How does Speed-Gro affect Greenhouse crops in between seasons?

Based Frosty

Greenhorn
I'm currently 4 days from Winter Y1 and just gained access to the Greenhouse and want to plant a bunch of Starfruit using deluxe/normal speed grow. I know that any fertilizer applied before a season change (in GH) will disappear if the plant in question isn't native to the following season.
That said, with the 1.4 update allowing speed-gro to be added at any point in the crop's life cycle, my question(s) is if I apply the speed-gro before Winter will it increase the growth only for the couple days of the current season and return to a normal growth cycle starting the 1st of Winter, unless it was reapplied? Or does the Speed-gro boost get applied for the whole lifespan when you first plant your crop, even if it disappears from the ground?

Hi there! I've been in the same boat and I usually only put fertilizer at the beginning of every season as it usually lasts for the season only, doesn't really matter if it's the first 5 days of the season or first 15, but once you put it in a certain season, it only works until that specific season ends. Here's a snippet from the wiki:
Fertilizer used in the Greenhouse will expire at change of season, unless the season is one in which the crop normally grows. Since crop quality is determined at harvest time and not at planting time, fertilizer used in the Greenhouse on crops which will mature out of their normal growing season will disappear before harvest and have no effect.

Based Frosty

Greenhorn
Hi there! I've been in the same boat and I usually only put fertilizer at the beginning of every season as it usually lasts for the season only, doesn't really matter if it's the first 5 days of the season or first 15, but once you put it in a certain season, it only works until that specific season ends. Here's a snippet from the wiki:
I read that but it seems to be referring only to the quality of the crop, and not the overall speed in which it grows. It would seem overly complicated if a crop was planted with speed-gro for an amount of time, therefor growing on the faster schedule, and then somehow switches back to the normal growth cycle. I'm less concerned about the fertilizer lasting into the next season, more so just how it changes the speed. If the increased growth speed does disappear when the seasons change I would simply wait until the 1st of the month and add the speed-gro then, seeing as the 1.4 update allows that.

imnvs

Local Legend
All sorts of fertilizer (doesn't matter which), when used in the greenhouse, remains for the season...

...and will remain for the NEXT season too if the plant growing there as the season changes, is supposed to grow in that next season.

Example: say you've put any sort of fertilizer down and you're growing melons in spring, but then it turns to summer. When the melons are done, the fertilizer will still be there. If you're growing cauliflower, though, it will no longer be there.

imnvs

Local Legend
Considering fertilizer is only effective when placed, it doesn't really matter. At least not for the speed-gro stuff. Growth time is calculated on planting.
Yes, growth time is calculated at planting, but it is also possible to have it remain for a future planting so as to not need another round of speed-grow. Knowing the rules on how it works can be useful.

Me? I mostly plant ancient fruit and fruit trees.

Based Frosty

Greenhorn
Considering fertilizer is only effective when placed, it doesn't really matter. At least not for the speed-gro stuff. Growth time is calculated on planting.
This is what I wanted to know, so if speed gro is added before a season change it does not need to be reapplied for the new season to retain the growth cycle. Reapplying the fertilizer would then presumably only be needed if I want the next crop planted in the current season to be affected too.
Knowing all this it's now a decision whether it's worth the day or two advantage of adding the fertilizer now and losing it the following season, rather than losing a couple growth days to add it on day 1 of the new season and having it for a second round of crops.

Last edited:
This is what I wanted to know, so if speed gro is added before a season change it does not need to be reapplied for the new season to retain the growth cycle. Reapplying the fertilizer would then presumably only be needed if I want the next crop planted in the current season to be affected too.
Knowing all this it's now a decision whether it's worth the day or two advantage of adding the fertilizer now and losing it the following season, rather than losing a couple growth days to add it on day 1 of the new season and having it for a second round of crops.
If you are looking for profit in your greenhouse, it's almost always a good idea to go for multi-yield crops, in which case the Speed-Gro only works to reduce the initial growth time, it has no effect on following iterations. So for example, you could shave a week off of the month growth time by using Deluxe Speed-Gro on Ancient Fruit, but it would have no effect on the week between harvests thereafter.

That's not to say it isn't extremely useful, of course. Shaving an entire week off of the initial growth means you can do your geometric progression much faster, with shorter iterations between generational increases, shaving over an entire season off of your total time from initial plant to completely full greenhouse.

Cptldsilver

Planter
I know that certain speed growth bonuses are calculated at planting (literally the day it goes in the ground) and some are at least partly a mixture. Agriculturalist is calculated at planting while deluxe speed gro can get some of it benefits if used after planting. I'm not 100% but I think deluxe speed gro speeds at every "stage" of a growth cycle. Take a look at the crop growth calendar on the wiki and pay attention to how much time is saved at every stage with deluxe speed gro. Then report back and tell me if I'm wrong about my theory 😁.

Based Frosty

Greenhorn
I'm currently on Day 24 of Fall, Year 1, and this is the first day I have access to my Greenhouse. I'll be growing some coffee plants, my one ancient seed, and the rest will be Starfruit.
My plan in order to solve this issue will be to run an experiment with different variables using Starfruit for this situation.
1. Speed-gro added at planting and after season change
2. Speed-gro added at planting and not again after season change
3. Speed-gro not added at planting but added after season change
If there is no difference in growth time between 1 and 2, my original theory would be correct, and adding fertilizer after a season change would only affect any later crops planted. The 3rd variable will likely be the majority of my crops, as I don't quite have hundreds of either Speed-gro to lose for the extra 4 days of sped-up growth.