Help me with prismatic shards

wadethebold

Cowpoke
I am currently in fall of year 1 in Stardew Valley (Xbox One Version 1.5.4.1) and I just unlocked Calico Desert. I plan on starting the Skull Caverns but I really want to get the Galaxy Sword, however I haven’t found a Prismatic Shard yet. Does anyone know any 1.5.6 ways to get Prismatic Shards?

Last edited:

Elenna101

Farmer
The simplest way is probably to kill a whole lot of enemies. After you reach floor 120 of the mines, enemies gain more HP but they also gain a 1/200 chance of dropping a prismatic shard. The fastest way is probably to go to floors 45, 55, and 65 of the mines via the elevator, kill any enemies relatively near the entrance (don't bother walking too far), go back to floor 0 to reset the mines and repeat. I suggest those floors in particular because they spawn dust sprites, which a) tend to spawn in groups of several enemies so you can kill more enemies at once, and b) drop coal which you will probably want anyways.

(For anyone else seeing this question who might be on PC, you can use the Stardew Predictor website to see what geodes will give you. The results of a geode depend on the total number of geodes of any kind opened so far. So for example, if you have only one omni geode but you see that 4 geodes from now an omni will give you a prismatic shard, you can open three geodes of any other kind and then open the omni as the fourth geode to get the shard.
Unfortunately I don't believe you can access save files on XBox, but if you happen to know the seed number of your file, you can still use the Stardew Predictor by manually entering the seed number in the URL - e.g. go to https://mouseypounds.github.io/stardew-predictor/?id=611235816, but with the number in the URL replaced by your seed number.)

wadethebold

Cowpoke
The simplest way is probably to kill a whole lot of enemies. After you reach floor 120 of the mines, enemies gain more HP but they also gain a 1/200 chance of dropping a prismatic shard. The fastest way is probably to go to floors 45, 55, and 65 of the mines via the elevator, kill any enemies relatively near the entrance (don't bother walking too far), go back to floor 0 to reset the mines and repeat. I suggest those floors in particular because they spawn dust sprites, which a) tend to spawn in groups of several enemies so you can kill more enemies at once, and b) drop coal which you will probably want anyways.

(For anyone else seeing this question who might be on PC, you can use the Stardew Predictor website to see what geodes will give you. The results of a geode depend on the total number of geodes of any kind opened so far. So for example, if you have only one omni geode but you see that 4 geodes from now an omni will give you a prismatic shard, you can open three geodes of any other kind and then open the omni as the fourth geode to get the shard.
Unfortunately I don't believe you can access save files on XBox, but if you happen to know the seed number of your file, you can still use the Stardew Predictor by manually entering the seed number in the URL - e.g. go to https://mouseypounds.github.io/stardew-predictor/?id=611235816, but with the number in the URL replaced by your seed number.)
Thanks, I’ll make sure to do that. :)

qaija

Sodbuster
If you have access to the Quarry it is possible that an Iridium node or Mystic stone will spawn. If either one does, you will be able to get a Prismatic shard. If I do not have the Galaxy sword yet I will keep the Quarry clear of mining nodes. I don't know if this helps more spawn, but I do it. And the best time to do it is the first thing you do when you wake up.

If one DOES appear, you are guaranteed to get a Prismatic. Just follow these instructions:

When you first get up in the morning, go to the Quarry. If an Iridium node or Mystic stone are there, crack it open. If a Prismatic does not appear, restart your day and leave the node there until the next day. The following day go there again first thing in the morning and crack it open again. If no Prismatic, just rinse and repeat this procedure until one appears.

Also, I save the first jade I get and the moment I get a crystalarium I put the jade in it. The Desert trader will give you a Staircase for each jade you give him, but only on Sundays. With as few as 10 Staircases and around 50 bombs I will generally get a Prismatic shard. Having a speed food and drink buff will help you move around to blow up any Iridium or Mystic (rare) stones you find. If I don't get a Prismatic, I start the day over and try again until I succeed.

If you are unable to purchase bombs yet, I suggest you get the red, green, yellow, and blue scrolls you need and give them all to Gunther. Once you do, you will be able to purchase bombs from the Mine dwarf. You can check the Wiki for where to get the scrolls. The red and yellow ones are often the hardest for me to get. Both drop from tilling in the mines. There are two areas on level 95 of the mines and I will go there first thing in the morning until I get one and restart the day and try again if I do not. I usually even make 4 staircases so I can travel quickly to level 95 since I sometimes have to go a dozen or more times before I get the scroll I need.

One last note on a crystalarium. You can get one of these by purchasing the 25,000 bundle from the Vault at the Community center.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend

It's sadly 1/2000 for the post-mines diamond and prismatic shard and they both cannot be rerolled with burglar.
Some monsters have an inherenet chance that can be rerolled, in the mines it's pretty much only shadow rbutes, shamans, etc. but basically every monster in sc also has that chance so you can reset level 1 with a burglar ring and have about a 1/666.66... chance to get a shard a kill.

What I would recommend for a new player though is checking out your quarry, they often have 1-2 blue swirled stones called mystic stones that have a 1/4 chance of dropping a shard. The neat thing is that their drop is day based, so if you don't get your shard, reset the day so you never mined it, and come back the day after, so on and so forth until you get the shard.

If I haven't yet found one, I usually try to do the level 25 quest with the lava katana. That will almost always get me a prismatic shard from an iridium node or treasure room in skull cavern (both 4% chance). Another possibility is a rainbow trout pond- although it's very low chance, it's also very low effort.

Rhiannon

Farmer
I just cleared the quarry for the first time in probably two seasons and got not one but TWO prismatic shards on the same trip. I have a video of this on my YouTube channel, episode 40 (channel link below). I think in the patch notes, the chances of finding them were increased a while back:

Stardew Valley 1.5.3 was released on 15 January 2021. A hotfix was applied on 16 January 2021.

Balance changes

Elenna101

Farmer
I just cleared the quarry for the first time in probably two seasons and got not one but TWO prismatic shards on the same trip. I have a video of this on my YouTube channel, episode 40 (channel link below). I think in the patch notes, the chances of finding them were increased a while back:

Stardew Valley 1.5.3 was released on 15 January 2021. A hotfix was applied on 16 January 2021.

Balance changes
That's prismatic slimes, not prismatic shards - they're a monster that spawns for a specific Special Order Board quest.

wadethebold

Cowpoke

Balance changes
I saw you’re YouTube channel and it‘s pretty cool!

Rhiannon

Farmer
I saw you’re YouTube channel and it‘s pretty cool!
Thank you Wadethebold! I'm a beginner but having a BLAST with it. I had a huge list of things to do after I retired. Creating a gaming YouTube channel was not on it. Now it's my "job." *laughs* And what a fun job it is! Thanks for watching and hopefully subscribing.