mostly so I don't forget but also to show proof), at the moment I only have two because the rest were either scams or the sites they led me to were so confusing I just gave up trying applying to that job. Currently, I've applied to two AI writing jobs - one is for subtitle writing, and the other is algorithm learning. The latter was a reference that a kind soul on TikTok gave me, but for both they have a very low acceptance rate and I have to wait for an email from either to see if I was accepted or not (they don't send an email if I was denied). These are the kinds of jobs I can realistically do, and it's still so hard and I'm scared that I will never get accepted for these kinds of jobs at all.

Are you asking why my brother isn't 'helping' me? Because if you are, I can explain his reasoning for it - he just doesn't want to waste more energy on me. Not only is he autistic, but he has his night job at the factory and his partner only comes on the weekends. And I will admit, I am not the easiest to be around...my issues really get in the way of everything, I have a hard time keeping up chores and I always complain or say something depressing/morbid. Plus, I believe I am some form of hypochondriac (I get so easily paranoid and have a 'fear of failure' type phobia that is so ingrained into me from my past trauma that it's how I deal with stress). I do understand he is helping me so much already (he pays for my food and keeps me living where I do now at least for the next six months), but now everyone is making me feel like I'm some narcissist who is 'using' my brother to get what I want. And it hurts, to hear everyone say I am being 'manipulative' when in reality they know I am mentally/physically disabled and need help.

I know, it really sucks. And the thing is, it really started with my s**ty landlord. The old a**hole wanted me to 'get a job', so they didn't send in their part of the paperwork and that caused us (at the time it was just my mom and I) to have no money for almost 3-4 years. It was h*ll, and to this day that old idiot still wants me to 'get a job' - but they get paid by my brother, so they don't say s**t to me or him anymore.

I really wish I just had someone here to help physically guide me, I have tried saying for years that I need that kind of help but no one understands or even cares enough to give me that. Yeah, I'm an adult. But I'm still mentally disabled, and I wish people didn't just outright think I'm lying 'for attention' or just laugh at me and say I am 'definitely not disabled' simply because I'm still walking and breathing/talking. And now I'm just gonna cry the rest of the night, this all brought up a lot of bad memories for me.

This response was to (( Chris )) on Bell Tree Forums:
I know they exist in my area, but due to my town being so small there is only one. And it's also used for ex criminals. I was in it before, I did have a 'job' for a week at some thrift store and it allowed me to keep my benefits. But my disabilities (and the toxic work environment) had forced me to be pulled out. I kept my benefits for awhile after that, but I've never been able to get disability. And I've tried ever 2-3 years, but every time I re-apply I'm denied.

I know, I feel the exact same. I can do most of the research myself, but I'm a bit slow and I always end up missing/forgetting important details or I end up saying the wrong thing because I misunderstand what's being asked. And every time I try to explain this, people say I am 'not that dumb' because I can obviously do certain things so it is 'not that hard'. It's caused me to just stop trying multiple times, especially since I have had to ask my brother for help in the exact same ways multiple times and he gets angry/upset with me about it.

Last edited:

stardew_luv

Planter
I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I've been asking everywhere and I'm running out of options.

Long story short, I have 6 months to find a job or I'll be kicked out. Problem is, I am disabled so my best options are any remote/at home online jobs. And most either have a very low acceptance rate, it's a complete scam, or the application process is so confusing to me that I just can't figure it out (faulty sites and all that). I have so far only gotten ONE referral, thanks to a kind person on TikTok who helped me...but I still have the other issues, and the job they referred me to also has a low acceptance rate.

I know that I have 6 months, but still. I feel like I have to get a job right now, or I'm f**ked. I live in a s**thole of a town, it is 90% heavy lifting and jobs that can't pay for employees regardless. And with my disabilities, I have to get a job that allows me to sit while having little interaction with people. And I can't get a job outside of my area, because any of the actual good ones are all so far away that I'd never find a ride back home unless it was the local bus (which has a very strict schedule so if I miss it then I'm f**ked). And I am lucky my brother is giving me 6 months, but I don't know if I'll find anything by the deadline. I'm literally mortified, I don't know what to do about this.​
I’m am so so sorry. I have no suggestions, I’m sorry, but as one also disabled you have my utmost sympathies and I will remember you in my prayers, good thoughts, or whatever your belief might be. Are you able to qualify for disability or other government assistance? If that offends you I’m really sorry and please ignore my suggestion. (((HUGS)))

SoftViceMaster

Farmhand
I’m am so so sorry. I have no suggestions, I’m sorry, but as one also disabled you have my utmost sympathies and I will remember you in my prayers, good thoughts, or whatever your belief might be. Are you able to qualify for disability or other government assistance? If that offends you I’m really sorry and please ignore my suggestion. (((HUGS)))
I appreciate the sympathy, really. :heart:

I have tried that numerous times in the past, but I always get the same excuses - either I am 'too young' to be this disabled, or my brother is just making too much money for me to qualify for anything. And I've been trying since I was 16 (so basically 11 years now). I wish that I could just figure this out on my own, but my disabilities make it very hard and it's obvious that trying on my own hasn't done anything for me either. I need someone there with me to get through it all, but not even my brother or his partner can help me as they are often both 'too busy' (i.e. they have work all the time and when they don't they're hanging out together or sleeping). So I feel trapped, I have so much evidence for my disabilities and yet I'm denied every time I try to get help. I did 'give up' a long time ago on ever trying again, and now I'm forced into this s**tty situation because we need more money than what my brother is currently making on his own.​

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
Had you been in a european country, there is social wellfare by the State. You receive a monthly sum, which changes based on your disability percentage (you have to be examined by a doctors crew, who sometimes sc rew you over and you have to repeat the process annually in most cases). You also receive certain perks, employers are being made to reserve one or two spots for the occasional disabled person who needs work and there are special schools, which teach specific skills, depending on the disability type, for free (like Braille reading to the blind people). There is even social mingling, events and speeches, geared towards making the public more sensitive to the issues our fellow people with special needs, daily face.

Your best bet, is to start by seeking authorized state institutions, geared towards your specific type of disability. Those help individuals out and sometimes, act on their behalf. They let them know of their rights and specific (state-provided) aid they qualify for, if any. A relative of mine is blind and old, but he used to work at a telephone center for many years, until retired for pension. Of course, modern technology and advancements, have deprived people of certain job opportunities, especially this one; with automated messages, AI responses and whatnot.

Seek people with the same disability and ask them where they can refer to, for cases like yours. Beware scammy lawyers though and crafty cons; disabled people are the beloved target of such unscrupulous trash. Always make certain the org or institution, is legally ok, state authorized and with the proper credentials.

Best wishes

stardew_luv

Planter
Had you been in a european country, there is social wellfare by the State. You receive a monthly sum, which changes based on your disability percentage (you have to be examined by a doctors crew, who sometimes sc rew you over and you have to repeat the process annually in most cases). You also receive certain perks, employers are being made to reserve one or two spots for the occasional disabled person who needs work and there are special schools, which teach specific skills, depending on the disability type, for free (like Braille reading to the blind people). There is even social mingling, events and speeches, geared towards making the public more sensitive to the issues our fellow people with special needs, daily face.

Your best bet, is to start by seeking authorized state institutions, geared towards your specific type of disability. Those help individuals out and sometimes, act on their behalf. They let them know of their rights and specific (state-provided) aid they qualify for, if any. A relative of mine is blind and old, but he used to work at a telephone center for many years, until retired for pension. Of course, modern technology and advancements, have deprived people of certain job opportunities, especially this one; with automated messages, AI responses and whatnot.

Seek people with the same disability and ask them where they can refer to, for cases like yours. Beware scammy lawyers though and crafty cons; disabled people are the beloved target of such unscrupulous trash. Always make certain the org or institution, is legally ok, state authorized and with the proper credentials.

Best wishes
We ‘have’ that too in the states (🤣😔) but you heave to get denied fifty times first and play their puppet games, be at deaths doorstep so they don’t have to care for you long, or be homeless (though in a few states if you admit that you can get literally arrested.) It’s the biggest joke a supposedly ‘great’ country can offer people. I’m so ashamed to be American at times it’s not even funny. And don’t get me started what they let their vets (their servicepeople and their families) suffer through after literally offering their bodies, minds, and in many cases lives to serve their country who leaves them high and dry unless you are at the top of the leadership tier, even then it’s a very questionable compensation to what they’ve been through and will continue go through for the rest of their lives. Sad just sad.😔

SoftViceMaster

Farmhand
I hope it's not too intrusive to ask, but what kind of disabilities do you struggle with?
No problem :heart:

It's a bit to talk about, so I'll break it into two:
(Mental) ADHD, Major Depression, Anxiety, BPD, PTSD
(Physical) CHF, Type 2 Diabetes
(these are the ones I've been diagnosed with)

I used to just have the mental stuff, but ever since I got covid in 2022 my physical health has been downhill. I actually almost died, and my doctor fully believes that Covid set it all off (Type 2 is common for those who get covid plus I was already susceptible to that and getting CHF). Despite all of this, I have been constantly denied for disability solely because of my age and the fact my brother makes 'too much' at his job. And I have tried to not do it as a 'joint household', still denied.

SoftViceMaster

Farmhand
Had you been in a european country, there is social wellfare by the State. You receive a monthly sum, which changes based on your disability percentage (you have to be examined by a doctors crew, who sometimes screw you over and you have to repeat the process annually in most cases). You also receive certain perks, employers are being made to reserve one or two spots for the occasional disabled person who needs work and there are special schools, which teach specific skills, depending on the disability type, for free (like Braille reading to the blind people). There is even social mingling, events and speeches, geared towards making the public more sensitive to the issues our fellow people with special needs, daily face.

Best wishes
I really wish I could live somewhere else, but at this point I feel like I'll end up like my mom (she was never believed and treated poorly by doctors until her heart gave out). It's just so messed up, I wish here in the US it was just a bit easier to have people believe I'm truly disabled and cannot work.

Honestly, with my issues, I don't think there are any specific ones. Plus, every time I try to apply, they either deny me outright or just try getting me to work and I end up falling out of it because of my issues not allowing me to even do the basics I need to.

I guess me asking for advice wherever I can is me trying to do that. I honestly don't know what I can do on my own at this point, I don't have anyone IRL who can help guide me through all this and I feel so trapped. I just keep on thinking of my mom, how she tried her best and still no one believed she was truly sick until after she died. And I was the one who helped her, because I expected I'd get the same from others if I ended up the same as her...I just feel so stupid for that now.

SoftViceMaster

Farmhand
We ‘have’ that too in the states (🤣😔) but you heave to get denied fifty times first and play their puppet games, be at deaths doorstep so they don’t have to care for you long, or be homeless (though in a few states if you admit that you can get literally arrested.) It’s the biggest joke a supposedly ‘great’ country can offer people. I’m so ashamed to be American at times it’s not even funny. And don’t get me started what they let their vets (their servicepeople and their families) suffer through after literally offering their bodies, minds, and in many cases lives to serve their country who leaves them high and dry unless you are at the top of the leadership tier, even then it’s a very questionable compensation to what they’ve been through and will continue go through for the rest of their lives. Sad just sad.😔
Yes, all of this.

The US sucks, nowadays they're trying to further diminish the help people get when they are disabled/sick while saying 'no one wants to work'. I honestly wish I wasn't constantly denied any of this, literally my state is one of the few where it's supposed to be 'easier' and yet not once have I been accepted since I was 16 (any time I was it's solely the benefits side and they always tried just getting me into some kind of job even after I proved I had disabilities - even with the literal chronic heart condition that could kill me any day now, I still have never gotten approved). And I know that I can try to plead my case with whomever the person who's been denying my applications for disability is, but I don't wanna do it on my own and at this point I feel like I can't due to my disabilities getting in the way. I am not that smart, I'd fumble my case so badly on my own that I'd be laughed out of the hearing almost immediately. In fact, I know that I've needed help writing every single application because (1) I have very bad memory and (2) I don't understand what the questions are often asking unless it's explained to me in detail. And yet, no one sees an issue with me at all even after all the evidence of me being mentally (and now physically) disabled. Even now, I know that I won't remember much of this thread later if at all because my brain goes through so much it forgets things so I don't get overwhelmed and have a meltdown.

And you know what I really hate? I could've been approved so much sooner, if my s**tty landlord had sent in their paperwork all those years ago. I'd be on disability by now, but no they had to be an old a**hole and say 'just go get a job'. I was 18 at the time, and I was trying to get a job but I knew it'd take time so I went for disability first - if they would've sent in their part of the paperwork, we wouldn't have been penniless for the next 3-4 years and they would've at least gotten partial rent money. But NO, they saw me as 'lazy' and 'entitled' for wanting to get on disability instead.

...sorry for the rant there, I just had to get it out before my brain decides to throw it away in the 'Forget Me' bin.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Sorry I wish I knew what to say or do, all I can offer is commiseration and an example of what can happen even if someone does all the things "right." Lil bro has a great many challenges thanks to cerebral palsy (I have a lil' bit of it as well) and other mental challenges. Docs said he may not walk, won't ride a bike, learn, read, may not talk, will have bad fine motor skill problems. This is ~50 years ago and understandable as many (most) parents were looking for excuses to institutionalize their "problem" children and docs at the time were willing to go along with it.

My parents don't work that way as older brother already had his own set of challenges. As dad said to mom when older bro got his first diagnosis: We've been dealt these cards, we will play them to the end. No fold.

Long story short: lil bro graduates HS, reads like a pro, rides bike, drives to work, builds model ships, Eagle Scout, has a job and an apartment. Um, well. So they did their job too well. His challenged friends from school are on gov assistance with paid rent and expenses, all of them. Except lil bro. Doesn't qualify, too 'competent.' G^@$%@@mit. He is still challenged, he is aware of his limitations and knows how to get along in the world thanks to his schooling and mom and dad.

When I was a kid, I knew I'd need to take care of him when I grew up, except I didn't need to. But now rents are crazy and he simply cannot afford the recent increases after "refurbishment" so it looks like he'll be moving back in with mom, luckily she has the space. Not sure about her tolerance for his quirks but there's no other option and she's plenty familiar with them. The thing for him is he's physically competent even with CP so working at a supermarket is doable for a (meh, formerly) reasonable income. He puts freakin' 40K steps in every day at work, I worry about how long his body can handle that but he loves to eat so is motivated. Whatever works, eh?

Sorry I just rambled here and was of no assistance but maybe I distracted you for a while.:flower:

SoftViceMaster

Farmhand
Sorry I wish I knew what to say or do, all I can offer is commiseration and an example of what can happen even if someone does all the things "right." Lil bro has a great many challenges thanks to cerebral palsy (I have a lil' bit of it as well) and other mental challenges. Docs said he may not walk, won't ride a bike, learn, read, may not talk, will have bad fine motor skill problems. This is ~50 years ago and understandable as many (most) parents were looking for excuses to institutionalize their "problem" children and docs at the time were willing to go along with it.

My parents don't work that way as older brother already had his own set of challenges. As dad said to mom when older bro got his first diagnosis: We've been dealt these cards, we will play them to the end. No fold.

Long story short: lil bro graduates HS, reads like a pro, rides bike, drives to work, builds model ships, Eagle Scout, has a job and an apartment. Um, well. So they did their job too well. His challenged friends from school are on gov assistance with paid rent and expenses, all of them. Except lil bro. Doesn't qualify, too 'competent.' G^@$%@@mit. He is still challenged, he is aware of his limitations and knows how to get along in the world thanks to his schooling and mom and dad.

When I was a kid, I knew I'd need to take care of him when I grew up, except I didn't need to. But now rents are crazy and he simply cannot afford the recent increases after "refurbishment" so it looks like he'll be moving back in with mom, luckily she has the space. Not sure about her tolerance for his quirks but there's no other option and she's plenty familiar with them. The thing for him is he's physically competent even with CP so working at a supermarket is doable for a (meh, formerly) reasonable income. He puts freakin' 40K steps in every day at work, I worry about how long his body can handle that but he loves to eat so is motivated. Whatever works, eh?

Sorry I just rambled here and was of no assistance but maybe I distracted you for a while.:flower:
Thank you. :heart: Really, it feels so good to know that others care so much. I have been stressing out so badly over my own impending deadline for all this, I have gotten physically sick (my doctor told me stress is not good for my heart at all and my brother knows this but I guess he's just tired of dealing with me and my disabilities all the time). I am thankful they haven't brought up 'assisted living' type places yet, if they ever do I'll just cry. But I'm already crying all the time now, so that's nothing new.

I wish my mom was the same way. Maybe then, I'd have learned to actually take care of myself better. But she was awful, always blamed others and never saw her own flaws or admitted them. And now, people I know are assuming I'm doing the exact same and being 'manipulative' with my brother's kindness. But that's how disability generally works - it requires a lot of love and patience, but eventually it'll hit a wall and the person(s) helping them will break.

Yeah, I am told that I am 'too competent' to be disabled at all. Even though I have clear documents showing my disabilities, I am still 'too young' and 'too smart' to need any assistance whatsoever. And it must just be 'female aches and pains' going on with me, so I must be 'faking it'.

Yeah, that is my brother's current issue too. He can't save up like he wants, his job doesn't pay enough and the bills/rent are taking a toll on him. Which is why I guess he's reaching the point where he's actually going to kick me out, unless I have a job (he doesn't expect me to pay the bills/rent at all though and he'd still pay for my food regardless so I don't get the point of his decision at all - feels like he just wants me gone by this point). He says he never wanted to think about kicking me out or go through with it at all, but everyone - even his partner - see me as a 'parasite' just mooching off of him and now he sees me that way too. And I can't even change his mind on this, if I try to he may just give up and kick me out immediately...or worse, smash my stuff in retaliation. Which he has threatened at least twice in the past.

It did help a bit, just hearing your experiences helped ease a bit of my own grief. But the fear and stress is still definitely there, I just feel like crying.