Food status suggestions for better combat

psychedelist

Farmhand
While I enjoy the game a lot overall, the least enjoyable part for me personally was the combat for one single reason - food HP/energy restoration has no cooldown on it. Because of it, the combat is never about surviving, but only about how many enemies you can kill in a day, so it does get dull. I know that "stuffed" and "quenched" statuses already exist in the game's code, I made a little mod for myself that makes use of them, and they make the combat a lot more engaging. I would love an official support of it, some kind of a "hard combat" starting option that would include this (possibly amongst other things).

Currently: Whenever you are low on HP, you spam food that is too easy to get (such as salads and sashimi), with no penalty, enemies can't do anything about it, it is virtually impossible to die as long as you have enough food.
To be: Eating any food/drinking any drink gives a 1 minute "stuffed"/"quenched" status during which it's impossible to eat/drink another one. This brings a new dimension to combat that didn't exist before. Do you eat cheap sashimi that restores only little HP, or do you eat more expensive food to heal more? Do you eat/drink only Spicy Eel and Triple Shot Expresso conveniently sold in a store nearby, or do you eat something to raise Defense and drink something that heals and gives energy?

Another thing - swinging weapons should consume energy, so that energy management doesn't become irrelevant after early game.

Draconifors

Sodbuster
Another thing - swinging weapons should consume energy
Oh, no. Not in a game where energy only naturally regens while sleeping. That would get extremely frustrating extremely fast.

I've nothing against a "hard combat" option. I wouldn't use it, but options are always good.

Lew Zealand

Helper
While I enjoy the game a lot overall, the least enjoyable part for me personally was the combat for one single reason - food HP/energy restoration has no cooldown on it. Because of it, the combat is never about surviving, but only about how many enemies you can kill in a day, so it does get dull. I know that "stuffed" and "quenched" statuses already exist in the game's code, I made a little mod for myself that makes use of them, and they make the combat a lot more engaging. I would love an official support of it, some kind of a "hard combat" starting option that would include this (possibly amongst other things).

Currently: Whenever you are low on HP, you spam food that is too easy to get (such as salads and sashimi), with no penalty, enemies can't do anything about it, it is virtually impossible to die as long as you have enough food.
To be: Eating any food/drinking any drink gives a 1 minute "stuffed"/"quenched" status during which it's impossible to eat/drink another one. This brings a new dimension to combat that didn't exist before. Do you eat cheap sashimi that restores only little HP, or do you eat more expensive food to heal more? Do you eat/drink only Spicy Eel and Triple Shot Expresso conveniently sold in a store nearby, or do you eat something to raise Defense and drink something that heals and gives energy?

Another thing - swinging weapons should consume energy, so that energy management doesn't become irrelevant after early game.
Chowing down a gold star Cheez *while time freezes* (in single player) in the game as you're low on HP is pretty stacked OP towards the Farmer. And that you can do it again immediately after is also pretty crazy. At least in the Hard Mines, there's a Nauseous debuff that lasts quite a long time which makes it so you can't eat while it's active, similar to what you're proposing.

However I could see the Energy debuff being scaled with the Weapon, to where the cost is either minimal or nonexistent in weak weapons (in early game), but scales up in later game. LOL that's a fancy way of saying: the debuff will be irrelevant in early and late game as Cheez also replendishes Energy in later game which is easy to do.

psychedelist

Farmhand
Oh, no. Not in a game where energy only naturally regens while sleeping. That would get extremely frustrating extremely fast.
How so? Food restores energy also. That would be yet another possible dimension - some foods could prioritize HP while others - Energy, so you could always have a choice between restoring more HP or more Energy. I implemented the energy drain from weapon attacks in my mod too and it played just fine. Hammers consumed the most, swords middle, daggers the least, charge attacks consumed more than normal attacks (except for swords).