1.5 Exploits and Glitches that still work?

paladin graith

Greenhorn
So I just recently got the game for PC after playing on Xbox, but I tried an exploit that I used to do because money, but found it doesn't work on the newest update. Does anyone else know of other glitches and exploits that either work or have finally been patched?

The one I tried was the one where you open the journal while you fish to pause time. Maybe I'm doing it wrong due to a different system than what I'm used to, but that was a disappointing find for me. Used to get stupidly rich in the first month because I was level 10 fishing by day 7due to that...

ISSsloth

Farmer
I'm nearly certain there's a rule against sharing exploits on the forums, so I doubt you'll get any from here.

imnvs

Local Legend
I'm nearly certain there's a rule against sharing exploits on the forums
You know... I had assumed that, but I just went through the rules, and I couldn't find anything. Even though I couldn't find anything, I'm still hesitant to list any off.

Then again, there's one exploit that's quite publicly available on the wiki (if you know where to look), which does suggest tacit approval. Ape is also aware of it, and he is also on record saying that it would not be patched out of the game, which also suggests some tacit approval. The only reason this exploit is only available on some platforms? The platforms on which it is not available, it caused the game to crash.

Denule84

Greenhorn
You know... I had assumed that, but I just went through the rules, and I couldn't find anything. Even though I couldn't find anything, I'm still hesitant to list any off.

Then again, there's one exploit that's quite publicly available on the wiki (if you know where to look), which does suggest tacit approval. Ape is also aware of it, and he is also on record saying that it would not be patched out of the game, which also suggests some tacit approval. The only reason this exploit is only available on some platforms? The platforms on which it is not available, it caused the game to crash.
if the thing you’re thinking of is to do with money (again I won’t say), then it was patched in the 1.5 update on PC. It still will work for now on console though.

I'm nearly certain there's a rule against sharing exploits on the forums, so I doubt you'll get any from here.
I'm pretty sure it is not. I read rules carefully (twice now), I didn't see anything about this. The only thing forbidden is to talk about piracy.
In my opinion, it would be a nonsense to forbid to talk about how to cheat as long as you can download mods to cheat if you want to...

Elenna101

Farmer
I'm pretty sure CA is aware of most of the common exploits and has decided not to remove them? So it's probably okay to talk about them here? If not, I'm sorry and please don't ban me.

The journal trick was patched in 1.4, but if it helps, you can still get to level 8 or so by day 7 pretty easily, if you're good enough at fishing that you can start getting perfects fairly early. Depends how much time you spend fishing, too. But IIRC people have gotten to level 10 on day 7 without using the journal glitch, and going from 9 to 10 is a huge jump.

I'm guessing what imnvs is talking about is the thing where you can put item ID codes in names, and then whenever those names are said you get the item. I think it was patched out on some consoles, either for security reasons or because it was causing crashes, not sure. But it's still in 1.5 on PC as far as I know.

Denule84

Greenhorn
Oh I forgot that last one. Yer that still works on pc from what I’m aware of. I was thinking of the item stack one

imnvs

Local Legend
I'm guessing what imnvs is talking about is the thing where you can put item ID codes in names, and then whenever those names are said you get the item. I think it was patched out on some consoles, either for security reasons or because it was causing crashes, not sure. But it's still in 1.5 on PC as far as I know.
This was the one I was talking about, and yes, as I said, it was patched out on some platforms because it caused crashes on those platforms.

Sigrah

Farmer
I'm pretty sure CA is aware of most of the common exploits and has decided not to remove them? So it's probably okay to talk about them here? If not, I'm sorry and please don't ban me.

The journal trick was patched in 1.4, but if it helps, you can still get to level 8 or so by day 7 pretty easily, if you're good enough at fishing that you can start getting perfects fairly early. Depends how much time you spend fishing, too. But IIRC people have gotten to level 10 on day 7 without using the journal glitch, and going from 9 to 10 is a huge jump.

Well, I'm a pretty fanatical fisher in Stardew Valley in Spring Year 1. I literally spend most of Week 1 fishing in the mountain lake and, on rainy days, the river for catfish and shad, and at least half a given week+ the rest of Spring. But even as dedicated as I am, I have never hit Level 10 fishing before the 4th week of Spring Year 1. If there's a faster way or exploit, I've never heard of it.

As for exploits in general, I don't assume CA approves of them personally speaking. Like any developer, I just assume and believe he fixes exploits whenever possible and has a priority list as to which ones he focuses on. There have been some exploits and game mechanics that were heavily exploitable that he's fixed, and some of them had been around for years. Mushroom levels is a good example. Whether CA designed it to be a mechanic or was just a bug, it used to be that Mushroom levels would start at level 119 and ascend 1 floor a day until it reached level 81 (levels ending in 5 and 0 were never mushroom floors, even on the days they were supposed to be). Likewise, you could go to a Mushroom level, gather all the mushrooms, and then come back and do it again as many times as you liked during that day. It was both profitable and a fantastic way to gain foraging experience. That mechanic / bug was around for several years until CA fixed it, now it's a purely random rare event that happens as you enter the floor, and it is no longer repeatable like it was in the past.

Anyways, my point is that you can't assume CA approves of a given exploit, bug, or other mechanic that can be exploited just because it's widely known and may have been out there for a long time. I will say, though, that posting exploits, bugs, etc. can do a lot of good in bringing them to CA's attention, so that's a silver lining in helping him fix them. But, I think it's best for the mods to decide whether or not they should be posted anywhere, and their rules are all that matters here.

imnvs

Local Legend
Anyways, my point is that you can't assume CA approves of a given exploit, bug, or other mechanic that can be exploited just because it's widely known and may have been out there for a long time.
The name exploit has been around forever and CA has acknowledged it, and he didn't just do that. He addressed it saying that he would not be removing it. This certainly sounds like he approves of that one.

Elenna101

Farmer
Well, I'm a pretty fanatical fisher in Stardew Valley in Spring Year 1. I literally spend most of Week 1 fishing in the mountain lake and, on rainy days, the river for catfish and shad, and at least half a given week+ the rest of Spring. But even as dedicated as I am, I have never hit Level 10 fishing before the 4th week of Spring Year 1. If there's a faster way or exploit, I've never heard of it.
The discussion I was remembering is from this thread in the old forums. Looks like people got level 10 by day 7 (version 1.3, I believe, but that doesn't really matter, no exploits were used). But it's worth noting that they were spending 100% of their time and money on fishing, which I don't think is a good idea - in particular, I don't think it's worth spending 7.5k on the iridium rod in the first week of spring, YMMV.

How many perfects do you get (I assume you're a pretty good fisher, if you're doing it that much and you're catching catfish week 1) and how early do you buy the fiberglass rod? IMO if you're going for levelling up fishing, as soon as Willy's opens on the 2nd you should be getting the training rod for easier perfects, and then ideally you hit level 2 fishing and buy the fiberglass rod before Willy's closes on the 2nd. (Money for the rod and bait comes from running around the map D1 and selling fiber and forage, plus the fish caught D2.) I personally like to stay by the ocean on the 2nd, at least until 5 pm, it seems to work better than running up to the lake and running back down to buy the rod.

Fiberglass rod doubles your xp rate, which means you level up faster, which speeds up bite times for faster xp, and so on. Definitely worth it to get it as early as possible. After 5pm, not sure if it's better to stay by the ocean and fish, or go up to the lake. IIRC, the ocean is better xp, but the lake is better money. I did this before 1.5 came out (staying at the ocean all day) and after 5 tries or so I managed to get level 4 by the end of the day. (For me, getting enough money was a bigger issue than getting enough xp). If you can get the rod and the bait by 5pm, it should be easy enough to at least get well into fishing level 3.

Day 3 I went to the river. I barely got level 5, but I was spending some time running around because I wanted to also buy copper from Clint for an early pickaxe upgrade. (And then I realized I didn't have enough time/money for the actual upgrade... oh well). Also I apparently suck at catching catfish at low levels. Anyways that's where I stopped because 1.5 came out, but I was only 227 xp away from level 6, and with fishing at the lake I bet I could have gotten to level 7 on day 4, and then level 8 on day 5, or day 6 at worst. Even if you don't get fiberglass until the morning of day 3, that puts you less than a day behind me, so what I said above about level 8 by day 7 is probably still doable.

tl;dr buy the fiberglass rod early! And work on perfect catches, but it doesn't sound like that should be a problem.

Sigrah

Farmer
The discussion I was remembering is from this thread in the old forums. Looks like people got level 10 by day 7 (version 1.3, I believe, but that doesn't really matter, no exploits were used). But it's worth noting that they were spending 100% of their time and money on fishing, which I don't think is a good idea - in particular, I don't think it's worth spending 7.5k on the iridium rod in the first week of spring, YMMV.

How many perfects do you get (I assume you're a pretty good fisher, if you're doing it that much and you're catching catfish week 1) and how early do you buy the fiberglass rod? IMO if you're going for levelling up fishing, as soon as Willy's opens on the 2nd you should be getting the training rod for easier perfects, and then ideally you hit level 2 fishing and buy the fiberglass rod before Willy's closes on the 2nd. (Money for the rod and bait comes from running around the map D1 and selling fiber and forage, plus the fish caught D2.) I personally like to stay by the ocean on the 2nd, at least until 5 pm, it seems to work better than running up to the lake and running back down to buy the rod.

Fiberglass rod doubles your xp rate, which means you level up faster, which speeds up bite times for faster xp, and so on. Definitely worth it to get it as early as possible. After 5pm, not sure if it's better to stay by the ocean and fish, or go up to the lake. IIRC, the ocean is better xp, but the lake is better money. I did this before 1.5 came out (staying at the ocean all day) and after 5 tries or so I managed to get level 4 by the end of the day. (For me, getting enough money was a bigger issue than getting enough xp). If you can get the rod and the bait by 5pm, it should be easy enough to at least get well into fishing level 3.

Day 3 I went to the river. I barely got level 5, but I was spending some time running around because I wanted to also buy copper from Clint for an early pickaxe upgrade. (And then I realized I didn't have enough time/money for the actual upgrade... oh well). Also I apparently suck at catching catfish at low levels. Anyways that's where I stopped because 1.5 came out, but I was only 227 xp away from level 6, and with fishing at the lake I bet I could have gotten to level 7 on day 4, and then level 8 on day 5, or day 6 at worst. Even if you don't get fiberglass until the morning of day 3, that puts you less than a day behind me, so what I said above about level 8 by day 7 is probably still doable.

tl;dr buy the fiberglass rod early! And work on perfect catches, but it doesn't sound like that should be a problem.
I recently started a new game and recorded my first 7 days in a fresh game, that might answer all your questions better than me simply trying to explain it all. It's slightly atypical in that I went to the mines on Day 5 thinking it was a good luck day (but later learned it wasn't), and also spent days 6 and 7 in the mines because they definitely were good luck days. Typically, I hit the mines on Day 5 if it's a good luck day, then go again a couple days early in week 2 to get enough copper to upgrade to a copper watering can. Also, I push my character hard in the first 2 weeks because there seems to be a grace period on PC where you can exhaust yourself and pass out at 2am and still wake up with full energy the next day, at least that's been my experience and you can see it going from Day 1 to 2.

Anyways, the link to the video is below. If you want to skip to Day 2 when I get to the beach to get my bamboo fishing rod and start the fishing, it starts at about the 21st minute. From there, you can skip around however you like. I'm not a video expert, so I don't know how to insert jump points or other stuff like that, but at least you can see what I typically do. Feel free to judge away, I'm always open to new ideas.

https://youtu.be/jKxv_ckUAI

paladin graith

Greenhorn

What's this about the Fiberglass rod boosting XP? Is this new? How'd people learn of this as I don't see anything about it on it's item description.

Elenna101

Farmer
Also, I push my character hard in the first 2 weeks because there seems to be a grace period on PC where you can exhaust yourself and pass out at 2am and still wake up with full energy the next day, at least that's been my experience and you can see it going from Day 1 to 2.
Gonna glance through your video in a bit (maybe tomorrow) but first, this is because when you level up that night, you always start the next day with full energy. (I think I've heard that levels 5 and 10 are an exception to that? Not sure.) Presumably day 1 you're levelling up foraging by cutting wood for chests, and that's why you start day 2 with full energy.

Edit: This is probably obvious, but the reason you're seeing this mostly in the first two weeks is because the first few levels of each skill are easy to get so you're levelling up a lot at first.

What's this about the Fiberglass rod boosting XP? Is this new? How'd people learn of this as I don't see anything about it on it's item description.
Sorry for the confusion, the fiberglass rod doesn't boost xp in itself. What I meant is that when you use bait, you get fish twice as quickly, and since you get xp for each fish you catch, using bait (which you can only do with the fiberglass rod) lets you catch twice as much fish in the same amount of time so you get xp faster because of that.

Sigrah

Farmer
Gonna glance through your video in a bit (maybe tomorrow) but first, this is because when you level up that night, you always start the next day with full energy. (I think I've heard that levels 5 and 10 are an exception to that? Not sure.) Presumably day 1 you're levelling up foraging by cutting wood for chests, and that's why you start day 2 with full energy.

Edit: This is probably obvious, but the reason you're seeing this mostly in the first two weeks is because the first few levels of each skill are easy to get so you're levelling up a lot at first.
Never heard that you start the next day with full energy if you level up a skill before. I'll have to test that next new game I start and see for myself. As for the video, all the fishing happens on days 2, 3 and 4. One thing you'll notice is that I don't use the training rod, and that's because large mouth bass are more important to me on day 2 than the experience itself, along with the possibility of increased fish quality that sell for more than base price. The training rod doesn't allow for either of those, so I just avoid it and go with the basic rod. Besides, by day 3, I'm replacing my bamboo one with the fiberglass one anyways, though I normally don't push to get it before I can afford more bait (yeah, that was an "oops" by me).

Anyways, I might try a new recording in the future and hope I'm less weirded out like I was this time around, it's the first time I've ever actually tried recording myself playing a game. It felt really bizarre doing that, especially because I wanted it to be continuous so no one could say I was using cheats or hacks or anything. Live and learn I guess.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Other than the aforementioned exploit that most people know about, there are two others that I am immediately aware of (and have tested to confirm them). The first exploit pertains to mail from NPCs that contain presents. Basically, if you know what items this particular NPC tends to send as presents, you can save scum the present by exiting to the title screen and reloading the day until you get the item that you want. The second exploit pertains to the quality of harvested crops. I've discovered that, instead of the quality of a crop rolling when it's ready to harvest and consistently staying that quality, it actually re-rolls each day that the crop is ready to harvest. Let's say you want a certain crop to be gold, but it isn't. Reload the day and do not harvest that crop. I'm not sure if you still need to water it for this to work or not, but I did it just in case. The next day, harvest that crop again, and if it's still not gold, rinse and repeat until it is.

Now, full disclosure, I would not mind if these exploits were eventually patched out. They do feel cheaty to me. I like a challenge, and I prefer to do things legitimately. To fix these, maybe have the contents of a letter be determined upon being sent rather than when they're opened, and have crop quality roll when grown and stay that quality until harvested.

Ereo

Helper
The crops don't need to be watered for the quality to change. Slightly less cheaty option for when you have many of the crop: fill your inventory and leave only one open spot. Harvest one, if it's the quality you want keep harvesting. Since your inventory is full, you'll only harvest stackable items.

If it's not your quality, keep harvesting until you get to one that can't be harvested. Take the wrong quality crop out of your inventory and harvest the next one.

It's even easier if you already have one in the quality you need, just take it and fill up your inventory.

imnvs

Local Legend
I'm not sure those are exactly "exploits" any more than quitting and reloading when you die in the mines is an "exploit".

Ereo

Helper
Yeah, I don't view that as an exploit either.

I'd define exploit as a way to advance in a way not intended in game.