Solved Sudden Black Screen Entering Community Center

Knightbro

Greenhorn
Hello everyone,

I'm in Fall Year 2 of my current game, with Community Center almost completed..

All of a sudden I am having a pitch black screen and getting an error within SMAPI when I try to enter the Community Center. I can still access my menu, and move my cursor around the screen, but cannot do anything else.

Things to include when asking for help:
Platform
(Windows)
Game version (64bit)
SMAPI log
(https://smapi.io/log/32b30bc449124b8b93fcedd9aa9a8859)
Steps to reproduce (no idea.. enter the community center)
Expected vs Actual result (expected: CS loads, actual: CS gives black loading screen)

If anyone has any insight or suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Thank you,

Knightbro

Last edited:

Kreeate

Rancher
Hello everyone,

I'm in Fall Year 2 of my current game, with Community Center almost completed..

All of a sudden I am having a pitch black screen and getting an error within SMAPI when I try to enter the Community Center. I can still access my menu, and move my cursor around the screen, but cannot do anything else.

Things to include when asking for help:
Platform
(Windows)
Game version (64bit)
SMAPI log
(https://smapi.io/log/32b30bc449124b8b93fcedd9aa9a8859)
Steps to reproduce (no idea.. enter the community center)
Expected vs Actual result (expected: CS loads, actual: CS gives black loading screen)

If anyone has any insight or suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Thank you,

Knightbro

Hi,

Please can you try to verify your game files. Just so we can eliminate that as a possible cause of the issue.

Kreeate

Rancher
Ahh, Yes sorry. I successfully verified integrity of game files within steam.

Still blacked out CS after that.
Okay, thanks.

I suspect the culprit may be the Ridgeside Village mod. It was last updated on 28 August 2021 and I can't see any specific updates for the SDV 1.5.5 beta version so there are bound to be some issues. Could you try to temporarily disable it and see it the issue persists?

1635027949294.png

Knightbro

Greenhorn
I have a question.
When you are playing the game, a sudden black screen appeared.
Can you hear the background noise? Just like it sounded normal?
I believe so? It was in the community center so it was pretty quiet normally I think, but of course now I cannot recall. However, I do still have menu sounds?

Okay, thanks.

I suspect the culprit may be the Ridgeside Village mod. It was last updated on 28 August 2021 and I can't see any specific updates for the SDV 1.5.5 beta version so there are bound to be some issues. Could you try to temporarily disable it and see it the issue persists?

I can certainly remove the mod temporarily, and will report back. I am currently engaged to marry one of the ridgeside companions (however, this black screen error started happening before that)

I will see if that changes anything or not! (Although I hope not, as like I said, the game was running fine up until this point with ridgeside)

Kreeate

Rancher
I believe so? It was in the community center so it was pretty quiet normally I think, but of course now I cannot recall. However, I do still have menu sounds?

I can certainly remove the mod temporarily, and will report back. I am currently engaged to marry one of the ridgeside companions (however, this black screen error started happening before that)

I will see if that changes anything or not! (Although I hope not, as like I said, the game was running fine up until this point with ridgeside)
If you've recently updated SMAPI beta that may have changed something. It could also be an event that has not been triggered before.
Let's see if the issue goes away with Ridgeside disabled.

Knightbro

Greenhorn
Okay, thanks.

View attachment 6931
Ok, ACTUALLY WEIRD, my Ridgeside mod is not appearing inside of my mod folder for Stardew? So I couldn't move it because it's not even there.. I don't know how that would happen.

Edit: Nevermind, I was in C: instead of D: drive... just being clueless over here.

Kreeate

Rancher
Ok, ACTUALLY WEIRD, my Ridgeside mod is not appearing inside of my mod folder for Stardew? So I couldn't move it because it's not even there.. I don't know how that would happen.

Edit: Nevermind, I was in C: instead of D: drive... just being clueless over here.
No problem. Take your time, no need to rush ;)

Did you install it with Vortex, or was it a manual install?

Knightbro

Greenhorn
Unfortunately deleting Ridgeside, did not fix the problem; still got the black screen of death as soon as I entered the community center.

Edit: a manual install.

Kreeate

Rancher
Unfortunately deleting Ridgeside, did not fix the problem; still got the black screen of death as soon as I entered the community center.

Edit: a manual install.
Thanks. Mods that sometimes cause issues can leave lingering effects, even after uninstalling them. But I doubt that's the case here.
I'll dig further. In the meantime perhaps someone else will have some insight into what exactly the issue may be.

Knightbro

Greenhorn
Yep. mouse is correct.

View attachment 6934

@Knightbro , disable the [CP] CommunityCenterBundleOverhaul mod and test again please?
Ok, I will give that a try. Could this have occurred because I had bundle rewards from fishing bundles that the game would not let me claim?

And if so, can I just change this "0 166 5" value reward to any other reward, and it potentially fix the problem?

Kreeate

Rancher
Ok, I will give that a try. Could this have occurred because I had bundle rewards from fishing bundles that the game would not let me claim?

And if so, can I just change this "0 166 5" value reward to any other reward, and it potentially fix the problem?
Here's a fixed content.json file

Extract it, then paste it into [CP] CommunityCenterBundleOverhaul folder and overwrite the old file.

Had some missing description

1635032603063.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Knightbro

Greenhorn
Here's a fixed content.json file

Extract it, then paste it into [CP] CommunityCenterBundleOverhaul folder and overwrite the old file.

Had some missing description
View attachment 6937
I got the following error on bootup after replacing old file with yours:

[Event Repeater] Mod crashed on entry and might not work correctly. Technical details:
Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException: Can't parse JSON file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Mods\[CP] CommunityCenterBundleOverhaul\content.json. This doesn't seem to be valid JSON.
Technical details: After parsing a value an unexpected character was encountered: ". Path 'DynamicTokens[0].Value', line 18, position 6.
at StardewModdingAPI.Toolkit.Serialization.JsonHelper.ReadJsonFileIfExists[TModel](String fullPath, TModel& result) in SMAPI.Toolkit\Serialization\JsonHelper.cs:line 74
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentPack.ReadJsonFile[TModel](String path) in SMAPI\Framework\ContentPack.cs:line 80
at EventRepeater.ModEntry.Entry(IModHelper helper) in E:\Stardew Vally Modding\EventRepeater\EventRepeater\ModEntry.cs:line 64
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.LoadMods(IModMetadata[] mods, JsonHelper jsonHelper, ContentCoordinator contentCore, ModDatabase modDatabase) in SMAPI\Framework\SCore.cs:line 1529

Not sure if this is anything I should worry about, but of course red scares me.

Kreeate

Rancher
I got the following error on bootup after replacing old file with yours:

[Event Repeater] Mod crashed on entry and might not work correctly. Technical details:
Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException: Can't parse JSON file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Mods\[CP] CommunityCenterBundleOverhaul\content.json. This doesn't seem to be valid JSON.
Technical details: After parsing a value an unexpected character was encountered: ". Path 'DynamicTokens[0].Value', line 18, position 6.
at StardewModdingAPI.Toolkit.Serialization.JsonHelper.ReadJsonFileIfExists[TModel](String fullPath, TModel& result) in SMAPI.Toolkit\Serialization\JsonHelper.cs:line 74
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentPack.ReadJsonFile[TModel](String path) in SMAPI\Framework\ContentPack.cs:line 80
at EventRepeater.ModEntry.Entry(IModHelper helper) in E:\Stardew Vally Modding\EventRepeater\EventRepeater\ModEntry.cs:line 64
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.LoadMods(IModMetadata[] mods, JsonHelper jsonHelper, ContentCoordinator contentCore, ModDatabase modDatabase) in SMAPI\Framework\SCore.cs:line 1529

Not sure if this is anything I should worry about, but of course red scares me.

My bad... small formatting error. Now fixed.

Attachments

I had the same issue, too, with my Macbook. – I have no mod.
When the black screen appeared on my screen, I could hear the birds chirping and menu sound – whenever I pushed the ESC button.
All I did was push "Control + Command + F" by opening a chat message.

Maybe call the chat message shortcut if the black screen appeared suddenly. I bet it's a T button for windows.
If you want to reset or leave the game in mac version, I push Command + Q
I am not sure about Windows.

I hope this gives you some idea on dealing with a sudden black screen.