How do y'all discover Stardew Valley?

Rune Factory! That was my first farming/fighting game, and I played it heavily while I was off sick. My daughter suggested Stardew as a follow up, and here I am, having payed it through at least 6 times, all farms, and finally learned to fish! I prefer to play on an iPad, though I have the Switch version, and my last ambition is to get the perfection pay-off when the mobile glitch is fixed & walnut count is corrected. Then play again with the new release.

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
i was getting tired of Minecraft, started when Microsoft bought it, and found sdv. have started over twenty games and get to skull cavern but have not gotten very far in there. trying to complete fishing. mostly go to the cart and buy them but this new game i'm trying harder. play on xbox because i have to use a controller. left fingers are numb from military injury. but the game is so interesting and i am friends with leah so thats interesting. mostly play in the winter because i can't garden then.

(5-11-23) When i got bored playing minecraft i went on youtube to search for similar games to Minecraft. I watched some videos until the game called Stardew Valley caught my attention. So i downloaded the game and played it for like days and in the end i uninstall the game cause i don't understand how it works.

Months later, (11-26-23) i installed the game again on my phone, watched some tutorial for beginners until i understand how the game works, what to do and more.

What's yours?
I've heard it float around and i heard that many autistic people love it so i thought i would like it since I'm autistic XD not too much logic. also because my girlfriend wanted me to play stardew with her

Once upon a time, my family decided to get a family PC for the house. On said family PC, my older siblings set up some games for me and my other siblings to play. One of those games was Stardew Valley. I remember one of my siblings, who I was, and still am close to, said that I would like Stardew Valley. Then I played it.

And they were right. I then would go on to fumble my way through the game, not knowing anything, and loving it. I did all the "wrong" things and married Shane, after I spammed him with his "favorite" gift. Tulips. I didn't know what his loved gifts were. And I didn't care, because I liked tulips, and any husband of mine was gonna like them too.
oh my goshhhh XDD this gave me a good laugh

jameskuyper

Greenhorn
I was looking for a game to teach my kids about money - how it's necessary to plan ahead to make sure that you have enough to cover your expected expenses. It does do that, but not quite well enough. One of the first things my son figured out how to do is sleep through an entire month waiting for an event he was interested in to happen. He's gone through 17 game years in 100 hours of playing so far.
Neither you nor your animals should be able to go without a certain minimum amount of food for any length of time, without deleterious effect. The need to keep eating has been a driving economic force since life first evolved.

Korotan

Newcomer
It whas the 1. Februar 2019. For some reason I had on this day suddenly a big desire to play Harvest Moon again but as my 3DS broke down and Harvest Moon DS whas not physically playable for me anymore I looked up for a Harvest Moon on that day. I found Harvest Moon Light of Hope on this day and got pulled away by the reviews on Steam. But they also recommended Stardew Valley to me and then as I found out it whas also on GoG I bought it immedeataly. I fell in love that day so hard with it, that once Covid broke out, I bought a copy of the game every month and gave it away in the community giveaway on the GoG Forums to help people staying home and staying safe until the pandemic whas finally ended last year.

smellincoffee

Sodbuster
Call Me Kevin has introduced me to several games, chiefly Among Us and Stardew Valley. He did several different variants -- "Stardew Valley but I never Leave the Farm", "Stardew Valley But I Don't Farm", etc.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I started playing early on in the game and remember not being interested in it. I honestly don’t know specific dates but I do remember getting it on mobile in 2019 again because it seemed fun and loving it. Got it that Christmas just before Covid and really got sucked into 1.4 and eventually 1.5 content (the game was so so so much better in later updates than 1.0, if you ever play that version you’ll understand)

Veracious

Tiller
For me I got hooked with Animal Crossing New Horizon I have maxed the game with over 2000 hours and I was looking for something new...

My Partner told me about Stardew Valley I looked at the trailer an thought "ah it's just too different to ACNH I'm not sure" some time went by and my partner brought it for me,

I dabbled for a short time and then left it for a bit, after wards I decided to give it another go after my partner said to me to look up some videos on how to start out, so I did that annnnd now I'm hooked and in love with ❤ Stardew Valley.

I didn't like the art style to begin with as it was just so different to what I was use to but it grew on me and I've started considering other games with a similar art style.

My favourite part is that Concerned Ape still supports his game and new things (updates) still happen my hope is this happens for a long time yet,
I get disappointed when game developers stop releasing content, that is the sad reality for ACNH it was a huge success but no future updates after the DLC 2 years ago and nothing planned from what I've seen so far.
There was so much that could have been.

But Stardew Valley will always be a game on my collection of currently playing.

Dalurk

Tiller
During a Covid lockdown the BBC website had an article on relaxing computer games. I'm not really much of a gamer, but I had a look at the list and SDV stood out, mostly because it was cheap and available on PS4, so I bought it.

I found it anything but relaxing as my completist personality led me to spend long hours pursuing perfection on all farm types and creating various spreadsheets to track progress. Nonetheless it's become my favourite waste of time, now on PC for the ability to mod.